Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Sam Huff Wants Drew Brees to Shut His Mouth

stwasm

Sam Huff goes on the offensive about Mr. Brees speaking for retired players. Hmmmm.

Just when you think every living human with a connection to pro football has weighed in on the NFL’s labor issues, we finally get to hear from Sam Huff. I know you never would have guessed it, but his approach is part-gruff, part confused, mostly no-nonsense, and 100 percent quotable.

Now, this is a strange story, since the author — from NewJerseyNewsroom.com — was evidently asking Huff this week about comments Brees made in 2009. The Saints quarterback was then defending Gene Upshaw against claims made by ex-players; Brees argued that some of the veterans had made bad business decisions and were unfairly asking the NFLPA to help bail them out.

Anyhow, Huff isn’t into that.

“Drew Brees should keep his mouth shut,” Huff told the Web site. “We (he and his Giants teammates from the 1950s and 1960s) would put a target on his back. I don’t understand all this crap. We formed it (the NFLPA). Kyle Rote (the Giants end), he did it and put it all together.”

Click here to read the rest of the story.

Its a shame that a Bills fan took time out of his day to pick on a HOFer for web hits.

We all know Sam has some issues while at other times he can be on top of his game, especially when reminiscing about his glory years. He's a guy I've been fortunate to be around from time to time & get to know. I just hate seeing him get picked on by those that don't seem to respect him for what he did in the past but would rather laugh at him for not having it all together in the present.

I agree with Sam Huff because Drew Brees is a highly paid player that didn't have to go through what the guys of yesteryear had to. But in some ways he has a point. Some of the retired players did squander their money and were highly paid. Sam Huff wasn't one of those players.So STFU Brees and don't defend anyone but yourself. There is a retired player that is defending retired players.

WTF is the Post deeming this a relevant story when Sam's being asked to respond to comments made by Brees 3 years back? And doubtless not being told so in the process with him thinking Brees is attacking retired players now.

A New Jersey jerk taking advantage of Sam Huff is one thing. Steinberg, and the rag that's becoming more and more anti-Redskins, should have more class than to reprint this. Though it comes as zero surprise they don't.

Hail.

I agree with Sam Huff because Drew Brees is a highly paid player that didn't have to go through what the guys of yesteryear had to. But in some ways he has a point. Some of the retired players did squander their money and were highly paid. Sam Huff wasn't one of those players.So STFU Brees and don't defend anyone but yourself. There is a retired player that is defending retired players.

I agree with you agreeing with Sam, but no, they weren't "high paid" back then. Most guys had to work a job in the offseason to make ends meet. They didn't have pensions, nor did they have a retirement plan in Huff's days. That's why training camp was so long and there were 6 preseason games. Players had to get back into "actual" playing shape.

When Sam hung it up, base salary for a vet player was less than 10K. Yes, a nice sum for a young college graduate as long as it was for a second job but not all that excessive. As late as 1974, players retired as opposed to being traded or risking serious long-term injury because of the need to have a post-football career.

WTF is the Post deeming this a relevant story when Sam's being asked to respond to comments made by Brees 3 years back? And doubtless not being told so in the process with him thinking Brees is attacking retired players now.

A New Jersey jerk taking advantage of Sam Huff is one thing. Steinberg, and the rag that's becoming more and more anti-Redskins, should have more class than to reprint this. Though it comes as zero surprise they don't.

Hail.

I didn't feel like the New Jersey story showed Sam in a bad light. It was the capsule size wrap-up from the Post made Sam look like a cry-baby.

Be sure to read the original.

http://davepear.com/blog/2011/03/evan-weiner-attention-drew-brees/

:helmet:The Rook

Archived