Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

More impressive/better team: 2006 GMU vs. 2011 VCU

Spaceman Spiff

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

You really should stop commenting on basketball topics you have no idea about. What Butler did last year and this year is by far above what Mason did in '06 and what VCU did this year. Butler being the only mid-major team to make back to back Final Fours is completely amazing. Especially since everyone had written Butler off this year since they lost Heyward to the Jazz.

The margin between Mason and VCU may be close, I'm still going with Mason because of the teams they had to go through to get to the Final Four, but to say either Mason or VCU are close to what Butler has done is a disgrace to what they've done and a complete joke.

What

The difference between them is very miniscule so deciding between the 3 is extremely difficult

This is truth

I want to pick VCU just to annoy all the GMU fans on here, but I can't do it. The GMU run was pretty incredible, and I still remember that UCONN game. Someone mentioned GMU winning their first game without Tony Skinn....well, in my opinion he wasn't the most important player on the team, and besides, he was suspended for punching an opponent in the nuts in the middle of a game. In the nuts for God's sake. He probably should have been suspended for the entire tournament :ols:

Now if VCU wins one more game and makes the championship, I think you have to give it to them, especially in light of the extra game they had to play.

Also, quick question. Villanova in 1984 was the lowest seed to win a tournament at #8, when they beat Georgetown, right? Are they also the lowest seed to ever make the championship, win or lose? Because that will be equaled or beaten this year.

Answer is Mason hands down...not even close. As mentioned before, Mason's path was MUCH harder than VCU's path....although I don't want to take anything away from VCU, because their accomplishments have been amazing so far in the tournament and they have a legit shot to win it all.

One aspect that I haven't seen anyone on here mention is that the team that Finally knocked off Mason, Florida, is one of the best teams in college basketball history. If Mason didn't have to play Florida in 2006, I think there is a very good chance the Patriots would have a championship banner hanging from the rafters of the Patriot Center.

up until this point GMU without a doubt. 3 out of the 4 teams we took out were in the final 4 the year before and were stacked with talent. hell, i think that entire UCONN team is playing in the NBA now.

VCU has made the most of their opportunites, but have been fortunate with their draw against two slumping teams in GTown/Purdue as well as a 10 seeded FSU. Kansas is their most impressive win and they beat them on a night where Kansas decided to shoot 9% from 3 point land

as far as the play in game goes, if they didn't have that play in game they wouldn't have been in the tourney. if anything, the playoff game was a nice warm up game to help boost confidence and momentum for VCU and probably beneffited them more than it would have going in cold against Georgetown. Saying that VCU's run is more impressive because they had to beat a crap USC team to get into the field of 64 is crazy.

Most probably don't remember that there was controversey surrounding Mason getting into the tourney in 06 over Hofstra anyways

i still think their were many more deserving teams than VCU to get into the tourney but the committee wanted to surpsise people by picking VCU

---------- Post added March-28th-2011 at 08:52 AM ----------

One aspect that I haven't seen anyone on here mention is that the team that Finally knocked off Mason, Florida, is one of the best teams in college basketball history. If Mason didn't have to play Florida in 2006, I think there is a very good chance the Patriots would have a championship banner hanging from the rafters of the Patriot Center.

Agreed. Its a shame that we had to draw Florida in the final four

---------- Post added March-28th-2011 at 09:14 AM ----------

here are the shooting stats for UConn in the 2006 matchup against GMU:

47% from the field

32% from 3 point land

79% from the line

Here are the stats for Kansas in the VCU matchup from yesterday

35.5% from the field

9.5% from 3 point land

53.6% from the line

I would say it's a tie right now if I'm being objective. Mason had a significantly tougher road but VCU had to play that extra game. Obviously if VCU makes the championship game theirs is more impressive.

As a Mason student/fan, I wasn't sure how I would react to them making the final four because I liked having that distinction all to ourselves in the CAA. I was definitely rooting for them before the sweet 16 but wasn't sure if I would be after that. Then the games started and I couldn't help myself. I have been behind them 100% in each game. I hope they win the title. Forget the fact that I hate their fanbase and they are going to be even more insufferable now. Go Rams, go CAA!

What

The difference between them is very miniscule so deciding between the 3 is extremely difficult

This is truth

Why don't you stick to arguing for Coach Calipari.

Making the national title game as a mid-major and being one bounce away from being national champions trumps making the Final Four, and then to be a 9 seed after losing your best player and then proceeded to beat the 2 best rebounding teams in the nation and then 2 more bigger teams in Wisconsin and Florida while being out-sized and reaching back to back Final Fours is light years ahead of what Mason or VCU did.

Now if Mason had made the Final Four in '07 and if VCU makes the Final Four next year you will be correct that the 2 are very comparable; however, I don't see that being the case and Butler stands alone with no other mid-major team close to them for what they have accomplished these 2 seasons.

---------- Post added March-28th-2011 at 09:56 AM ----------

is Burgess a senior? That guy has been their MVP this tourney. Dude hasn't missed a 3 he has taken and is playing great right now

Burgess is a junior. The seniors on VCU's team are:

Jamie Skeen

Joey Rodriguez

Ed Nixon

Brandon Rozzell

Someone said this on another forum a few days ago, it's very tough to decide.

