Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Dallas - Donovan McNabb– “Redskins, I’ll Pay YOU to Let Me Go!”

HapHaszard

no venom. he seems like a nice enough guy. i just want to win. and it doesnt appear that he's going to be able to help us do that. so, good riddance. the fact that the skins gave up so much for him makes it easy to want him gone if he doesnt want to be here.

I find it funny, how many people were willing to give Jason Campbell years to learn a system, but Mcnabb is suppose to win in one year with no OL or WR lol

Its hard to believe how idiotic so many skins fans are. You really have that much hate for a guy who exudes class, was in the first year of a new system, and was still on pace to set a franchise record for passing yards. The guy is a leader and should have had the opportunity to shore up the qb spot for 3-4 years while the rest of the glaring weaknesses of this team were addressed. Instead, we now will suck ass for at least the next three to four years because we have all those holes AND have now pissed away a good QB. Really, who else is going to better under center for us next year than this 6 time pro bowler? At least we could have bought some time and developed someone else.

I miss a lot of discussions here, player/coach interviews and tweets. So, could someone please tell me what I missed that has some members here so disgusted with McNabb that they have resorted to calling him names? What exactly did he do?

While much of the venom has nothing to do with this, the assumption that McNabb was a stalwart in the locker room and a strong leader on this team has been strongly hinted as false.

Most of the venom should be directed at the coaching staff decision approximately one year ago.

But McNabb was neither the model teammate, nor the hardest worker, in his short time here. (two things that were as true here as they were in Philly - should have come as no surprise)

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 11:32 AM ----------

It's the cost they should pay for making the dumb move in the first place. Besides, if Haynesworth can get paid millions to sit on the bench, why not McNabb?

Haynesworth has already been paid. McNabb has not. Huge difference.

I find it funny, how many people were willing to give Jason Campbell years to learn a system, but Mcnabb is suppose to win in one year with no OL or WR lol

but dont you think if it were that- him just needing to learn the system- that there would be no question about him being here as our QB? esp given what we gave up for him?

theres something more here. shanny doesnt want him, despite his successful previous years in the league and what he gave up for him. he believes he cant get it done. that tells me something.

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 11:37 AM ----------

and what BLC said is right. i couldnt care less about mcnabb feeling slighted. i'm a redskins fan. mcnabb hasnt done dick for me or my team. if he cant get it done, we need to move on in the best interest of the team, not his feelings.

The only compensation we can expect is the mental compensation we can get from holding McNabb until the last possible minute before releasing him - there by screwing him over a little bit. That and a few bucks.

We have zip, zero, nada leverage here, and anyone still holding out hope that there is a draft pick coming back to us needs to give it up now.

So glad you are not our GM with that kind of narrow minded thinking. Of course we have leverage. We can hang onto McNabb until the first day of the new season without paying him his $10 million roster bonus.

If a team really wants to sign McNabb as a free agent QB, do you think they want him one day after the first regular season game? Of course not. A team would want him as early as possible to learn their offense and workout with its offensive players. The more time McNabb has in training camp and practice, the more effective he will be for the new team in the coming season.

So yeah, we can get a draft pick or player in exchange for McNabb. Just depends how much another team wants a veteran QB and how much the team believes McNabb is the answer for them.

Waiting costs the Skins nothing; but it could bring compensation. We certainly have nothing to lose holding onto him until the first regular season game. Costs the team very little to keep him on the roster until the first game. Unfair to McNabb? Well, maybe; but McNabb and his agent agreed to the contract. They knew what could happen.

NFL football is a business. McNabb does have value and you do not give up something of significant value until the consequences of another action exceeds that value. And that consequence does not occur until the first regular season game.

----------

And a side note to those hatin' on McNabb. McNabb has done nothing but be a gentleman about this whole process. Shanahan and the Skins, if anyone, deserve some of the hate around here for how this situation was handled.

One thing to be unhappy with McNabb's play (which frankly was not all that bad considering what little he had to work with) and wanting him gone; but another to write some of the venom that has been written about him on this message board.

People on this board are hilarious. All this venom for McNabb "Goodbye and good riddance.", "i'd pay to have him gone too...",...."Maybe we can all donate to get rid of him! ".

Just another in a long line of terrible decision making by this organization, and any frustration and/or hate should be directed at the leadership. We have the colossal debacle of Haynesworthless but this almost ranks as high IMO. Skins will be lucky to get anything for McNabb at this point,...I hope they do but it's unlikely. If I were McNabb I'd want out too.

Yup. McNabb didn't really do anything wrong here. The fact that he wasn't a good fit is 100% Shanahan and the front office's fault.

He holds no cards right now...we don't have to pay him his bonus till the season starts. Teams will want to trade for him early so they can get him involved with the playbook. We're not going to release him outright when we can get something in exchange, as little as it may be.

I don't have a problem with McNabb, other than we should never have traded a pick for him in the first place, but that's not his fault.

However, if we cut him, that would be dumb. After the draft people will want him AND be willing to compensate, even if only a little, and ANY pick is better than NO pick.

I say hang onto him until we see what happens in the draft, then someone will actually NEED a QB.

I like McNabb. He didn't play well here, so what? He certainly isn't the first FA to suck here.

That said, we should not just "let him go". Forget that! We traded for him so someone else should trade to get him. It won't be much, but he can't be free.

Sums my thoughts up exactly. Picks are a scarcer resource than $ for us.

EDIT: And Bruce got a great contract signed when it was done last season. We can keep #5 until his value is very much down to any team wanting to pick him up for free (pick wise) then dump him before we have to pay him. Brilliant if you ask me from a Redskin franchise stand point. That contract is designed to give us all the leverage, the most important change IMO to the FO. Bruce is gonna be around for a while IMO, regardless of how Shanny goes.

Any chance he can give us another player also or a draft pick?

He knows the team will want something for him so it's quite easy for him to say "I'll pay you back just let me go." Because now it looks bad on the team if they say no. But the team gave up 2 draft picks for him and one of them is in this yrs draft of which the team is trying to recoup a replacement draft pick for. I don't care if it's a 7th round draft pick we need to get something back in return for him. Same with AH.

I don't have any use for McNabb, but it's not fair to characterize my feelings as "hatred.."

I didn't want him to begin with, thought he would fail, and said so at the time.

When it became obvious he was failing, deserved to be benched and the acquisition was a mistake, I wasn't supposed to say so. Why? Because he's "classy," or something.

Sorry, I don't buy it. For starters, he doesn't "exude class" to me. He exudes passive aggressive ****iness.

And after we benched him I got sick and tired of all the mediots lecturing that he "deserved better" because he's "classy."

So being "classy" means you're never allowed to be benched? Just keep sending him out there to miss open targets and throw awful picks?

And when he makes the bone-headed play of the year -- jogging out of bounds instead of sliding when we are trying to kill the clock -- don't you DARE call him dumb. Because then you're hinting something racial on us, and there's no place for that.

I'm sick of it. I really don't have anything against him as a human being, but I didn't want that Eagle, knew he would fail here, and will be happy to see him leave.

To paraphrase (and clean up) Alec Baldwin's rant to the sales team in Glengarry Glen Ross:

"Nice guy? I don't give a crap. Good father? Screw you, go home and play with your kids! This is business here, and you better produce -- if not, it's hit the bricks pal, because you are out!"

Archived