Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you switch to another religion for whatever reason?

88Comrade2000

Been there, done that...twice. Christian-->Muslim-->Agnostic. I don't have the t-shirt though. In fact, I doubt they even make one for that. :)

Who knows, there might even be a third change in store for me down the road. I'm a big believer in going wherever facts/rationality/common sense take me.

I'd believe a religion if its god spelled out its name in the stars or something of the like.

---------- Post added April-19th-2011 at 11:52 PM ----------

I'm a big believer in going wherever facts/rationality/common sense take me.

Then you may be stuck on agnosticism :)

With the "proof" I've been given so far... Nah I'm going to stay atheist.... But I suppose if God specifically comes down and talks to me (doesn't even have to be lottery numbers), I would believe...

I just don't think that most people's "God" is any different from Zeus and they sure as hell can't convince me that they're right and the Greeks are wrong...

He wouldn't change his political affiliation if Jesus told him to. ;)

Actually, I did....remember I used to be a Conservative...ever wonder why I changed? ;)

Oh that's right, my change happened prior to my joining here, it was in 2004 that things changed for me, ya'll didn't get to see the shift. Friends of mine in seminary did though. At first they thought I was playing devil's advocate.

...it was in 2004 that things changed for me, ya'll didn't get to see the shift. Friends of mine in seminary did though. At first they thought I was playing devil's advocate.

Actually they were pretty close to right since "libruhls" are the Debbil. Din't cha know? ;)

Actually they were pretty close to right since "libruhls" are the Debbil. Din't cha know? ;)

:ols: No doubt, and some of them well, they didn't like me very much afterward. I had people I once called friends verbally attack me and berate me because I no longer espoused Right leaning politics. Needless to say, their fruit bore itself out clearly, much to my disappointment. The interesting thing is that it was all about a couple of questions that transformed my thinking, questions that I had never really been forced to answer; 1) what does it look like if we truly love our enemy, and 2) what does it really mean to love our neighbor as ourselves? I had been allowed to continue with the same ideology, that I had prior to my conversion, all the way through my undergraduate work and never did anyone seriously challenge me on it. And no, I don't think that Jesus would be a Democrat...or a Republican, I think he's an other...a King to be precise. As such I can affirm certain positions on espoused by the Left, and some on the Right. Although, to be honest I find myself disliking the Right more lately due to what really seems to me to be a nurtured irrational fear from the leadership on the Right which bears itself out in hostility and anger rather than civil disagreements. Which is why many times it seems that I'm defending the Left, but in reality I'm just challenging the attacks from the Right...nuanced for sure, but none-the-less true. And yes, I know the Left has their fear mongers too, it just seems that of late they are out numbered and out shouted.

Anyways, the reason this all ties in is because it was precisely my faith that did cause me to change my political perspectives, to "Other", which is why even now I can't join either party in good conscience.

Nope no reason to since I have been around the other versions which led me to say back in the day thank God I was born in a country that the majority embraces Judeo Christian faith.

However I'm starting to think it would be interesting to see California switch to Sharia based religion to see if it could be worse than the religion of Liberalism and PC contaminating that state.

---------- Post added April-20th-2011 at 04:41 AM ----------

I'm a big believer in going wherever facts/rationality/common sense take me.

A lot of people say that but they still embrace the policies of Team Donkey and the RINOs.

I donot see how rational it is for people to treat government as their saviour and it shows a lack of faith as well as a lack of common sense to believe politicians are supposed to help those who do not help themselves at other peoples expense.

Tough question. The answer is yes. If God came down to me and said,

"Burgold! You've been mislead and that religion is false. You will find truth and peace by followng __________________." I would certainly reconsider. What would be tough would be giving up the culture and self-identification. I think that is a part of me that I would and possibly could never give up.

I do think my understanding of spirituality is a bit of a mutt. I like to incorporate beautiful thoughts from a number of spiritualities whether they be Taoism, Bhuddism, Christendom, or Islam. I think that the "truth" is uncovered differently and being blind to any of it is a failing. There is beauty and God in everyone even aetheists.

I used to be a Conservative.

So you used to be right. :)

I also had made a few mistakes in my life because I used to be a liberal and like the other lemmings would blindly support Team Donkey err the Democrats.

