Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Dallas - Donovan McNabb– “Redskins, I’ll Pay YOU to Let Me Go!”

HapHaszard

And Bruce got a great contract signed when it was done last season. We can keep #5 until his value is very much down to any team wanting to pick him up for free (pick wise) then dump him before we have to pay him. Brilliant if you ask me from a Redskin franchise stand point. That contract is designed to give us all the leverage, the most important change IMO to the FO. Bruce is gonna be around for a while IMO, regardless of how Shanny goes.

In theory, it was a great contract for us as it allowed us to control our destiny with McNabb. (and it assumed there would still be a CBA in place)

However, in practice, as we have already shown our hand with McNabb, and he has limited suitors, the contract is a hindrance as there are massive salary implications for any team who would want to acquire him. It's actually a burden in terms of getting a draft pick compensation.

At the time it was a brilliant contract, especially if McNabb had played well. Now, it is a bit of an albatross - no team is going to take a chance on McNabb knowing they have to pay him $10 MM before he even takes a snap for them, not to mention if they want to keep him a for longer (which if you trade a pick, you might want to do - Redskins excluded) his salaries are: 2012: $11.5 million (+ $750,000 in per-game roster bonuses), 2013: $12.5 million (+ $1.5 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2014: $13 million (+ $3 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2015: $12.75 million (+ $2.25 million in per-game roster bonuses)

It's a great deal for us today assuming we are OK with cutting him - but a tough deal to swallow for another team to trade for him without a major renegotiation.

Ironically, Haynesworth's contract is far more managable for a team to assume based on his low annual salary in 2011 ($5.4) and 2012 ($6.7).

[/color]

In theory, it was a great contract for us as it allowed us to control our destiny with McNabb. (and it assumed there would still be a CBA in place)

However, in practice, as we have already shown our hand with McNabb, and he has limited suitors, the contract is a hindrance as there are massive salary implications for any team who would want to acquire him. It's actually a burden in terms of getting a draft pick compensation.

At the time it was a brilliant contract, especially if McNabb had played well. Now, it is a bit of an albatross - no team is going to take a chance on McNabb knowing they have to pay him $10 MM before he even takes a snap for them, not to mention if they want to keep him a for longer (which if you trade a pick, you might want to do - Redskins excluded) his salaries are: 2012: $11.5 million (+ $750,000 in per-game roster bonuses), 2013: $12.5 million (+ $1.5 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2014: $13 million (+ $3 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2015: $12.75 million (+ $2.25 million in per-game roster bonuses)

It's a great deal for us today assuming we are OK with cutting him - but a tough deal to swallow for another team to trade for him without a major renegotiation.

Ironically, Haynesworth's contract is far more managable for a team to assume based on his low annual salary in 2011 ($5.4) and 2012 ($6.7).

I would completely agree if I didnt watch Minnesotta hand Peen Texting Favre 17.5 million last year. McNabbs extension was absolutely brilliant. We gain exclusive rights of McNabb for 3.5? Accelerating guarenteed money to Haynesworth was absolutely brilliant. His cap # is low enough for lots to take chances.

Vinny wouldnt of done either and we would of been stuck with real albatross's

Why do I keep seeing articles speculating that we could trade McNabb if we get him to restructure his contract?

Last I checked, you couldn't restructure a contract until a year had passed since the last "change". Unless that doesn't apply to new contracts? In which case he hasn't restructured this one yet.

shanallen is no better than vinny

stupid old ****bags, we need a coach whose ego isnt so big he cant breathe and a VP who actually knows football. stupid stupid scum

Dude, I think you need to take a break from message boards. Possibly forever. Let that anger out some where.

I've never seen you post something insightful, about anything.

If Donovan wants out so bad then let him work the deal with the condition we get our second round back. If he can't get a deal done then he is stuck in Washington, he might surprise us with his potential skills as his own agent.

lol, I don't think McNabb or his agent have control over the picks that we gave away to get him. Fact is, we gambled and it didn't pay off.

shanallen is no better than vinny

stupid old ****bags, we need a coach whose ego isnt so big he cant breathe and a VP who actually knows football. stupid stupid scum

You get out often? Perhaps a nice walk outside would do you some good.

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 03:47 PM ----------

rumor: I have heard from one source that as soon as a CBA is announced that McNabb will be traded, the details are almost complete but nothing can be done until a CBA is in effect. Now how reliable is this source? He is about 50/50 so far over the last 2 years, so take it with a grain of salt.

You get out often? Perhaps a nice walk outside would do you some good.

