Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kotaku: New Nintendo Console Debuting At E3 This June, Launching In 2012, More Powerful Than Xbox 360 and PS3

heyholetsgogrant

Damn I just got a WII for christmas to go along with my PS3 and now a new system. Freakin technology lol

At least it's not like the smartphone world where there's a new "must have" phone every other month, leaving you to stew and curse your two year contract.

Im an old school gamer (been playing since NES) so I love the Wii, cause they have all the classic series, in updated games. The funny thing about the Wii though, is that I hate the motion controls, i wish they got rid of that gimmicky crap. Try playing a FPS on the Wii and it is complete garbage, no accuracy at all.

Im an old school gamer (been playing since NES) so I love the Wii, cause they have all the classic series, in updated games. The funny thing about the Wii though, is that I hate the motion controls, i wish they got rid of that gimmicky crap. Try playing a FPS on the Wii and it is complete garbage, no accuracy at all.

I don't know what you're talking about. IR controls for shooters are great.

Just read a nifty little tidbit claiming the next Nintendo console will have controllers with built-in HD displays (I doubt HD, but maybe nice resolution for the size). Curious about the possibility of that rumor. Knowing Nintendo, if they do add screens onto their controllers, they'd be touch-screens for more functionality.

Brings me back to my Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory days using the GBA to monitor my sticky-cams.

Just read a nifty little tidbit claiming the next Nintendo console will have controllers with built-in HD displays (I doubt HD, but maybe nice resolution for the size). Curious about the possibility of that rumor. Knowing Nintendo, if they do add screens onto their controllers, they'd be touch-screens for more functionality.

Brings me back to my Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory days using the GBA to monitor my sticky-cams.

Going to be interesting to see how they do this without making the controllers excessively bulky.

154.jpg

And when I'm playing a game on the TV, rarely am I looking down at the controller. It's hard to vizualize why I would need to.

I don't get the reasoning behind Kinect and Move at all. Are they actually making a profit off those things? If you want to release something with major functionality, I think you should make it part of the base console.

When I think of Nintendo and graphics, all that really comes to mind is Mario and Zelda. It's a little lame with the Wii, because people expect those games to have the best graphics. I don't know how far off the next gen Zelda would be though, considering the next Wii Zelda is supposed to come out this year right?

1st question, I would think that MS is making money off the Kinect. It is never in stock at local stores. PS Move? No idea. Even though it may be 1:1 movement ratio, it looks like a rip off of the Wii and the Wii is cheaper with it built in.

They have moved production of games from console to console before. 2 examples I can remember are Zelda game that was started on the N64 and mved to the Gamecube, and Eternal Darkness started as a PS1 game, then N64 then was released on the Gamecube. Eternal Darkness was an amazing game.

---------- Post added April-15th-2011 at 10:27 AM ----------

Did the Wii really win the console wars?

So overrated imo. You got like 5 good games and all 3rd party titles blow.

I take console wars to mean total sales. Yes, they won that handily despite a low powered system.

---------- Post added April-15th-2011 at 10:28 AM ----------

If it was a full touch screen with a real joystick that would be cool.

I have to ask, not being really a video game coniseour since I was about 13-- how much more detailed can the graphics in these games get? Why do the controllers now have so many damn buttons? wasn't super nintendo, with the additional x, y, r, and l buttons enough? Why make things so damn complicated? This is why nintendo, sega, x-box, etc. have lost so many average game players.

BTW- I got that game super smash brothers for the wii (wii was an unexpected gift, I bought SSB), and I couldn't figure out what the big deal was. that game was supposed to be awesome, but it ended up being just a bunch of damn nintendo characters jumping around like flamers.

Have u ever you ever seen crysis graphics on PC? The difference is day and night.....

They have moved production of games from console to console before. 2 examples I can remember are Zelda game that was started on the N64 and mved to the Gamecube, and Eternal Darkness started as a PS1 game, then N64 then was released on the Gamecube. Eternal Darkness was an amazing game.

There was supposed to be a third N64 Zelda game? huh. I would've used Twilight Princess as an example of a game moved to a different system (although I guess they made it for both).

Also I didn't realize Eternal Darkness was supposed to be PS1 originally, because I know Nintendo published the title. Guess that was really early in development. And yes, it was quite some game. Great story and such an interesting concept to actually attack the mind of the player and break the 4th wall.

As for the touch-screen controller, I have two ideas as to how it might go down.

1) the screen is mounted above the main portion of the controller. Doesn't extend it to make it any bulkier in the hands but makes it a taller controller.

