Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your worst consumer experience?

jnhay

I'm so mad right now. Back in February, a full month ago, I took my watch over to a local jewelry store to get the crown repaired because it won't screw down. The woman behind the counter says "We'll call you ASAP with the estimate." A week goes by, no call, so I call them - "Oh the watch repair man just dropped by to pick it up, we'll call you once we have an estimate." Another week goes by, so I drop by "We haven't been able to speak with him, so we'll call you with an update if the repair costs more than $45" My Dad stops by the store earlier this week since he was in the area - "Oh it's taken too long, I'm going to call the guy and call your son ASAP." -NO CALL!

Fast forward to today. I CALL THEM. - "Oh, we were just about to call you. We couldn't order the part, so I got the watch back from the repair man, so you can pick it up." First off, how come you never told me you had to order a part? Second, it took you a ****ing month to 1. Not give me a solid estimate of the cost of the repair and 2. Not fix the ****ing watch! This has probably been my worst experience as a consumer, and I really feel these people have taken advantage of my patience. I just wanted to vent a little here, because I'm so angry right now. Any stories you guys can share?

I have issues with Comcast almost every two months and have been having them for the last 2 years. My worst experience was probably last year when internet and TV went down in my apartment. My roommate was the first to call and they give him a generic "our technicians are fixing the problem". About 24 hours pass by and still nothing fixed. So I go online and ask WTF is going on. The online rep tells me that there are "mass outages" in our area. Weird thing, none of the other Comcast customers in our building or in nearby areas are having any issues. The lady tells me that she will notify engineers in my area ASAP. Another 24 hours pass by and no TV/internet. I then call the local Comcast office and they give me the same bull**** answer that they are noticing an area technicality problem that they are working on. Apparently it was going to be fixed within 12 hours.

This whole time my roommate and I had been asking to have a technician come to our apartment but Comcast kept bull****ting us with area wide "issues". The next day I called the local office again and the ****ing lady who had been bull****ting us tells me that it's probably not a local issue and that we need technicians. This particular phone call took place on a Thursday and the lady tells me that the next engineer is available on ****ing Monday. At this point I went on a long, probably incoherent cursing tirade that must have lasted for at least 30 minutes. The lady wouldn't budge but I had made up my mind that I wouldn't hang up until I got an engineer to come within the next 4 hours.

Eventually, she ended up calling one of the local engineers who showed up at my place in 30 minutes. It took him less than 20 minutes to fix some wiring issue that apparently happened behind our apartment building.

**** Comcast.

That sucks. My worst consumer experience was a few days ago. I did the recommended firmware update FROM SONY on my PS3, and my blu-ray quit working. I contacted Sony to see about getting it fixed. They informed me that it was going to cost me $150 to have it repaired, since it was no longer under warranty. I told them it was BS, since it was their update that messed it up in the first place. They informed me that I relieved Sony of all liability once I clicked the agree button, and that I was now responsible for it. I made a joking comment to the lady and said, "Damn, I knew I should've gotten the extended warranty." She informed me that it wouldn't have mattered, because it still would not have been covered. :wtf:

Really long story short, they admitted that it was their fault that my PS3 no longer worked. They then apologized and told me I still had to pay $150. Now, because my mind works the way it does, I'm trying to find out something to get them back and be a pain. What I want to know, is if I decide to pay this fee and get them to fix it, can I disassemble every little piece of the entire console, mail it in, and still make them fix it? Or could they tell me to go to hell and refuse to fix it? Sure, I'd still be pissed about having to spend $150 to correct their mistake, but I'd have the satisfaction of knowing some punk had to sit there and spend way more time than he thought he was going to have to :pfft:

This whole time my roommate and I had been asking to have a technician come to our apartment but Comcast kept bull****ting us with area wide "issues". The next day I called the local office again and the ****ing lady who had been bull****ting us tells me that it's probably not a local issue and that we need technicians. This particular phone call took place on a Thursday and the lady tells me that the next engineer is available on ****ing Monday. At this point I went on a long, probably incoherent cursing tirade that must have lasted for at least 30 minutes. The lady wouldn't budge but I had made up my mind that I wouldn't hang up until I got an engineer to come within the next 4 hours.

Eventually, she ended up calling one of the local engineers who showed up at my place in 30 minutes. It took him less than 20 minutes to fix some wiring issue that apparently happened behind our apartment building.

