Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Reggie Miller a HOFer? (Poll - PLEASE Read Article B4 Voting)

G.A.C.O.L.B.

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Prime Kemp >>>> Prime Reggie

That HOF calculator actually has Kemp 14 spots above Reggie.

Well Kemp in his prime was almost a 20 and 10 player. Not quite. Great player nonetheless. 6x all-star. 3x all-nba second team. Similar to Miller's accomplishments. Had a Finals appearance and lost to Jordan. Doubt he gets into the Hall of Fame.

It always looks better when you're a big man and you get those rebound numbers. 18 and 10 looks better than 21 4 and 4.

pretty much sums me up as well

hard to argue with the facts in the article

very sad when people let "good" writing and stats overshadow actually watching someone play the game. Reggie was clutch as ****....is there a stat for clutch? I don't think so. Dude came through when it mattered most. Like Jordan, unlike LeBron.

---------- Post added March-27th-2011 at 08:32 PM ----------

Prime Kemp >>>> Prime Reggie

That HOF calculator actually has Kemp 14 spots above Reggie.

The Hall of fame calculator also had Chris Bosh ranked higher than Dwight howard....what a joke!

also...I agree with Kemp in his prime over reggie in his prime....but I think everyone on earth besides maybe Mcqueen and Chipwich would take reggie's career over kemp

---------- Post added March-27th-2011 at 08:34 PM ----------

What do you mean funny? Funny how?

get your ****in' shine box

Well Kemp in his prime was almost a 20 and 10 player. Not quite. Great player nonetheless. 6x all-star. 3x all-nba second team. Similar to Miller's accomplishments. Had a Finals appearance and lost to Jordan. Doubt he gets into the Hall of Fame.

It always looks better when you're a big man and you get those rebound numbers. 18 and 10 looks better than 21 4 and 4.

What do you mean not quite? Compared to Reggie's 20 and 3? And their greater to Reggie's accomplishments. As the piece in the OP said, Miller appeared on the All NBA 3rd Team three times. Kemp was on the All NBA Second Team. Kemp one more All Star appearance. And Kemp's career relevance lasted about as half long as Reggie's because of drugs and other issues.

If you were starting a team today you would honestly take prime Reggie over prime Kemp? Kemp = dominate. Reggie = not.

And I'm not arguing for Kemp in the HOF.

---------- Post added March-27th-2011 at 08:38 PM ----------

Lol, Gator getting bitter. Just admit I was right buddy :)

No, but a big man is much more vital than a pure shooting guard 99% of the time. Not quite as in he was around 18 and 10 or 19 and 9. Not quite 20 and 10. Easier to get 10 rebs a game than 10 assists a game.

1 more all-star game doesn't mean much to me in a league that only gave Jordan 5 MVP's and where Shaq gets voted into the All-Star game with stats about as good as Brendan Haywood.

Anyway, if he gets in he gets in, if not, not.

i was skeptical at first, but, after reading the article, it looks as if he should not be in the hall. definitely in the ring of fame for the pacers, if they have one.

he reminds me of santana moss. longevity, good guy, very good at one thing, the best player on his team over a course of years, some dominant moments, etc. but just not enough for the hall.

i do remember that he was really really clutch with free throws and i remember him scoring like twentysome points in a quarter once.

i was skeptical at first, but, after reading the article, it looks as if he should not be in the hall. definitely in the ring of fame for the pacers, if they have one.

he reminds me of santana moss. longevity, good guy, very good at one thing, the best player on his team over a course of years, some dominant moments, etc. but just not enough for the hall.

i do remember that he was really really clutch with free throws and i remember him scoring like twentysome points in a quarter once.

Santana Moss is a terrible example. Moss isn't even on the RADAR, as far as getting in his sport's HOF. While I don't think Miller is worthy, he at least is in the conversation.

Kemp was a god. And it's a goddamn travesty that they gave McIlvaine all that money and ****ed up that team. That was my squad on NBA Jam. Payton and Kemp, with Schrempf for when I got bored with crushing fools.

Golden State. Tim Hardaway and Mullen. I will cook you son......

What makes a HOFer? I think it is someone who is/was always the most important/best player on the team. Another criteria I have is what did they do in the clutch and in the post-season. If they are lacking in that, I look at the the stats (Per Game) .

Reggie Miller

I am not going to sit here and say that I know a lot of things about Reggie Miller. However, the things I do know, I say why not put him in the hall of fame? His overall stats may look bland, but from 89-90 to 97-98, he was averaging 20ppg. We all know he could shoot the lights out. His defense was okay, and to me, his defense was above average.

In my opinion I think he, like everybody else who shined in the 90's, they played in the wrong era.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am a Pacers fan because of Reggie.

I do believe he will be a HOF, but not a first ballot. It is nuts he was left off of the ballot, but oh well. The NBA Hall Of fame is a joke.

I miss Reggie and his clutch-ness, especially against the Knicks (those 8.9 seconds were amazing)

Just as food for thought, but everyone saying this article changed your mind, there are always two sides to a story.

Reasons Reggie should be in the Hall: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/613610-reggie-miller-and-basketball-hall-of-fame-10-reasons-he-should-be-a-finalist

---------- Post added March-28th-2011 at 12:08 AM ----------

Not sure why Kemp was brought up.....

Reggie was a amazing shooter, when he was hot he could hit from anywhere. I will never forget his 39 at 39 game.

---------- Post added March-28th-2011 at 12:08 AM ----------

Not sure why Kemp was brought up.....

Reggie was a amazing shooter, when he was hot he could hit from anywhere. I will never forget his 39 at 39 game.

one of the game’s best 3-point shooters and clutch playoff performers

Not only was he among the best in those departments, he was also among the best at drawing fouls. We're talking about a guy that's one of the game’s best at 3 different things. That's HOF worthy.

But he still wasn't one of the best players of his era.

I mean looking at the stats, he's basically Nick Young + a good team + Spike Lee

Nick Young us a bad defender who averages 17.4 ppg this season.

Reggie was a rather bad defender who averaged 18.2 ppg for his career.

---------- Post added March-28th-2011 at 08:27 AM ----------

Not only was he among the best in those departments, he was also among the best at drawing fouls. We're talking about a guy that's one of the game’s best at 3 different things. That's HOF worthy.

He never lead the league in 3 pt percentage. was only in the top 10 once in his career. Clutch player? His teams didn't win championships, nor did they go particularly deep into the playoffs. Good at drawing fouls? They don't put floppers into the HOF. Reggie was a good player on an average, or little above average team in a state which took their basketball very seriously. Reggie was not a great player, Reggie was certainly not a hof player.

---------- Post added March-28th-2011 at 08:58 AM ----------

OP, good article and I agree with your reaction to this. Our initial reaction to Reggie brings up all the big playoff moments he's been involved in. Let it settle, and you see he was never dominant at his position, even post-MJ, and didn't win a title. His HoF resume kinda resembles DM5 to me. A very good player during his era, on a consistently good team, but was never thought of as great and never won a title.

I don't even think he was a great player. He was a good player... Dr. Jay, George Gervin, Dominique, Clyde Drexler. Those were great players who played on good teams but either didn't win any or won few championships because they were blocked by greater talents....

Reggie and his 18 ppg shooting from the outside without really many other good scoring options on his team; doesn't really compare. Dominique is the kind of guy you put in the hall of fame who never won a championship. 9 time allstar, consistantly in the top 5 scorring in the league, rookie of the year, Averaged greater than 20 ppg for 11 consecutive seasons and lead the league in scoring with 30 ppg in 85.

Archived