2) 3DS connectivity. Have some games use the 3DS as a controller. Wouldn't be the first time Nintendo's done that. GBA connectivity in the past has been used in similar fashions and has had some interesting results.

uses of a personal screen:

• In The Legend of Zelda: 4-Swords Adventure, there was a main screen for everyone, but when you went into a cave or something, you'd be moved to your own personal screen so the 4 of you can wander off into different places.
  • Each Splinter Cell game used the GBA a bit differently. I guess the support progressed as the series moved on. From controller turrets remotely and detonating remote bombs in the first, to being used to keep an eye on your sticky-camera for surveillence, Ubisoft put the screen to good use.
  • There was a game called Pac-Man Vs.. 3 guys controlled ghosts with regular controllers, and they use the TV as their screen. Their view was a limited 3d view of the playing field. The person controlling Pac Man used the GBA controller and the GBA could see the entire playing field top-down (basically, like any other pac-man game). No "ghosting" going on there :)
  • How about a Madden game where you select your play on your own personal screen so the opponent doesn't see your playbook and what plays you're looking at?
  • Use it in a Zelda game as a quick way to swap out active items.

Personally, I love the idea of having an extra, personal screen. Doesn't have to be used, but it can add some pretty awesome features as the GCN-GBA connectivity has shown in the past.

They have moved production of games from console to console before. 2 examples I can remember are Zelda game that was started on theN64 and mved to the Gamecube, and Eternal Darkness started as a PS1 game, then N64 then was released on the Gamecube. Eternal Darkness was an amazing game.

You mean, Twilight Princess, which was delayed to release it on the Wii? N64 had two Zelda games, so I doubt they delayed one for Gamecube. The problem with that is, the next gen console will actually have next gen graphics. Since the Wii is not much more powerful than a Gamecube, it was easy to make the changes necessary to launch Zelda with the console.

I think the Wii RE4 is way better than the Gamecube version just because of the remote. It's 100x easier to control on the Wii, but it also doesn't have the more traditional FPS controls (EDIT: well, now that I think about it I realize it's not an FPS, but a Third Person Shooter. Whatever, it's still damn good on the Wii) .

I think the Wii RE4 is way better than the Gamecube version just because of the remote. It's 100x easier to control on the Wii, but it also doesn't have the more traditional FPS controls (EDIT: well, now that I think about it I realize it's not an FPS, but a Third Person Shooter. Whatever, it's still damn good on the Wii) .

I think Backpack's issue with the wii controls for FPS is that he's barely used a Wii on FPSs. I know when I first bought my Wii off Sticks, he accidentally left Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 in the system. I gave it a try while I had it before returning it, and I was absolutely terrible with it. It takes a bit of time to get used to how the IR pointing works, but once you get a feel for it, its great.

Some of you all need to explain what you're talking about in terms of console wars. If you're talking about super high end graphics, yeah Nintendo may be "left in the dust" or whatever, but...doesn't matter. In terms of sales - which really matters, they come out winners.

I think Backpack's issue with the wii controls for FPS is that he's barely used a Wii on FPSs. I know when I first bought my Wii off Sticks, he accidentally left Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 in the system. I gave it a try while I had it before returning it, and I was absolutely terrible with it. It takes a bit of time to get used to how the IR pointing works, but once you get a feel for it, its great.

To be honest, I think FPSs on the Wii are the closest control-wise to using keyboard/mouse on a PC. Not perfect (because the IR pointer doesn't have the accuracy of a good mouse) but something I adjusted to quickly when playing Metroid Prime.

Some of you all need to explain what you're talking about in terms of console wars. If you're talking about super high end graphics, yeah Nintendo may be "left in the dust" or whatever, but...doesn't matter. In terms of sales - which really matters, they come out winners.

yeah, kudos to them, it may not ever appeal to me, but it sure does to the young, older, and females.

To be honest, I think FPSs on the Wii are the closest control-wise to using keyboard/mouse on a PC. Not perfect (because the IR pointer doesn't have the accuracy of a good mouse) but something I adjusted to quickly when playing Metroid Prime.

PC is the best for FPS, but Wii is better in terms of simplicity and learning curve. I think the Wii controller for FPS appeals to a broader audience.

Now that I think about it, I was terrible with dual-analog sticks when I first tried it. Took me much less time to figure out the IR controls. Plus, I personally enjoy IR controls over M&K because I like that its not so easy to pin-point someone from a mile away. It kinda limits your abilities to a more... human level.

Archived