Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: Supreme Court rules Westboro Baptist Church has right to protest at U.S. Military Funerals

ECU-ALUM

That's a ridiculous comparison unless I was aware of what had happened to Snyder and went to harass him anyway or specifically because of it.

This has nothing to do with my feeling, it has to do with logic.

If you allow protesters to harrass funeral members you are taking a very serious risk.

Especially because there are usually going to be old people at funerals who are not in a good state of mind and body at the moment.

I don't think there's very many comparisons that can come close to matching the situation at a funeral.

The only thing I can think of that approaches this really is allowing protesters in the hospital rooms of people who are dying.

They're 1000 feet away. Not right next to the plot and interrupting the service. I thought the "protest outside an abortion clinic" was a perfect comparison. Certainly an extreme emotional state.

as much as I despise WB and their message, you don't lose your right to speak simply because what you have to say is unpopular, disrespectful or reprehensible (and they are all of those things and more)

Here's a question.

Would it have been all right to protest Ike Turner's funeral? Could NOW have held signs that said "Women beaters will burn in hell" and would that have been acceptable?

Is it just military funerals?

How about Nixon's funeral? Old people were there. His children were there.

Could I have held a sign that said "Cambodian children did not get to lie in state!"?

The SC made the correct decision.

If you could legally shut down WBC, you could also legally shut down the protestors in Wisconsin for example.

Both have inflammatory signage "God hates Fags" vs "Walker is Hitler".

You'd also be able to shut down any Tea Party protests on the other side of the spectrum.

The most shocking part of all of this is Alito's dissent. He may be more dangerous than I originally thought.

I thought the right-wing slant was Thomas as most extreme but least powerful, Scalia as slightly less extreme than Thomas but a better writer, Alito, Roberts.

It's possible Alito is the most extreme justice in the court's history.

His dissent travels into some pretty weird areas. His logic is that the deceased - as a private individual - was defamed by the signs. By dead people cannot be defamed. He's basically created a new right out of thin air and argued that in a balancing test, that right is more important than the right to political speech.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2011 at 12:49 PM ----------

Nice to see another unbiased CNN report. They are starting to rival TMZ for journalism standards.

Huh?

You might be on to something here. j/k

Plus you could bankrupt Jesse Jackson......after all Phelps is basically following his blueprint....prominent during the Civil Rights era....use a church's tax exempt status to launder money...run for office but lose the Democratic primary...then start the shakedown routine.

Nice to see another unbiased CNN report. They are starting to rival TMZ for journalism standards.

Uhhhh..............I know you think that CNN is the Communist News Network but what are you talking about? Something tells me that I'm going to be sorry I asked.

***starts folding his tin-foil hat.

Uhhhh..............I know you think that CNN is the Communist News Network but what are you talking about? Something tells me that I'm going to be sorry I asked.

***starts folding his tin-foil hat.

I just love the title of the story and how they quote a single dissenting justice. Basically this is one case that was not divided along party or ideogical lines and still CNN brings their typical diviseness to the table.

They're 1000 feet away. Not right next to the plot and interrupting the service. I thought the "protest outside an abortion clinic" was a perfect comparison. Certainly an extreme emotional state.

as much as I despise WB and their message, you don't lose your right to speak simply because what you have to say is unpopular, disrespectful or reprehensible (and they are all of those things and more)

This has nothing to do with the message of the Westboro folks.

It has to do with the harm they may cause to those at the funeral.

As long as they don't interfere with the funeral in a way that endangers the people there, it should be allowed.

I'm not saying to suspend free speech at funerals or all protesting should be made illegal.

I don't think there's any problem with protesting policy or the governement there.

I'm simply saying that protesting the dead and harassing the mourners at a funeral is inviting dangerous consequences.

I think it would maybe be ok though if they're far enough away that the mourners wouldn't notice them without trying.

I just love the title of the story and how they quote a single dissenting justice. Basically this is one case that was not divided along party or ideogical lines and still CNN brings their typical diviseness to the table.

CNN jumped the shark a few years back when they decided they had to sell out to gain eyeballs. They're certainly not what they were 15-20 years ago.

It's funny that people on this board can't recognize that what Fox does happens over at CNN as well.

This also seems like something that will lead to violence. Imagine attending a relative's/family member's funeral and having someone there with picket signs. I'd be throwing down on them in a minute.

It's six to ten people who stand 1,000 feet away. They have never responded to threats or violence. Again, the Phelps Family knows what it is doing.

Anyway, the key in this case to me has always been that the father did not what the signs said until he saw them on the news later that night. To me, he could have just as easily named the news broadcast as a defendant since "but for" it, he would not have suffered emotional distress.

While I disagree with the intent of Westboro Baptist Church, I agree with the SCs decision. Free speech protects especially the speech that really offends. I despise Westboro Baptist Church, and disagree with the protests and their message 100%, to the point of feeling ill typing this. But they have a right to peacefully assemble and display their speech. As much as it sickens me to write this........

My thoughts exactly. It's amazing, we agree about something. ;)

Seems like an obvious ruling. Those people are horrible for what they've done at military funerals and with gays... but freedom doesn't mean everything goes nicely or as we want it. I feel horrible for the kids caught up in that.

Are you saying the WBC is not anti-gay? Maybe you would prefer a distinction between the kind of virulent homophobia that they practice and the kinder, good ole-fashioned homophobia that is ostensibly a means to protect the Family.

Also, the dissenting opinion in this case is important exactly because this decision does not reflect the more typically partisan decisions.

It appears you are the one looking for divisiveness.

It looks like you're the one bringing typical divisiveness to the table. The story doesn't identify the dissenting justice or the gist of the dissent (both of which are newsworthy and obvious inquiries) until halfway through the article, and they only quote Alito once, while quoting the majority opinion several times. Really don't get where you're coming from on this. It's just that you're mad about the use of the (accurate) descriptor "anti-gay" in the title?

Archived