**** Comcast.

I wish I could go on a cursing tirade like that without feeling guilty for doing so afterwards.

A few years ago I was having internet problems with Comcast. I'd lose the connection randomly at any time , sometimes 20 times a day. Sometimes I could reset the modem and it would work, others I couldn't.

It was bad, I couldn't get any work done. I do practically everything online, many times I never even meet my clients, it's all done through email. I lost work because of emails I thought had sent never went anywhere because I wasn't connected, etc. Many times left me looking bad trying to explain why what I sent was late, or why it never got there.

So I'd call Comcast. And go through their five minutes of ads while i wait for the phone system to get me to someone. And i'd explain it to them again. And then I'd listen to them tell me that if I needed to run my business I could have a T-1 line for 300 bucks a month. And then I'd have to tell them that all i needed was a connection. And they'd check the signal, whinch invariably would be fine when they sent their ping. So I'd insist on a technician.. always a four to five day wait, he'll show between 8-5.. so the whole day is gone. I went through this literally about 2 dozen times.. the same damn techs coming out, the same damn techs telling me some bull****.. like "A node down the street is putting out too much noise." It seemed whenever they came, it always checked out fine.. and when they left, an hour later i'd have problems again.

This went on for MONTHS. Finally one guy said that when my cable was installed, it was pre-internet and couldn't handle the signal. So they would put in a work order and bring in a new line from the pole.

So, they send these two geniuses out with a ditch witch, and they cut a line thru my yard, thru my phone line, and thru the street.. to the wrong ****ing pole.

SO, when I came home and told them that my feed came from THAT pole over THERE.. they had to put in a new work order and would be back in a few days to fix it.

(Verizon was out in two hours and had my phone fixed before the end of the day. My favorite company. I've never had an issue with them ever.)

So thy came out in a couple days and dug to the right pole, and hooked me up with a brand spanking new cable.

And it didn't fix the problem. I had to call again. And again. and finally out came this NEW guy. A new tech, and he decides to change out the modem and see what happened.

And I've never had a problem since.

I hate Comcast. Despise them. Every time I read about someone going nuts in a Comcast office, I figure they have a perfectly good reason to be in there swinging.

~Bang

I wish I could go on a cursing tirade like that without feeling guilty for doing so afterwards.

Call my wife, she'll gladly do it for you. I think she gets off on it :ols:

She always gets her way with customer service as a result, even a few times when she was in the wrong. She's all sweet and dainty normally, but when you cross her it's like satan's fury.

---------- Post added March-19th-2011 at 02:26 PM ----------

A few years ago I was having internet problems with Comcast. I'd lose the connection randomly at any time , sometimes 20 times a day. Sometimes I could reset the modem and it would work, others I couldn't.

It was bad, I couldn't get any work done. I do practically everything online, many times I never even meet my clients, it's all done through email. I lost work because of emails I thought had sent never went anywhere because I wasn't connected, etc. Many times left me looking bad trying to explain why what I sent was late, or why it never got there.

So I'd call Comcast. And go through their five minutes of ads while i wait for the phone system to get me to someone. And i'd explain it to them again. And then I'd listen to them tell me that if I needed to run my business I could have a T-1 line for 300 bucks a month. And then I'd have to tell them that all i needed was a connection. And they'd check the signal, whinch invariably would be fine when they sent their ping. So I'd insist on a technician.. always a four to five day wait, he'll show between 8-5.. so the whole day is gone. I went through this literally about 2 dozen times.. the same damn techs coming out, the same damn techs telling me some bull****.. like "A node down the street is putting out too much noise." It seemed whenever they came, it always checked out fine.. and when they left, an hour later i'd have problems again.

This went on for MONTHS. Finally one guy said that when my cable was installed, it was pre-internet and couldn't handle the signal. So they would put in a work order and bring in a new line from the pole.

So, they send these two geniuses out with a ditch witch, and they cut a line thru my yard, thru my phone line, and thru the street.. to the wrong ****ing pole.

SO, when I came home and told them that my feed came from THAT pole over THERE.. they had to put in a new work order and would be back in a few days to fix it.

(Verizon was out in two hours and had my phone fixed before the end of the day. My favorite company. I've never had an issue with them ever.)

So thy came out in a couple days and dug to the right pole, and hooked me up with a brand spanking new cable.

And it didn't fix the problem. I had to call again. And again. and finally out came this NEW guy. A new tech, and he decides to change out the modem and see what happened.