---------- Post added April-20th-2011 at 06:44 AM ----------

Leave it to NavyDave to step in and make this thread political.

I made it political?

Yea, you just continue to ignore the posts prior to mine.

I also had made a few mistakes in my life because I used to be a liberal and like the other lemmings would blindly support Team Donkey err the Democrats.

Then you didn't learn your lesson. Blindly following any party or ideology is dangerous... be they liberals, conservatives, fascists, or pastafarians.

No Dave, I was wrong, dead wrong...I had no love for my neighbor, I was all too fast to support the nation's call to war, I was all to quick to turn a deaf ear to the poor, I was wrong Dave. Oh and you say that the Left looks to the nation as it's savior, I've heard that before and it is nonsense and VERY insulting. Christians on the Left call for social programs not in some form of misplaced idolatry, but in order to craft a government that reflects their love for the poor. I could quite easily say that the Christians on the Right look to the government as their savior too, in the military and security measures instead of looking to God alone for their protection. But obviously you'd reject that too, personally I'd say that those who depend upon the war making of a government look for salvation by government more than those who look for the government to provide health care.

However I'm starting to think it would be interesting to see California switch to Sharia based religion to see if it could be worse than the religion of Liberalism and PC contaminating that state.

Finally he admits it.

Come on, we all know you're a closet Salafist.

;)

Well that isn't limited to the Catholic faith. It's pretty much a common belief.

But the confession deal I agree with.

You can't take communion as an outsider, but you can molest the alter boys and get away with it.

Say what now? I'm a little confused to the first sentence, what are you referring to that is a common belief?

:ols:

And the Lord sayeth unto him. "Asbury, my son. Thou must watcheth FOX News."

AWESOME, lol, this was hilarious

Say what now? I'm a little confused to the first sentence, what are you referring to that is a common belief?

It's a common belief within Catholocism, in the same way that a suicide goes to hell is a common belief, topics upon which the Bible is silent, and upon which many Protestants call upon grace to cover.

AWESOME, lol, this was hilarious

;)

For those you who are affiliated with a religion; could you see yourself switching religions for one reason another?

Probably a couple of common reasons:

1. You are marrying someone and you decide to switch to your spouses religion.

2. You genuinely have in your heart, come into your new religion.

I've said I'm not that religious and I've probably done plenty of things that would get me killed in plenty of Muslim countries. Still, I just can't see myself switching faiths.

Couldn't you have just included this in your other stupid religion thread? IT warranted waste of more bandwidth?

It's a common belief within Catholocism, in the same way that a suicide goes to hell is a common belief, topics upon which the Bible is silent, and upon which many Protestants call upon grace to cover.

;)

Gotcha, I thought he was saying it was common in Christianity, and the only denomination I know of that believes you HAVE to be baptized is the Church of Christ

That last part had me rolling, lol

---------- Post added April-20th-2011 at 08:58 AM ----------

Couldn't you have just included this in your other stupid religion thread? IT warranted waste of more bandwidth?

so 2 different religious questions have to be in the same thread to appease 1, gotcha.

and something tells me you don't know how bandwidth is wasted....just a hunch

What's the point? Christianity, Islam, Judaism all worship the same God it's just the details and methods of worship that vary. Now if I was to go Buddhist or Shinto then that'd be something completely different.

Who you worship is largely a function of where and who you were born to. Seems cosmically unfair that I be denied Salvation had I been born in India.

Who you worship is largely a function of where and who you were born to. Seems cosmically unfair that I be denied Salvation had I been born in India.

Now you're asking the question that recently got Rob Bell into trouble, as many in the Christian faith allow room in their faith for God to "redeem" those who have never heard the Gospel. Second, this is the whole reason for Christian missions, and why missionaries are in every country around the world.

Now you're asking the question that recently got Rob Bell into trouble, as many in the Christian faith allow room in their faith for God to "redeem" those who have never heard the Gospel. Second, this is the whole reason for Christian missions, and why missionaries are in every country around the world.

It seems cosmically unfair that God, with his infinite wisdom, compassion and love for all his children, can forgive every sin no matter how terrible (or nearly every sin, depending on your denomination) EXCEPT for the sin of being a dumb, limited, **** for brains human who tried to live a good life but didn't know which religion was the right one.

Archived