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 03:47 PM ----------

rumor: I have heard from one source that as soon as a CBA is announced that McNabb will be traded, the details are almost complete but nothing can be done until a CBA is in effect. Now how reliable is this source? He is about 50/50 so far over the last 2 years, so take it with a grain of salt.

Interesting.

Something to consider is that by the time a CBA is in place and a trade COULD happen, the draft will have happened and many teams in the "McNabb Sweepstakes" just wouldn't have a need there any longer.

So if this doesn't happen, I'm not sure I'd count it as a "miss" for your source.

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 03:56 PM ----------

When I read this, I thought there was no possible way that was true. Then I looked at his forum post history. My apologies, Conn :ols:

Apology accepted :D

I believe that - but I also believe we are months from a new CBA, and think that the closer we get to the start of the season, the less likely this trade becomes.

the fact that the skins gave up so much for him makes it easy to want him gone if he doesnt want to be here.

This makes no sense.

Gave up a 2nd round draft pick for him -- that pisses me off. I'd like to get something in return.

You're obviously not a fan of McNabb at all -- I would have at least tried to give the guy a fair shot instead of 13 games on a **** team. Shanahan handled it horribly.

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 04:25 PM ----------

Its hard to believe how idiotic so many skins fans are. You really have that much hate for a guy who exudes class, was in the first year of a new system, and was still on pace to set a franchise record for passing yards. The guy is a leader and should have had the opportunity to shore up the qb spot for 3-4 years while the rest of the glaring weaknesses of this team were addressed. Instead, we now will suck ass for at least the next three to four years because we have all those holes AND have now pissed away a good QB. Really, who else is going to better under center for us next year than this 6 time pro bowler? At least we could have bought some time and developed someone else.

So this^^^

So much venom and moronic points of view on this board. Embarrassing.

Make the Vikings trade for him

Giggidy.

He must be worth a 4 that could become a 3 or at worst a 5 that could become a 4.

However, I'm not an expert on contracts so I don't know if that silly contract we signed him to last season makes him untradable or not.

but dont you think if it were that- him just needing to learn the system- that there would be no question about him being here as our QB? esp given what we gave up for him?

theres something more here. shanny doesnt want him, despite his successful previous years in the league and what he gave up for him. he believes he cant get it done. that tells me something.

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 11:37 AM ----------

and what BLC said is right. i couldnt care less about mcnabb feeling slighted. i'm a redskins fan. mcnabb hasnt done dick for me or my team. if he cant get it done, we need to move on in the best interest of the team, not his feelings.

I would find it hard to blame McNabb for last season,however i hear what your saying.

This makes no sense.

Gave up a 2nd round draft pick for him -- that pisses me off. I'd like to get something in return.

You're obviously not a fan of McNabb at all -- I would have at least tried to give the guy a fair shot instead of 13 games on a **** team. Shanahan handled it horribly..

i think you misunderstood me. i agree that with you- i'd like to get something in return. my point was that if shanny is ready to pull the plug after 13 games, there is more than just him not being able to learn the system. shanny thinks he's done.

i actually was a fan of mcnabb. i liked him, and i would have loved to see it work out here. but he didnt get it done. he's the one on the field not getting it done, so i do hold him more accountable than shanny, and i realize many dont agree with that. shanny thought he could play, he couldnt, so thats that.

certainly, it could have been handled better. but as for his benching in the first place, i dont have a problem with it. i thought he wasnt playing very well, too.

I don't have any use for McNabb, but it's not fair to characterize my feelings as "hatred.."

I didn't want him to begin with, thought he would fail, and said so at the time.

When it became obvious he was failing, deserved to be benched and the acquisition was a mistake, I wasn't supposed to say so. Why? Because he's "classy," or something.

Sorry, I don't buy it. For starters, he doesn't "exude class" to me. He exudes passive aggressive ****iness.

And after we benched him I got sick and tired of all the mediots lecturing that he "deserved better" because he's "classy."

So being "classy" means you're never allowed to be benched? Just keep sending him out there to miss open targets and throw awful picks?

And when he makes the bone-headed play of the year -- jogging out of bounds instead of sliding when we are trying to kill the clock -- don't you DARE call him dumb. Because then you're hinting something racial on us, and there's no place for that.

I'm sick of it. I really don't have anything against him as a human being, but I didn't want that Eagle, knew he would fail here, and will be happy to see him leave.

