Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OK Policy Blog: The Language Police: Bills would enact new restrictions on speech

Larry

Link.

Summary: Oklahoma voters recently passed a ballot measure declaring English the state's official language. Now it seems that the legislature is passing legislation, supposedly to implement this mandate, which will make it illegal for any government employee to communicate in any language other than English, unless a federal law requires him to do so.

The article goes so far as to claim that the law would make teaching high school French illegal.

For purposes of this section, “preserve and enhance the role of English as the official language” means an affirmative obligation of strict compliance with the letter and spirit of the Oklahoma Official English Implementation Act including, but not limited to, promoting the use of English by all persons in Oklahoma and avoiding the use of languages other than English for official actions. This obligation shall be presumed to be superseded if use of a language other than English is specifically required by federal or state law or is permitted by the Oklahoma Constitution, but only to the extent necessary for an individual circumstance, and not as a general policy.
Consider just one real world example of the effect of HB 2083 and SB 905 on public officials. Oklahoma administers a fund under the Crime Victims Compensation Program that collects fees from offenders to reimburse victims of violent crimes. The fund, among other things, covers the cost of medical care and a forensic evidence exam for victims of rape and sexual assault. What would be the official policy of Crime Victims Compensation regarding rape victims who are not proficient in English? There is no specific requirement in state law (Crime Victims’ Compensation Act of 1981) or in federal law that those administering the program use a language other than English. Under the new English-only Act, program staff might reasonably conclude that they are forbidden from communicating in a language that the victim could understand.

Now, part of me wants to observe that apparently Oklahoma is jealous that Arizona is getting more press for being off-the-scale right-wing loonies.

But I also have to observe that this article has a "feel", to me, similar to other articles I've seen where people are trying real hard to claim that a law says something that it really doesn't.

I wouldn't be offended at all if one of the Tailgate posters who actually have some credibility on subjects like this were to say that the article is, shall we say, "over-inflated".

Larry:

I read the House's bill and it is largely filled with broad policy statements. The bill generally requires state officials to "promote the use of the English language." However, that obligation is "superseded if use of a language other than English is specifically required by federal or state law or is permitted by the Oklahoma Constitution." That's an exception that swallows the rule.

In order words, just like laws prohibiting sharia law, this law is one that won't have significant ramifications for Oklahomans. It's pretty clear it's intended to drum up political support. Thankfully, we don't have more pressing issues to address ... seeing as how the economy is great, our environment is pristine, and no one commits crimes anymore.

Larry:

I read the House's bill and it is largely filled with broad policy statements. The bill generally requires state officials to "promote the use of the English language." However, that obligation is "superseded if use of a language other than English ... is permitted by the Oklahoma Constitution." That's an exception that swallows the rule.

Actually, I suspect that that's there to allow compliance with Oklahoma's Constitution, which, I think, mandates that certain documents (including the Constitution itself) be printed in English, and the languages of the five "civilized" tribes that made up the original population of Oklahoma.

In short, I think that's an exception for Indian languages, not them Mexicans.

Publishing forms in one language saves money. Speaking one language promotes more of a melting pot.

Having all of these differences that we have to tread so lightly around, we haven't created a melting pot. We've created what would be called a "suspension" in chemistry. What we need isn't a suspension, it's a solution.

(Yes. I just made that up, all by myself.) :)

Publishing forms in one language saves money. Speaking one language promotes more of a melting pot.

But the law doesn't say "Oklahoma shall not be required to print forms in multiple languages". It says (or, the article claims it says) "all government employees are forbidden from ever using any other language, even when it's to the government's advantage to do so."

I'll freely admit. It ticks me off when I phone some business or government agency, and I have to listen to "For Spanish, press 8", before I can get to the nect boring thing on the menu.

But is the correct response to, say, make it illegal for the police to take a statement from a witness, in a language which the witness is proficient in?

But the law doesn't say "Oklahoma shall not be required to print forms in multiple languages". It says (or, the article claims it says) "all government employees are forbidden from ever using any other language, even when it's to the government's advantage to do so."

Well "using" a language, IMO, would include writing. But I should have clarified. I wasn't speaking in support of this particular bill per se, just a general thought on the rationale between efforts like this.

I'll freely admit. It ticks me off when I phone some business or government agency, and I have to listen to "For Spanish, press 8", before I can get to the nect boring thing on the menu.

But is the correct response to, say, make it illegal for the police to take a statement from a witness, in a language which the witness is proficient in?

Of course not. That's utterly ridiculous.

I do think there should be a concerted effort to have absolutely everyone living within our borders to become proficient in English. If you want to continue to use your native language as well, God bless you. Celebration of diversity is one of those things that makes us truly great. But I am of the opinion that government business should be conducted in English. Though certainly not pushed to the extreme that a witness to, or victim of, a crime can't have it prosecuted because of a language barrier.

From the same state that thinks Sharia's a problem. Florida, when you leave, please take TX and OK with you.

In fairness, a lot of states have passed legislation adopting English as the official state language. Some legislation goes further than other legislation in "promoting English" (I don't know where the OK legislation falls in that spectrum), but I haven't heard too many horror stories about people being denied basic services because they can't speak English fluently.

I think it's funny that we Americans are so set on ONE language, if you travel to different countries most times they even print their street signs in multiple languages most times in English because apparently Americans can't learn foreign languages.

I am so sick and tired of the politics in this country being dominated by the loonies on each side.

I think it's funny that we Americans are so set on ONE language, if you travel to different countries most times they even print their street signs in multiple languages most times in English because apparently Americans can't learn foreign languages.

I am so sick and tired of the politics in this country being dominated by the loonies on each side.

Seriously. Even in an oppressive authoritarian country like China, they recognize that people in different areas speak different languages, and the government accommodates them. Major cities have signs in both English and Chinese. Government business is conducted in both Mandarin and the local dialect. If you are in Hong Kong, state-owned TV stations will broadcast in Mandarin, Cantonese, and English.

Government exists for the people, and government should operate in the languages that its people speak. In areas of the country where there are significant Spanish-speaking populations, it makes a lot of sense to provide services in two languages.

This hatred of "multiculturalism" seems like the latest evolution of racism to me . Racist: we only want x people in our neighborhood! Anti-Multicultural: we only want people that act exactly like us in our neighborhood! It's like a racists plan B. If we can't keep them out because of their color, we'll force them to act as much like we want as possible! We already see it with the hatred directed at a certain religion. Now language. Couple these clown with liberals anti-smoking campaign and obesity fight... and soon we'll wake up to a state email telling us what behavior will be considered acceptable that day.

This hatred of "multiculturalism" seems like the latest evolution of racism to me . Racist: we only want x people in our neighborhood! Anti-Multicultural: we only want people that act exactly like us in our neighborhood! It's like a racists plan B. If we can't keep them out because of their color, we'll force them to act as much like we want as possible! We already see it with the hatred directed at a certain religion. Now language. Couple these clown with liberals anti-smoking campaign and obesity fight... and soon we'll wake up to a state email telling us what behavior will be considered acceptable that day.

I agree.

Archived