Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Modern Day Slavery Ignored?

Koolblue13

I keep reading the AP comments in the ATN section and nobody seems to realize there is already modern day slavery in America. I'm not talking about illegal workers either. The sex slave trade is alive and well. Also, in other Nations around the World, slavery continues.

I understand the anger from the past and our nation history, but that has been abolished and we are currently moving on. People seem to harp on that slavery and how awful it was, but ignore what's going on today.

I'm just curious as to why that is.

Have you ever seen a sex slave in real life?

I think there's your answer. It's relatively well hidden -- out of sight and out of mind. Tough to identify and easy to ignore. Outside of the occasional expose on the news, it's not a hot topic (though it definitely should be).

Sincere answer: It's because it's a taboo subject. Most of us aren't aware of it and it's a very ugly topic and so avoid it. I know it exists, but I have no idea how prevelent it is, where it happens, or what we can do. I also know it's illegal and so other than calling the authorities if it's wrong and voicing my opposition... One of the reasons taboos persist is because we don't want to talk or acknowledge them. That winds up giving the deviants and ****s cover.

Wise-arse, inappropriate, tongue in cheek answer-- It's a center-right country and as long as we have God-loving Conservative Confederate Flag waving masses slavery will always be a problem in this country.

I think there's your answer. It's relatively well hidden -- out of sight and out of mind. Tough to identify and easy to ignore. Outside of the occasional expose on the news, it's not a hot topic (though it definitely should be).

Let's also not forget- sex sells.

Sincere answer: It's because it's a taboo subject. Most of us aren't aware of it and it's a very ugly topic and so avoid it. I know it exists, but I have no idea how prevelent it is, where it happens, or what we can do. I also know it's illegal and so other than calling the authorities if it's wrong and voicing my opposition... One of the reasons taboos persist is because we don't want to talk or acknowledge them. That winds up giving the deviants and ****s cover.

Wise-arse, inappropriate, tongue in cheek answer-- It's a center-right country and as long as we have God-loving Conservative Confederate Flag waving masses slavery will always be a problem in this country.

That is a wise-*** answer, because I don't think the right wing has anything to do with sex slavery around the world. Also, I don't know how AP can argue with getting payed millions of dollars slavery, but I didn't go to the same college as him, so maybe we took a different history class. The truth is slavery was legal back in the day and it was fought to abolish it. Modern day slavery is illegal, but just like other illegal things it can't all be stopped. Drugs are illegal, but still big business and can't all be stop at once. Sex slavery is not visible enough in this country as drugs are to get it more attention.

Yes, I have...I ministered to girls recovered from the human trafficking rings in Moldova a while back....those women are scarred for life, sold into slavery as CHILDREN.....it is oh so real and very terrible....those girls got robbed of their childhood and life, for that matter........

btw, great thread..we need to get this topic out there...here is a link of a home in Moldova that rescues these girls and you can read up or even donate money to help them care for these girls...

http://www.harvestmoldova.com/ministries/home-of-hope

Yes, I have...I ministered to girls recovered from the human trafficking rings in Moldova a while back....those women are scarred for life, sold into slavery as CHILDREN.....it is oh so real and very terrible....those girls got robbed of their childhood and life, for that matter........

btw, great thread..we need to get this topic out there...here is a link of a home in Moldova that rescues these girls and you can read up or even donate money to help them care for these girls...

http://www.harvestmoldova.com/ministries/home-of-hope

My first real job was working in a psych ward and it was a very difficult experience emotionally. Bless you, for taking on this kind of challenge. It must be incredibly uplifting and torturously difficult at the same time.

My first real job was working in a psych ward and it was a very difficult experience emotionally. Bless you, for taking on this kind of challenge. It must be incredibly uplifting and torturously difficult at the same time.

Thanks Burgold...most times work like this is selfless and thankless but I weep everytime I think about those girls and what they've been through....I could tell you stories that would make you cry...no one should have to go thru that. I'm going back over there probably around the end of the year. (I hope)

Just to share a little....had one girl to tell me that all her life all she knew from a man was evil and she could look into a man's eyes and see hatred but when she looked into my eyes all she saw was love, joy, peace.....What do you say to that?

People seem to harp on that slavery and how awful it was, but ignore what's going on today.

Uh, yeah ok. Next time I see someone with a sex slave, I will speak to him very sternly.

I'm just curious too...you REALLY can't figure out why this is "ignored?" It doesn't occur to you that statistically, a miniscule percentage of the people participate in it, a very small percentage of people have seen it or its effects, and probably a minority have even seen anything about it other than a promo for 60 minutes during a football game? What would "not ignoring it" look like to you? should I put something in my sig berating the participants in sex slavery? Should I go march around my local park carrying a sign? Wouldn't most anything be kind of pointless because all the participants are unknown, hidden, and would deny it if asked? The mechanics of this institution are not even remotely comparable to the past slavery of Africans.

What do you say to that?

Thank you.

---------- Post added March-17th-2011 at 10:26 PM ----------

Uh, yeah ok. Next time I see someone with a sex slave, I will speak to him very sternly.

I'm just curious too...you REALLY can't figure out why this is "ignored?" It doesn't occur to you that statistically, a miniscule percentage of the people participate in it, a very small percentage of people have seen it or its effects, and probably a minority have even seen anything about it other than a promo for 60 minutes during a football game? What would "not ignoring it" look like to you? should I put something in my sig berating the participants in sex slavery? Should I go march around my local park carrying a sign? Wouldn't most anything be kind of pointless because all the participants are unknown, hidden, and would deny it if asked? The mechanics of this institution are not even remotely comparable to the past slavery of Africans.

First, I don't understand the anger towards this question, especially since others have already said it's a good one.

Second, on a global level, it's prevalent.

---------- Post added March-17th-2011 at 10:26 PM ----------

First, I don't understand the anger towards this question, especially since others have already said it's a good one.

Second, on a global level, it's prevalent.

Slavery is ignored because people tend to think only of their own needs, they do not care if the girl dancing on stage or working the massage palour of the brothel is doing so because she wants to, so long as their want is being met.

Much like many do not care about if their goods are made by children of slave labours in another country so long as it is cheap

Archived