To paraphrase (and clean up) Alec Baldwin's rant to the sales team in Glengarry Glen Ross:

"Nice guy? I don't give a crap. Good father? Screw you, go home and play with your kids! This is business here, and you better produce -- if not, it's hit the bricks pal, because you are out!"

i think i agree with all of this. good point about that passive aggressive ****iness. i'm not sure he's as 'classy' as many give him credit for. and another good point about him not being as smart as he is eloquent. i think hes not nearly as bright, classy or a team leader as he's made out to be.

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 06:26 PM ----------

I would find it hard to blame McNabb for last season,however i hear what your saying.

not saying he's solely to blame, but for a long time, i 'defended' campbell cuz of the **** he had to deal with- bad line, average at best WR's, no running game (for his last 18 months here, that is), constantly changing offense, etc.

i'm not about to give mcnabb- whose certainly better than campbell- the same benefit of the doubt. after what he cost us and what he produced, we as skins fans deserved better. he's now saying he wants out of here, and i'm a little surprised with the sympathy he's getting.

he's a former rival who set our team back with his worst season in 12 years. and now is crying to get out of here. i'm definitely missing something here, cuz i dont get it.

Blame the people that brought him in, not the player. McNabb was all class here, the results weren't the greatest, but the vitriol towards the man I don't get other than him being a long time Eagle.

Shanahan and company should be blamed. It turned out to be a terrible trade. One I have to admit, I thought was a solid move at the time.

But McNabb... well, he was far from all class here. The Fletcher Smith nonsense exposed that.

Also, ask the insiders on this board. His Redskins teammates are hardly devastated about him moving on. And a lot of his old teammates in Philly couldn't wait for him to go. The words "phony" and "two faced" come up a lot.

Blame the people that brought him in, not the player. McNabb was all class here, the results weren't the greatest, but the vitriol towards the man I don't get other than him being a long time Eagle.
I dunno about him being completely classy, but yeah, not totally his fault things didn't work out. I think the negative comments from his Eagles teammates were more to the point of McNabb not carrying the team anymore. He wasn't the same player that led them to a Superbowl, anymore. Wish our front office had seen it.

I wasn't a fan of seeing McNabb yukking it up on the sideline after a failed series, or even after getting pulled, but he was like that at Philly too.

I really wonder if the negative rumors now say as much about our disfunction as about McNabb. When we've been at our lowest points (especially Spurrier, Zorn) everybody who leaves us gets ripped. For example, is our offense even on speaking terms with our defense in the locker room?

I dunno about him being completely classy, but yeah, not totally his fault things didn't work out. I think the negative comments from his Eagles teammates were more to the point of McNabb not carrying the team anymore.

According to my source -- a sports agent who reps a couple Eagles -- a lot of the younger guys in Philly thought he was two-faced, soft, and out of shape.

though im not sure how much to blame the front office (shanny, allen, whoever), if i play devils advocate, heres what they did-

- for a somewhat steep price, they brought it a somewhat aging (depending on how you view age and QB's) division rival who had been very successful in his first dozen or so years in the league. i would say they believed in him. some thought it was a great move.

he rewards the front office and redskins fans by having his worst season since he was a rookie.

he played mediocre football. why is mcnabb off the hook?

as for him being 'all class', as was said, the fletcher smith stuff rubbed me the same way it rubbed other people. he was two faced. not very classy, imo.

but how does him being classy enter the picture anyhow? the man didnt play anywhere near what was expected? like nightbird said earlier, i dont give a damn how classy you are if your play sucks. not at the QB position especially. we're talking about class? how about not throwing a pass into the ground on 3rd and 6 every other series?

'class' got us 6-10. and it wasnt even really class.

So nice holding all the cards for once.

We're holding all the cards but showed everyone our hand, and its not even a good hand. The reason we wont get top compensation for him is because we've already shown everyone in the league that we arn't interested in McNabb. It was a huge mistake by Shanahan to bench McNabb and then sign him to a deal. We overpaid for a guy we didnt even want and devalued his trade potential by benching him twice. And now we expect someone to pay us back?? We're holding squat. The cards might as well be in everyone else's hands.

Per LL on his Twitter:

McNabb's a **** and almost got in a fight in the locker room......again

Unless I took this line out of context, that says a lot about McNabb.

I'm just glad the front office can admit a mistake and move on. Yes, we traded away a 2nd and 4th for him, but at this point those are sunk costs. Admit the mistake and move on. That's the way a good front office runs. I applaud it. Every team and organization makes mistakes, whether it be trades, draft, free agency, etc, but the good teams will move on from their miscues quickly and remedy the problem. That's what Shanny is doing when he eventually let's McNabb go. Just my 2 cents.

Archived