Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you switch to another religion for whatever reason?

88Comrade2000

For those you who are affiliated with a religion; could you see yourself switching religions for one reason another?

Probably a couple of common reasons:

1. You are marrying someone and you decide to switch to your spouses religion.

2. You genuinely have in your heart, come into your new religion.

I've said I'm not that religious and I've probably done plenty of things that would get me killed in plenty of Muslim countries. Still, I just can't see myself switching faiths.

I could see myself possibly switching to a different Christian faith, but no, I don't believe I could ever abandon my belief in Jesus as Lord. (Not to push that on anyone, I'm just saying that's what works for me.)

I did marry out of my faith (I'm Lutheran, my ex is Catholic.) I learned all that I could about her church, went to RCIA classes (which are for adults considering becoming Catholic) and I simply couldn't accept some of what I was told there. After much heartache and praying, I decided I couldn't do it. (Here again, not bashing Catholics in the slightest, just wasn't for me.)

I think as healthy people of faith, we ask questions, grow, and change over time. I think we all have some deeply-held beliefs that we won't let go of. But I think it's perfectly natural to seek different ways to express your faith as you go through life. I'm having that mental wrestling match with myself right now. And it's difficult, because my faith is so incredibly important to me. But when I'm where I'm supposed to be, I think it'll be one of those "shoulda had a V8" head-slap kind of moments.

this is a far better topic. actually something posters can discuss. bravo, sir.

no, i would not switch my 'religion'. if i theoretically would, what value is it anyhow?

i've wondered this same thing myself. i dont get it. one minute, you believe one thing and the next you dont? (as in the case of marriage) ....right. spare me.

btw, i should add, i dont believe what i do cuz i was raised a particular way, or because i 'want' to. i will be dragged kicking and screaming into heaven, the most reluctant believer ever. more so than cs lewis.

so, no, probably not going to switch at this point.

I understand why people might change their religion when they get married, but at the same time I just don't get it. I don't see how it could be genuine.

Not to speak for anyone else, but in my case, it was a matter of wanting to worship as a family. My ex flat out said she wouldn't go to my church no matter what. (Yeah, I ignored the monstrous red flag.) So I started learning all I could about hers. I found that the creeds (statements of faith) were virtually identical. And if that's true, then why not give it a shot?

Turns out there was some fine print I couldn't cope with, but I can say that I tried.

Now, if I ever decide to get married again, and my bride-to-be says, "Come try out my church. We worship tomatoes." Then yeah, I ain't goin'.

I understand why people might change their religion when they get married, but at the same time I just don't get it. I don't see how it could be genuine.

In Islam, if you marry a non-Muslim, the spouse is supposed to convert.

---------- Post added April-19th-2011 at 11:12 PM ----------

That's a monstrous red flag, y'know.

Yeah, with seeds too.

Looking back, I ignored a ton of warning signs, but I wouldn't be the person I am now without the experiences I've had. So it all worked out in the end.

And for the record, your ass had BETTER be at the DDP. :)

I already created a thread on this subject :pfft:

my answer was I'd 'convert', meaning, for the shaadi/nikkah, I'd be whatever you wanted me to be, but I'm not leaving Jesus :pfft:

In Islam, if you marry a non-Muslim, the spouse is supposed to convert..

I think the Catholics had that rule,or ya had to agree to raise the children as such....don't know for sure

I'd be leery of converting to a religion that some of it's adherents endorse killing those that leave it.:silly:

I would love to hear the fine print you couldn't cope with. :ols:

Here's one. "Anyone who is not baptized goes to hell."

Well, you know me. I asked, "OK, so my mom works in labor and delivery at the hospital. If there's a still born that's not baptized, that baby goes to hell?"

Yeah. That got ugly.

I also believe that any person who considers him or herself a Christian should be allowed to take communion. And that's what my church does. It says right in the bulletin that if you're a Christian of any faith, you're welcome at the "table." We're all children of God, right? And Jesus said, "Let the children come unto me." Seems pretty cut and dried. I'm not about to let any other man tell me that Jesus was wrong. :ols:

Yet, while attending those classes, I was required to go to mass. And I was required to sit (or kneel) in place like the redheaded step child when everyone else went forward. It was a pretty heart-breaking feeling to be sitting there, singled out, identified as a non-Catholic, in a place where people think there way is the only way.

There were a few others, but I'll stop here, so as not to make this seem like I'm busting on other faiths. Again, not intended to be an insult to Catholics or anyone else, just wasn't right for me.

---------- Post added April-19th-2011 at 11:27 PM ----------

I think the Catholics had that rule,or ya had to agree to raise the children as such....don't know for sure

As of 1999 they did. I assume it's still the same.

Well, you know me. I asked, "OK, so my mom works in labor and delivery at the hospital. If there's a still born that's not baptized, that baby goes to hell?"

Well that isn't limited to the Catholic faith. It's pretty much a common belief.

But the confession deal I agree with.

You can't take communion as an outsider, but you can molest the alter boys and get away with it.

if i theoretically would, what value is it anyhow?

This.

Religion is supposed to be of the heart, not the intellect.

If you would even consider the possibility that you would "switch" religions, then you never were true to that religion in that first place.

That's not to say changing religions doesn't happen, because it does. It just shouldn't be something you should ponder all the while you're claiming to be faithful to one religion.

There's only one religion I'd refuse to convert to (not listing what that religion is for obvious reasons). Anything else I'm more than open to. That being said, my problem with choosing a religion is that I doubt me choosing one would happen organically. More than likely, I'd just choose it because one of its defining concepts would overcome a doubt about something that I hoped were true (e.g., reincarnation).

This thread is like asking a husband, "Do you love your wife with all your heart, and all of your being ?"

Husband, "Yes, I love her with every cell of my body, every fiber of my being, with all of my heart, soul, mind, and body from head to toe."

"Would you consider her leaving her at this point for another woman ?"

"I definitely would."

"Would you consider her leaving her at this point for another woman ?"

Her leaving her for another woman? First of all, he should've been taking care of her in the first place, so her didn't have to take care of her. Her leaving her for another her probably can't be helped though if that's her thing for her.

I'd be leery of converting to a religion that some of it's adherents endorse killing those that leave it.:silly:

My fiance is not Catholic, and it is at the priests discretion if he will marry a non-Catholic if his church.

You are supposed to agree to raise the child as a Catholic.

As for the issue at hand, it is one I think about a lot, just wondering if I could ever switch. I have been raised a Catholic my whole life, but I think I would be open to going to a new church and learning about their respective beliefs.

Archived