Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

More impressive/better team: 2006 GMU vs. 2011 VCU

Spaceman Spiff

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

i don't mean to attack you, but seriously look at the stats.

Here is OSU's shooting percentages against Mason in the 2nd round:

61% from the field

61.5% from 3 point land. 16 for 26

Keep in mind this is including the shooting from their reserves towards the end of the game.

Now please compare those stats to the shooting stats of Kansas.

There is NO WAY VCU would have beaten an OSU team shooting like that. Never would have happened. Thats what I mean when I saw that VCU had a fortunate draw over Mason and ODU. They caught Kansas on a bad day.

I didn't say that hitting open shots doesn't contribute...of course it does. I just think defense plays into bad shooting more than you'd think. Again, I acknowledge that KU missed some open shots, but they also missed plenty of contested shots and had to work very hard for those open shots in many cases. I'm assuming you know basketball, so you have to acknowledge what good defense does to the shooting of other teams. I was a shooter...plain and simple. Even if you JUST look at open 3-pointers, I could certainly tell the difference between a good defensive team and bad one. If you're running off of 4 picks before you even get the ball in your hands or you're rushing through your shot because you've been frustrated in not getting one off in the previous 6 trips down the floor, it's going to impact your shooting.

You can downplay their D if you want and just assume that they got lucky, but there's more to it than that.

I didn't say that hitting open shots doesn't contribute...of course it does. I just think defense plays into bad shooting more than you'd think. Again, I acknowledge that KU missed some open shots, but they also missed plenty of contested shots and had to work very hard for those open shots in many cases. I'm assuming you know basketball, so you have to acknowledge what good defense does to the shooting of other teams. I was a shooter...plain and simple. Even if you JUST look at open 3-pointers, I could certainly tell the difference between a good defensive team and bad one. If you're running off of 4 picks before you even get the ball in your hands or you're rushing through your shot because you've been frustrated in not getting one off in the previous 6 trips down the floor, it's going to impact your shooting.

You can downplay their D if you want and just assume that they got lucky, but there's more to it than that.

I just don't think VCU's defense did anything special against Kansas. I think Mason and especially ODU have a better defense than VCU. Kansas just couldn't hit and OSU was on fire when we played them. Just the way it goes

I'm not discrediting VCU's shooting on the other hand. They are red hot and will continue to be until teams take them out of their comfort zone.

Archived