I was also asked today on Mgoblog which was more impressive, Mason's run, VCU's run, or Butler's run. It's just so tough because what these schools have done is just so incredible, so extraordinary.

It doesn't help that Mason's run is already becoming old news.

I would rank VCU first, then Butler 2nd, then Mason 3rd. VCU won 5 games to reach the Final Four. VCU was widely criticized for entering the field. For them to come in, unwelcomed, and then say "**** off" to everyone on their way to the Fiinal Four is unprecedented. I chose Butler 2nd because of the # of close games they have played, and Mason 3rd.

It's so difficult to rank these 3 teams by their accomplishments, so the margin between these three is very, very minuscule. What all 3 have done is amazing, but I think what VCU has done is the most amazing of all the 3.

Hmmm, what about Butler last year? Making it to the finals then the Final Four makes Butler the current King of the Mid Majors.

GMU definitely had the tougher road to the Final Four, but I think that VCU is a better team that that Mason team. That Mason team was just so perfect together, but I think VCU's individual parts are better. Skeen and Burgess are legitimate NBA prospects, and nobody on that Mason team was. Skinn, Lewis and Thomas were very good players, but none of those guys were ever going to make it in the NBA.

dude, **** the play in game. butler and mason didn't even have the possiblity to play in the "first four" round because it never existed. vcu should be grateful for that first four round or they would have played in the NIT

Um, no. Clemson and UAB would have probably been the ones in the NIT since they were lower seeded at larges than VCU.

dude, **** the play in game. butler and mason didn't even have the possiblity to play in the "first four" round because it never existed. vcu should be grateful for that first four round or they would have played in the NIT

you could be right, but personally, I think VCU would have gotten the nod before USC in the first place.

Hmmm, what about Butler last year? Making it to the finals then the Final Four makes Butler the current King of the Mid Majors.

Last years Butler teams was ranked in the top 25 for a good portion of the season and also earned a #5 in the tournament. Based on that, you could have reasonably had them advancing to the Final Four in your bracket. On the other hand, Mason and VCU both were one of the last few teams in the field and neither were expected to even win a single game.

S4L12, when you look at shooting percentages though (FTs aside, of course), you have to consider that defense impacts that. Now, if you know that Kansas was missing wide open shots, that's one thing, but VCU's D should get some of the credit for KU's poor shooting.

i'm sorry, but VCU's D wasn't anything exceptional yesterday. Kansas had open looks from 3 and was air balling them. It was a sad sight for Kansas fans

---------- Post added March-28th-2011 at 11:01 AM ----------

Um, no. Clemson and UAB would have probably been the ones in the NIT since they were lower seeded at larges than VCU.

If it was the traditional format, VCU would not have made it in. There would have been that much more pressure on the selection committee and i doubt they would have but VCU in over all the other bubble teams. its moot at this point, but i think the play in game actually benefitted VCU to help them get hot at the right time

i'm sorry, but VCU's D wasn't anything exceptional yesterday. Kansas had open looks from 3 and was air balling them. It was a sad sight for Kansas fans

No need to apologize. I'm sure they missed some open shots. I'm just saying that you can't simply cast GMU as a victim of a hot-shooting opponent while saying VCU benefited from a cold-shooting opponent. It's slightly more complicated than that.

No need to apologize. I'm sure they missed some open shots. I'm just saying that you can't simply cast GMU as a victim of a hot-shooting opponent while saying VCU benefited from a cold-shooting opponent. It's slightly more complicated than that.

i don't mean to attack you, but seriously look at the stats.

Here is OSU's shooting percentages against Mason in the 2nd round:

61% from the field

61.5% from 3 point land. 16 for 26

Keep in mind this is including the shooting from their reserves towards the end of the game.

Now please compare those stats to the shooting stats of Kansas.

There is NO WAY VCU would have beaten an OSU team shooting like that. Never would have happened. Thats what I mean when I saw that VCU had a fortunate draw over Mason and ODU. They caught Kansas on a bad day.

i don't mean to attack you, but seriously look at the stats.

Here is OSU's shooting percentages against Mason in the 2nd round:

61% from the field

61.5% from 3 point land. 16 for 26

Keep in mind this is including the shooting from their reserves towards the end of the game.

Now please compare those stats to the shooting stats of Kansas.

There is NO WAY VCU would have beaten an OSU team shooting like that. Never would have happened. Thats what I mean when I saw that VCU had a fortunate draw over Mason and ODU. They caught Kansas on a bad day.

There was no team that was beating OSU that day when Mason faced them. They just shot lights out, and were unbeatable.

I'm still sticking to my story of that VCU had the more fortunate draw over Mason and ODU, and if VCU loses to Butler on Saturday then I will be right. ODU got a raw deal in being matched up with another hot mid-major team in Butler, which was the only 1st round game where 2 mid-major teams were matched up against one another.

Now if VCU beats Butler on Saturday, I will admit I was completely and utterly wrong, but I'm still standing by my story that both ODU and Mason are better teams than VCU, and proved it on the court, but VCU got by far the most favorable draw in the tournament.

Archived