And I've never had a problem since.

I hate Comcast. Despise them. Every time I read about someone going nuts in a Comcast office, I figure they have a perfectly good reason to be in there swinging.

~Bang

We have Cox communications out here, and always have a ton of problems with them, They are usually really petty problems, just annoying. I complain all the time, but then I hear stories like yours on a regular basis from friends that have Comcast, and it makes me so happy I have another option :pfft:

I still pray every day that Fios will be available sometime here in the near future. I think I'm in the only neighborhood in the city that didn't get it for whatever reason. I have a friend that's an engineer for Verizon that looked my info up to see why they didn't get us hooked up, and he says it's because we're in the old GTS framework, and at this time, it isn't worth it for Verizon to rework everything.

I want to drive a metal pole right through my TV every time I see those Comcast "best customer service" ads on TV. They are the ****ing bane of my existence. I've lived in two different communities and none of them allow for any other service but Comcast.

jnhay, what type of watch is it? I work for Dakota Watch company, we repair crowns all the time

---------- Post added March-19th-2011 at 02:30 PM ----------

She always gets her way with customer service as a result, even a few times when she was in the wrong. She's all sweet and dainty normally, but when you cross her it's like satan's fury.

We have Cox communications out here, and always have a ton of problems with them, They are usually really petty problems, just annoying. I complain all the time, but then I hear stories like yours on a regular basis from friends that have Comcast, and it makes me so happy I have another option :pfft:

I still pray every day that Fios will be available sometime here in the near future. I think I'm in the only neighborhood in the city that didn't get it for whatever reason. I have a friend that's an engineer for Verizon that looked my info up to see why they didn't get us hooked up, and he says it's because we're in the old GTS framework, and at this time, it isn't worth it for Verizon to rework everything.

I despise cox communications. After being stuck with them for 3 years and now finally having Fios, I will never go back to them again.

---------- Post added March-19th-2011 at 02:31 PM ----------

I despise cox communications. After being stuck with them for 3 years and now finally having Fios, I will never go back to them again.

Oh man, I wish i had another option. For YEARS I have been practicing my grand speech to Comcast on the day I tell them I am cancelling.

Considering all the tech industry down in this area, it baffles me why FIOS isn't here.

~Bang

I want to drive a metal pole right through my TV every time I see those Comcast "best customer service" ads on TV. They are the ****ing bane of my existence. I've lived in two different communities and none of them allow for any other service but Comcast.

:cheers:

We should start a club

And then we should use it to hit Comcast customer "service" reps in the shins.

~Bang

We should start a club

~Bang

This would be like Republicans v Democrats.

Same ****, different offering.

Fios is no bed of roses, not on customer service, not on cost, nothing. Watch your Fios bills, you think Comcast changes up on you, Fios drops add ons to your bill like nobody's business.

They both suck.

Do tell. I've gotten decent deals, but not rapeworthy.

My friend does this and gets free HBO for 3 months and other premium channels, or credits to his bills. He is really aggressive though with the way he deals with them, and I don't actually know what he says. He's gotten 3 months of Fios for free before. He also paid the employee rate for his Sprint service for about a year because he used to work at Circuit City 3 years ago. I don't actually know if that still works for him, but he was paying almost half what I was paying for the same service for over a year after he stopped working at Circuit City. He only worked there for a month, max...

That sucks. My worst consumer experience was a few days ago. I did the recommended firmware update FROM SONY on my PS3, and my blu-ray quit working. I contacted Sony to see about getting it fixed. They informed me that it was going to cost me $150 to have it repaired, since it was no longer under warranty. I told them it was BS, since it was their update that messed it up in the first place. They informed me that I relieved Sony of all liability once I clicked the agree button, and that I was now responsible for it. I made a joking comment to the lady and said, "Damn, I knew I should've gotten the extended warranty." She informed me that it wouldn't have mattered, because it still would not have been covered. :wtf:

Really long story short, they admitted that it was their fault that my PS3 no longer worked. They then apologized and told me I still had to pay $150. Now, because my mind works the way it does, I'm trying to find out something to get them back and be a pain. What I want to know, is if I decide to pay this fee and get them to fix it, can I disassemble every little piece of the entire console, mail it in, and still make them fix it? Or could they tell me to go to hell and refuse to fix it? Sure, I'd still be pissed about having to spend $150 to correct their mistake, but I'd have the satisfaction of knowing some punk had to sit there and spend way more time than he thought he was going to have to :pfft:

15 minutes will fix everything.

