Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kotaku: New Nintendo Console Debuting At E3 This June, Launching In 2012, More Powerful Than Xbox 360 and PS3

heyholetsgogrant

New Nintendo Console Debuting At E3 This June, Launching In 2012, More Powerful Than Xbox 360 and PS3

StephenTotilo — Nintendo's next console will debut at E3 in June, moving the maker of Mario and Zelda into the HD era. The news, first reported by Game Informer today, confirms rumors that have been swirling for months in the wake of slowing game releases from Nintendo.

Furthermore, we've heard that the machine will be more powerful than current-gen systems, meaning Nintendo, currently backing a Wii that is weaker in horsepower than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, will be showing a new console that is more powerful than those current competitors.

Author: StephenTotilo

Source: Kotaku

http://kotaku.com/#!5792165/new-nintendo-console-debuting-at-e3-launching-in-2012-more-powerful-than-xbox-360-and-ps3

Welcome to the next gen console race Nintendo....

we've heard that the machine will be more powerful than current-gen systems, meaning Nintendo, currently backing a Wii that is weaker in horsepower than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, will be showing a new console that is more powerful than those current competitors.

I hate it when a sentence goes around in circles, and you just end up back where you started, it's like it started and ended at the same point.

IMO, this is gonna incorporate an evolution in motion control as well as everything the 360/Kinect tried to do and the PS3/Move tried to do and do it better. Of course the Xbox 720 and the PS4 will be more powerful than what Nintendo is doing, but Nintendo will probably still win the console war like it did with the Wii.

IMO, this is gonna incorporate an evolution in motion control as well as everything the 360/Kinect tried to do and the PS3/Move tried to do and do it better. Of course the Xbox 720 and the PS4 will be more powerful than what Nintendo is doing, but Nintendo will probably still win the console war like it did with the Wii.

I don't get the reasoning behind Kinect and Move at all. Are they actually making a profit off those things? If you want to release something with major functionality, I think you should make it part of the base console.

imagine zelda in 1080p! that would be so awesome.

When I think of Nintendo and graphics, all that really comes to mind is Mario and Zelda. It's a little lame with the Wii, because people expect those games to have the best graphics. I don't know how far off the next gen Zelda would be though, considering the next Wii Zelda is supposed to come out this year right?

:) Yesssss. Nintendo has been hitting homeruns latley with the wii, then the ds this should be intresting

im not flaming nintendo, but how have they been hitting homeruns? they have a bunch of games like wii sports that are good for when you have a bunch of people around, but what else? they just rehash mario/zelda and similar themes. the last thing good about nintendo was n64, they had some good games then.

im not flaming nintendo, but how have they been hitting homeruns? they have a bunch of games like wii sports that are good for when you have a bunch of people around, but what else? they just rehash mario/zelda and similar themes. the last thing good about nintendo was n64, they had some good games then.

Because they make great games. Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Kirby's Epic Yarn all released in the last year, and all receiving at least a 9 on ign (and ign is notorious for hating on the Wii).

But no, you're right, they should instead just come out with first and third person shooters like everyone else.

Because they make great games. Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Kirby's Epic Yarn all released in the last year, and all receiving at least a 9 on ign (and ign is notorious for hating on the Wii).

But no, you're right, they should instead just come out with first and third person shooters like everyone else.

yeah, ive never been a fan of any of those games and thats why i havent been a fan of nintendo. it makes me feel like nintendo is good for the very young and older people. i just dont understand why they dont have the shooters, that might make me actually consider getting one.

yeah, ive never been a fan of any of those games and thats why i havent been a fan of nintendo. it makes me feel like nintendo is good for the very young and older people. i just dont understand why they dont have the shooters, that might make me actually consider getting one.

There are a few shooters, just not as many as the other consoles. Nintendo and Retro Studios made the Metroid Prime series, which are unconventional, but really good action/adventure/shooters. Then there's The Conduit by High Voltage (admittedly not as good as it could have been, but some really intriguing uses of motion controls for some of those guns) and Goldeneye was a solid entry. No, they don't have a Halo killer, but they do have some good games. I think Conduit 2 is going to be a big improvement now that High Voltage has more experience as a developer and has a chance to learn from their previous mistakes and successes. And if their other shooter, The Grinder, ever comes out, that game is gonna kick ass (think Left4Dead with Vampires, Werewolves, and other mythical beasts.)

Zelda in 480p is awesome enough as is.

Zelda in 480i = best game of all-time.

---------- Post added April-14th-2011 at 08:03 PM ----------

How many FPS's can you play before you realize, OMG, it's almost the exact same game with different animations. The biggest selling games on the XBOX 360 are rehashes. I mean really, does more effort go into the next Mario or next Call of Duty? I can answer that without thinking twice.

And I have both systems.

Zelda in 480i = best game of all-time.

What about in 3d? :D

How many FPS's can you play before you realize, OMG, it's almost the exact same game with different animations. The biggest selling games on the XBOX 360 are rehashes. I mean really, does more effort go into the next Mario or next Call of Duty? I can answer that without thinking twice.

And I have both systems.

The irony is not lost on me complaining about Nintendo, of all companies, just rehashing stuff, when he just wants shooters.

I have to ask, not being really a video game coniseour since I was about 13-- how much more detailed can the graphics in these games get? Why do the controllers now have so many damn buttons? wasn't super nintendo, with the additional x, y, r, and l buttons enough? Why make things so damn complicated? This is why nintendo, sega, x-box, etc. have lost so many average game players.

BTW- I got that game super smash brothers for the wii (wii was an unexpected gift, I bought SSB), and I couldn't figure out what the big deal was. that game was supposed to be awesome, but it ended up being just a bunch of damn nintendo characters jumping around like flamers.

I have to ask, not being really a video game coniseour since I was about 13-- how much more detailed can the graphics in these games get?

Try photo realistic at some point in the next fifteen years.

A game of Madden will look exactly like a real game of NFL football eventually.

Can't wait for that day.

So Nintendo will finally catch up with the Microsoft and Sony systems that have been on the market for 6-7 years? Well here's a pat on the back for them, then.

And then 2-3 years from now when the XBOX 720 or whatever and the PS4 come out, Nintendo will once again be left in the dust.

Although you have to wonder: How much better can graphics really get? The human eyes can only process so much. Eventually, its gonna come down to atmosphere, animations, and gameplay. Because graphics will be maxed out.

Man the Wii is sick, I don't care what nobody says. That New Super Mario Bros. Wii is like one of the best games of all-time. It is going to be nice to see what the Kotaku can do. If it is half as good as its name, then this system will be sick as well.........

---------- Post added April-14th-2011 at 08:32 PM ----------

I don't think Nintendo was really trying to compete with Microsoft and Sony with the Wii. I think the Wii did what they wanted to do. I don't know what we are going to see with the Kotaku, but I can at least say that Nintendo might be throwing their hat back in the ring.

Man the Wii is sick, I don't care what nobody says. That New Super Mario Bros. Wii is like one of the best games of all-time. It is going to be nice to see what the Kotaku can do. If it is half as good as its name, then this system will be sick as well.........

As great as NSMBW was, I thought Donkey Kong Country Returns was even better.

Nintendo was smart with the Wii.

They made a profit off of every console. That's something Sony and Microsoft didn't manage until recently.

Now they have stacks of cash that I guarantee went into the development of this next console. Now they can afford to sell them at a loss for awhile and not worry about their bottom line.

Archived