Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports.com: NFL players using risky loans

Drew_Fl

seriously, how dumb do people get when handed hundreds of thousands/millions of dollars? even the lowest paid practice squad guys make a decent living. i really don't like to judge, but these kinds of things piss me off. i obviously don't know each player's individual situation, but if you're making any type of NFL money, and your well goes dry after only a month drought, you are most likely doing something very wrong.

Players from at least 16 NFL teams have turned to short-term loans with high interest rates as a way to keep cash flowing amid the month-old lockout, ThePostGame.com reported Tuesday.

The NFL Players Association started payments to players from its lockout "war chest" nearly two weeks ago, but according to the report many players are still in need of the risky loans.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-players-use-high-interest-predatory-loans-during-lockout-041211

Yeah it's amazing just how terrible NFL players are at money management.

It is? These guys are 21 or 22 years old when they're drafted, and suddenly have hundred of thousands of dollars, at minimum, if they make a 53-man roster. How is it surprising that a lot of them blow their wad quickly?

the scary thing is if you read the article they say that 10-20% of the lg will end up using them, and many will never be able to pay them back thanks to the interest.

even mark brunell thinks you're making a bad investment.

I don't get it. I thought players didn't get paid during the offseason anyway. So, financially, how could the lockout already be affecting them?

I was wondering the same thing. I don't get it. It has been one month and already there are guys in dire straights?

It is? These guys are 21 or 22 years old when they're drafted, and suddenly have hundred of thousands of dollars, at minimum, if they make a 53-man roster. How is it surprising that a lot of them blow their wad quickly?

I made better decions with my money before I was even a teenager.

This should be surprising, but the bad decisons that NFL players make rarely startle me anymore.

I don't get it. I thought players didn't get paid during the offseason anyway. So, financially, how could the lockout already be affecting them?

A couple of things pop out at me. They have to pay their own health insurance now through Cobra and they have to pay for their own training. They can't use the team facilities and many of them probably use a personal trainer. I am sure there are other things. I am not making excuses for them, just pointing out expenses.

Another part to this is human nature. The more you make, the higher your bills are. How many of us who make much less have got a raise or a bonus and instead of banking it, bought a new car, new computer, got home repairs done, etc. Do you bank your income tax refunds or spend them on something you have been wanting? Again not making excuses, but they really aren't that much different than you or I.

Money shrewdness is a skill that is more developed than simply "just there". Most Americans are inculturated to spend their asses off and this is just a extreme manifestation of that value. Utility matters, the price paid does not. Then the *****es declare bankruptcy or try their hand in welfare from the government money tree, *****ing about how difficult it is to live in a country with better living conditions than 99% of the rest of the world's population is facing. Little do they realize that they dug their own hole.

While I agree that it is pathetic how poorly many of these guys manage their money this actually is good for the fans. If they are in financial trouble the players will bend.

So you are willing to rick another person having money problems just so you can enjoy your entertainment on Sundays....

So you are willing to rick another person having money problems just so you can enjoy your entertainment on Sundays....
Even practice squad players make more than enough money to be able to afford a money manager. A guy who is going broke on a $250,000+ salary is going to be broke no matter what.

I have always been bad with money. When I was 18 and in the Navy, I went hog wild, because if you had a check book and a military ID, you could buy anything. Took my dumb ass almost 10 years to dig out of that. I get it. Having money for the first time in your life and a lot of free time allows you to make tons of bad decisions.

No sympathy for them whatsoever. I survive, and manage to put money away, on a 30k/year wage. If these players, who are making hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars per year, can't put some money away and be smart with it, so that they can sustain themselves, then they deserve to go broke. People like Dez Bryant make me sick, and I will personally laugh at them when they file for bankruptcy 5 years from now, after making several million bucks.

Archived