Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PS3 Problems?

Elessar78

Anyone else here have trouble with their PS3 freezing up?

Just started happening to mine and it's relatively new and now it's to the point where it won't read any games.

Anyway, if you did, did you get it repaired? How much did it cost? I think it's the blu ray reader.

GACOLB I think it is the lens. I kept working on it and got an error message that is linked to the lens in one way or another.

I had success when my PS2 started conking out and it was waay out of warranty. I opened that sucker up and it was just choked with dust. I blew it all out with canned air and it worked like new. I'm just wary of popping the PS3 open just yet because it's pretty "invasive surgery".

GACOLB I think it is the lens. I kept working on it and got an error message that is linked to the lens in one way or another.

I had success when my PS2 started conking out and it was waay out of warranty. I opened that sucker up and it was just choked with dust. I blew it all out with canned air and it worked like new. I'm just wary of popping the PS3 open just yet because it's pretty "invasive surgery".

Yup. My PS2 is still chugging along to this day through taking care of lens. And you're right, it's ***** to do. The PS3 looks even more tedious :(

My roommate's having problems with his PS3 as well. It has trouble reading discs when he first turns it on, so he's been taking the disc out and putting it back in. Sometimes it freezes at the very beginning of the studio/publisher screens.

It's weird that I found this thread right after he told me about his issues. Will be there an update out soon to fix this or something? I don't really know how it works.

I don't know if it's a software update issue. I think it's hardware related. The annoying thing is that if you do a search for, say, "PS3 Freezing/stalling" ... there are tons of posts on the Playstation website on the issue, but no recommendations on trouble shooting. Yes, we know there's a problem. Now tell us some fixes.

I'd like to see if this is an issue with a certain batch/generation. Mine is one of the earlier ones. I just got it recently new and in the box but it's the older model.

I have a sinking feeling that GACOLB''s suggestion to use a DVD lens cleaner will fix the problem. BTW, also tried vacuuming it out with a handheld and it didn't help at all, but I understand the logic and it should help. I'm going to try hitting it with canned air later today.

I don't know if it's a software update issue. I think it's hardware related. The annoying thing is that if you do a search for, say, "PS3 Freezing/stalling" ... there are tons of posts on the Playstation website on the issue, but no recommendations on trouble shooting. Yes, we know there's a problem. Now tell us some fixes.

I'd like to see if this is an issue with a certain batch/generation. Mine is one of the earlier ones. I just got it recently new and in the box but it's the older model.

I have a sinking feeling that GACOLB''s suggestion to use a DVD lens cleaner will fix the problem. BTW, also tried vacuuming it out with a handheld and it didn't help at all, but I understand the logic and it should help. I'm going to try hitting it with canned air later today.

If this is the older generation PS3, I (along with thousands of other people) had the same problem. The old PS3 design was very poor, causing the unit to overheat and fry either (or both) diodes and the blue ray drive. It could be either of them and unless you specialize in fixing them, you wont be able to tell which. If it is the diodes, unless you can find the diodes, remove and replace them...your unit is pretty much done. If it is the blu ray lens, you have two options....you can buy a new lens and install it yourself for about $50 or you can buy a new blu ray drive for I think $150. Sony will also exchange your unit for a referb for $150.

I just bought a new playstation because I didn't want to sink any money into a flawed system. I'd recommend you boycott Sony and get an Xbox....I know I will NEVER buy another Sony product ever again....the only reason I bought the new PS3 is because I had so much money sunk into games and Blu ray movies.

bear_jew, (great handle btw)... how'd you replace it? Where'd you get the part and what tools do you need? Also how'd you diagnose that that's what indeed the problem is.

---------- Post added March-28th-2011 at 10:12 AM ----------

I had the same problem. Mine didn't have anything to do with the lens. It was the hard drive. I popped out the hard drive and reseated it and haven't had a problem since.

How'd you figure out it was the hard drive?

Just did some research and all signs pointed to the hard drive. It would start up and then the game would stay at "loading" forever and I'd eventually have to power it off. It was also very slow and sluggish. I followed some instructions I found on youtube and tried some system restore which did not help. SO I just took the HD out and reseated it and it was instantly 10000000 percent better. Might not help your problem, but worth a try. Removing the HD from a PS3 is simple.

Just did some research and all signs pointed to the hard drive. It would start up and then the game would stay at "loading" forever and I'd eventually have to power it off. It was also very slow and sluggish. I followed some instructions I found on youtube and tried some system restore which did not help. SO I just took the HD out and reseated it and it was instantly 10000000 percent better. Might not help your problem, but worth a try. Removing the HD from a PS3 is simple.

See that also describes what happens to mine. I'll be in the middle of a game and graphics and sound will still be going on but the game is stuck between "thoughts". I'll check it out next. I'm troubleshooting right now and as soon as I eliminate the lens as the culprit I'll move onto that.

[/color]

See that also describes what happens to mine. I'll be in the middle of a game and graphics and sound will still be going on but the game is stuck between "thoughts". I'll check it out next. I'm troubleshooting right now and as soon as I eliminate the lens as the culprit I'll move onto that.

Sounds good. It's also pretty easy to buy a 2.5 inch hard drive to replace it, i know a lot of people who have upgraded. Hope it works for ya.

Gator Bait,

Thanks for the insight. Yes, I think I will move onto Xbox. This is pretty unacceptable if that is the case. I think they rushed the first ones to market and let some quality control slip.

I have had my PS3 from the week it came out...it freezes up every once in a while (after 4 years of use), I turn it off, let it sit 5 mins, and turn it back on, no issues. Of course I make sure I take care of mine, by cleaning it at least weekly.

From what I hear, there are more issues with XBox the PS3. Have fun with your ring of death ;)

hard to believe PS3 has been out for four years already...

FYI, Xbox's die as well. I havent heard much bad about the new Xbox's that came out w/ the wireless and the 250 gig HD closed in the unit, but the old white ones were garbage for the most part.

FYI, Xbox's die as well. I havent heard much bad about the new Xbox's that came out w/ the wireless and the 250 gig HD closed in the unit, but the old white ones were garbage for the most part.

Yep. I got an Xbox 360 about a year after they were first released. That one that the red ring of death in a little less than a year. They sent me a new one, since it was under warranty. The replacement flubbed up a few weeks ago (right after I got NBA Jam, dangit). It's well past warranty so there's nothing I can do about it without spending a lot of money. Compare this to my N64, my PS2 or my Sega GameGear, which will probably function for years to come.

... Of course I make sure I take care of mine, by cleaning it at least weekly.

How did you clean your console, I mean a specific kind of cleaning?

I ask you this because the zone where I live is a zone with a lot of wind and dust.

Elessar, please tell us everything you do with your console, for futures references.

I'm still hoping mine is just a dirty lens issue, I think this because it'll play for 20-minutes to an hour. Then it has to load some bit of information then it never comes out of that (which is also why I think it may be the hard drive issue that NoleSkins mentioned).

Yesterday I bought I DVD lens cleaning kit. It's a DVD with little brushes. I know it's not a DVD type device but that's the only thing available near me. It did not work.

There's a Blu Ray specific cleaning kit, I'll try that.

But today, I'm going to blast it out with canned air to see if that helps.

If that doesn't work I will try to hit it with my upright vacuum via attachment. I only used a handheld dust buster before.

Archived