Step 1- Bullet point what happened in a concise well written step by step email

Step 2 - Find contact information for senior level Sony leadership - that should be an easy one

Step 3 - email them your story

Step 4 - wait for a free PS3 or email with instructions for free repair

Step 5 - thank me :)

jnhay, what type of watch is it? I work for Dakota Watch company, we repair crowns all the time

It's a Hamilton. I think they might have some strict rules on who can order their parts. Maybe it's only the "authorized dealers", but if you know a place in the area that could fix mine I'd be grateful.

thing is though you as a consumer can rape comcast and get the best deal for them if you try hard.

This is the one thing I love about Cox Communications. I found out through a friend on the inside that they actually employ a customer retention department. We have been customers forever, and last year they decided to jack up our rates by $85 per month for the bundle (we had digital cable and internet through them). I also noticed they had a new deal for new customers that gave them the world for less than we were paying. I called and complained, and told them I wanted to cancel everything, They forwarded me to the customer retention department, who asked me why I wanted to cancel. When I told them, they asked me if there was any way I would stay, so I said I wanted the new customer deal. So now, we have HD Digital cable with DVR service and 2 premium channels, phone service with free long distance, voicemail, call waiting, everything offered on a phone, and the upper tier of internet service. All this, and we're paying $18 less per month than what we were paying for regular digital cable, no phone, and bottom tier internet. Trust me, it pays to complain.

---------- Post added March-19th-2011 at 03:07 PM ----------

15 minutes will fix everything.

Step 1- Bullet point what happened in a concise well written step by step email

Step 2 - Find contact information for senior level Sony leadership - that should be an easy one

Step 3 - email them your story

Step 4 - wait for a free PS3 or email with instructions for free repair

Step 5 - thank me :)

You're a genius, I will be doing this ASAP.

I had a bad experience with Uhaul that gets my blood boiling every time I think about it. When I moved, I signed a document acknowledging that the Uhaul had 1/4 tank of gas (the mark was slightly below this, but not much). Basically you pay an inflated charge for gas if you bring the truck back with less than you got it with. So, after using the truck I put in more than enough gas to cover what I used. However the needle did not move. A few days after the truck was returned I saw a big charge on my CC for refueling. So I called and explained, and I offered to bring in my gas receipt showing how much gas (diesel) I put in. They had the mileage of the truck before and after I rented it, so it was obvious that the extra gas I put in would more than cover the miles I traveled. They also filled the tank up after I brought it in and they had documented that. It took less than 50% of the fuel capacity of the truck to fill it up. So, it was obvious that the tank was more than half full when I brought it in even though the needle was still at just below 1/4 of a tank. They also had rented the truck again after filling the tank, and their documentation showed that despite fully filling the tank, the gas gauge read the same 1/4 of the tank the next time they rented it out.

After several hours of phone calls, the basic answer I got was, "you signed the contract saying you had 1/4 of a tank and the needle said less than that when you brought it in. So you owe the money." I made several attempts to complain to the national office, but couldn’t get a live person to discuss it.

I eventually gave up on it.

After several hours of phone calls, the basic answer I got was, "you signed the contract saying you had 1/4 of a tank and the needle said less than that when you brought it in. So you owe the money." I made several attempts to complain to the national office, but couldn’t get a live person to discuss it.

I eventually gave up on it.

I hate that crap. It's like you have to get a lawyer to handle such a minor issue if you want anything done about it.

We should start a club

~Bang

We'd be four deep in the club. A friend of mine got Comcast service last year. At the end of his installation for the internet the engineer noticed that he forgot to bring the cable box. He tells my friend that he'll go fetch one and be back in 30 minutes. Out of good faith, my friend signed that stupid document that Comcast makes you sign at the end of any repair/installation.

The guy didn't show up for about 3 hours so my friend called the local office. The office told him that this fellow is now busy with other customers and they can't offer him another engineer for another 4 days.

Comcast is the biggest piece of **** service provider.

Comcast before I ditched them for FIOS was something else.

The 'technicians' (who had all the professionalism of a good ol' boy delivering firewood) would come out to the house with no idea what to do, and would just plain lie about the source of problems. I'd talk them through what the solution was but they'd refuse to implement it. They were incapable of diagnosing the problem, unwilling to fix it and their supervisors didn't care.

Archived