Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jets Roster Cuts-- FA's the Redskins Should Consider

SkinsTribeVA

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Gholston if he comes cheap.

But another thought, the cowboys and bears cut people that could be of some interest as well.

DE Marcus Spears (3-4 DE, 27 years old)

and

DT Tommie Harris (also 27 years old) would Harris fit into the 3-4 scheme as a DE maybe?

These two guys I think have had more production/upside than Gholston, but may be more expensive? What does everyone think about them?

Harris is not the same player he once was. Too many injuries. Spears would be a 'maybe' but the only guy I want on the Cowboys is Jason Hatcher.

Hatcher and Carriker = DE problem solved IMO.

Sometimes it takes time. James Harrison had 1, 3 and 0 sacks in his first three years. What would be the harm in bringing him in for competition?

1, 3, 0 is better than the 0 that Gholston has put up. Let's bring in Maybin and Gholston and see who can get a sack first.

The only way Gholston has any chance of somewhat reviving his career is to move to a 4-3 team as a DE. Even than his chances of a modicum of success are virtually zero. He has no passion for football.

Is this passion thing a rumor/opinion or fact?? This would be discussed on his visit. NOW that hes jobless, he should be motivated. Offer a cheap base incentive laden contract. Draft JJ Watt @10 and sign S.Rogers as a stop gap NT and P.Poslusky (ILB) and front 7 is solved. DRE(Watt), NT(Rogers), DLE(Carriker), ORLB(Orakpo), MLB(Poslusky/Fletch), OLLB (Gholston/Jackson)

Really? Jenkins has played in 7 games the last two years and is coming of a 2nd majore knee injury. That doesn't bode well for the 300+ lb lineman.

Gholston is invisible. Carriker > Gholston. what is the point of adding him?

Woodey is 33 and coming off an achilles injury. We've seen with J Brown it really takes a full season to start getting back into form. Wouldn't we be better served to just stick with Brown?

Really? Jenkins has played in 7 games the last two years and is coming of a 2nd majore knee injury. That doesn't bode well for the 300+ lb lineman.

Gholston is invisible. Carriker > Gholston. what is the point of adding him?

Woodey is 33 and coming off an achilles injury. We've seen with J Brown it really takes a full season to start getting back into form. Wouldn't we be better served to just stick with Brown?

Gholston would be a rush OLB not a 250# 3-4 DE..........Dont know why he didnt play for Rex, coulda been a Shanny/Albert thing. Probably in the doghouse 1st year and he gave him 1 more to change the attitude........

Gholston would be a rush OLB not a 250# 3-4 DE..........Dont know why he didnt play for Rex, coulda been a Shanny/Albert thing. Probably in the doghouse 1st year and he gave him 1 more to change the attitude........

He didn't play for Rex or Mangini, sometimes guys just don't pan out. He played OLB in NY as well and sucked which is why he was moved to DE this year to see if he could contribute from there. He didn't.

Was inactive duringthe playoffs.

Look at his stats, something like 5 sacks in 3 years.

He was a high draft pick but so was Ryan Leaf.

A change of scenery is always good...I dont think it can hurt! He has been a bust so he will not get a big contract from any team... (Gholston)

The article notes "Gholston, whose lack of passion and football instinct perplexed two coaching staffs." He's had two chances already. Pass.

Is this passion thing a rumor/opinion or fact?? This would be discussed on his visit. NOW that hes jobless, he should be motivated.

I live in NJ so I hear about his lack of passion for football all the time. Not sure if he can play OLB anymore I think the Jets had him bulk up considerably to play DE in a 3-4 front.

Shanahan has already said we're trying to get younger. All of them are old except for Gholston. He is a physical freak, but he doesn't have a single sack in three years. That's worse than Aaron Maybin. And he plays in a 3-4 with one of the better/best defensive coaches in the league. The only guy I'd take a look at is Jenkins but he is older and coming off back-to-back seasons with torn ACL's. I'd pass on all of them.

I live in NJ so I hear about his lack of passion for football all the time. Not sure if he can play OLB anymore I think the Jets had him bulk up considerably to play DE in a 3-4 front.

If he can bulk up, he can lose it. Just ask CP (lol). Mangini really isnt HC material and thats why he just lost 2 jobs back2back

The only way Gholston has any chance of somewhat reviving his career is to move to a 4-3 team as a DE. Even than his chances of a modicum of success are virtually zero. He has no passion for football.
Hit the nail on the head. Guy just couldn't make the transition to the 3-4 for whatever reason. He's a 4-3 DE if anything.

Same mold as Aaron Maybin, Derrick Harvey, etc. Caveat emptor when drafting that type of college DE. Still skeptical if we made the right choice turning Orakpo into a 3-4 OLB.

I think there are too many good linemen prospects, on both sides of the ball, in this years draft to go after some of these old guys. It's been reiterated here and there, but Shanny wants to build a young team around players with something to prove. I respect that, and that's more than likely the approach he will take.

I think there are too many good linemen prospects, on both sides of the ball, in this years draft to go after some of these old guys. It's been reiterated here and there, but Shanny wants to build a young team around players with something to prove. I respect that, and that's more than likely the approach he will take.

That would be a good idea if we still had a 3rd and 4th round draft pick. :doh:

That would be a good idea if we still had a 3rd and 4th round draft pick. :doh:

Who says we can't trade down?. Shanahan emphasizes building the right way and getting younger. None of these guys fit if that's the way we are going about this offseason. Gholston probably wants nothing to do with a 3-4, so he'll probably see us as a last resort (unless no one else comes calling). Anyways, this draft is weak for skill positions, but very deep when in comes to Lineman, especially on the defensive side. I'm all for trading down to the middle of the first round and picking up an extra third rounder. There seem to be a lot of 3-4 DE's and OLBS in this draft.

Who says we can't trade down?. Shanahan emphasizes building the right way and getting younger. None of these guys fit if that's the way we are going about this offseason. Gholston probably wants nothing to do with a 3-4, so he'll probably see us as a last resort (unless no one else comes calling). Anyways, this draft is weak for skill positions, but very deep when in comes to Lineman, especially on the defensive side. I'm all for trading down to the middle of the first round and picking up an extra third rounder. There seem to be a lot of 3-4 DE's and OLBS in this draft.

It is unrealistic to assume or even ponder trading down from a top ten pick. It does not occur often. You can't base your draft on a "what if". You have to assume you will be picking when your number is called. That is why it is so important for a CBA deal to get done so free agency can help build the roster with positions of need so you can then only worry about picking the BPA in the draft.

i would bring Gholston in as a camp body i dont see how it could hurt.. same with Jenkins.. both will not command money due to the fact that they havent been productive.. BUT.. i still would give them a shot.. never know.. im all for giving guys shots..

i would bring Gholston in as a camp body i dont see how it could hurt.. same with Jenkins.. both will not command money due to the fact that they havent been productive.. BUT.. i still would give them a shot.. never know.. im all for giving guys shots..

Not when it takes time away from evaluating players who could actually contribute. Both of these players' careers are over, why waste time with them? It hurts the team.

I don't understand why Skins fans are so obsessed with bringing in virtually everyone that gets cut. There are diamonds in the rough, but draft busts and aging injury cases are never among them.

Archived