Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jets Roster Cuts-- FA's the Redskins Should Consider

SkinsTribeVA

Today, the Jets released several players that the Redskins should take a look at in free agency. I don't intend for this to be one of the usual "SHOULD WE???" free agency threads, because these are not potential star players we're talking about-- these are Jets leftovers who will be cheap in free agency and, considering our extreme lack of depth across the board, should be considered as depth/competition pick-ups for the Skins.

-Vernon Gholston: 24 year old DE. He was the 6th overall pick by the Jets in 2008 and is a classic example of a bust. However, the same thing was said about Adam Carriker before we traded for him, and he by the end of last season he was putting in some good games for the Skins. Signing Gholston wouldn't require the Skins to break the bank, and we could really use some depth across the DL. Gholston's still a physical freak and perhaps a change of scenery and lowered expectations could turn out well for both sides.

-Kris Jenkins: Jenkins was a solid NT/DT for a long time in Carolina and then for a couple years in NY before he lost the starting job due to injuries. He can still deliver solid DL play when healthy. If the Redskins don't grab a stud NT in the draft or free agency, they should definitely consider picking up Jenkins to add to the NT rotation with Anthony Bryant and Kemo.

-Damien Woody: Similar story to Jenkins--he can still play some good football, but injuries are a concern. But is there really a single person here who would take Stephon Heyer over Damien Woody as our backup at RT? There's a good chance that Woody still considers himself a starter, which could actually be a positive if the FO decides they want to provide some competition for Jammal.

-Jason Taylor: Just kidding.

Another thing to keep an eye on is that the Jets are trying to re-sign Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, and Antonio Cromartie, all of whom have played well enough to command sizable contracts, thus there's a good chance they won't be able to re-sign all three in the end. If Cromartie hits the market, I'd love for the Skins to make an offer. Holmes or Edwards could fill a void at WR, but Holmes has been in trouble in the past while Braylon has the diva stigma.

ESPN article about Jets' roster cuts:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6168598

I agree on all your points. Although JetSkins didn't exactly work out the first time...

Jenkins is my first choice, even though he's old and injured. I think he fills a need and could come pretty cheap. Definitely an upgrade over what we have now.

If Rex Ryan can't get anything out of Vernon Gholston, I don't know if any defensive coach can.

I'm all for Jenkins, but I think he re-signs with the Jets.

As for Woody, I'll pass. I'd rather sign Ryan Harris who's much younger than Woody, and if that doesn't work I'd rather re-sign Brown who is younger and a better player than Woody.

Yea Jenkins is definitely my top want among this group. I've been harping on how bad our need for top-level NT play is, and if we're not going to be able to grab a potentially elite NT in the draft or FA, then we need to do everything possible to have a good rotation at NT next season.

Very good point about Rex Ryan and Gholston. He might just be a lost cause.

I mentioned this on another thread, but I agree about chasing after Jenkins (a Terp!). While he may not be the same as he was in Carolina, it would be the perfect stopgap solution at NT. Not many options for immediate starters in the draft (with good value) except in the second round, and we have so many holes to fill that we would rather focus on DE/OLB/G/WR/QB than any other position in the early rounds. While we plug in Jenkins as the starter at NT, we can groom a late round or UDFA to replace him. I'd also take on Gholston if he's cheap. Doubt he can ever be as great as everyone thought he would be, but maybe he needed the change of scenery.

I actually think Gholston could serve better in a 3-4 as a rush OLB opposite Orakpo as opposed to a 3-4 DE. He's a physical freak, but I don't think he has the physicality and size to shed double team blocks from the OL. I think on the edge he has the physical gifts to excel though. I don't think he's in a position to ask for a lot of money, so at a reasonable price he may be worth a shot, especially if they structure his contract so that he can be released during camp/preseason with little to no cap ramifications should he not pan out.

Vernon Golston is a different type of "bust" than Carriker in my opinion. He just doesn't understand football or doesn't care that much. Both players were way overhyped during the draft process, but Vernon is just plain bad.

Jenkins hates the Redskins and I hate him. Pretty sure I started a thread a few years ago mentioned an altercation we had in College Park where he drunkenly yelled at me "**** the Redskins!" So **** him. Plus, he'll be back with the Jets because he loves it there.

Damien Woody > Stephon Heyer. All day. I'm for it.

As for Edwards, Santonio, and Cromartie... Edwards is the only one who might actually be gone next year and he's kind of a head case to be honest. Not the type of dude we need around here.

As for the previous Jetskins era... I actually really liked Hall as our kicker and Coles had some okay moments.

I mentioned this on another thread, but I agree about chasing after Jenkins (a Terp!). While he may not be the same as he was in Carolina, it would be the perfect stopgap solution at NT. Not many options for immediate starters in the draft (with good value) except in the second round, and we have so many holes to fill that we would rather focus on DE/OLB/G/WR/QB than any other position in the early rounds. While we plug in Jenkins as the starter at NT, we can groom a late round or UDFA to replace him. I'd also take on Gholston if he's cheap. Doubt he can ever be as great as everyone thought he would be, but maybe he needed the change of scenery.

Isn't that what we thought Kemo would do for us. I just think jenkins is too injury prone to risk a roster spot.

I actually think Gholston could serve better in a 3-4 as a rush OLB opposite Orakpo as opposed to a 3-4 DE. He's a physical freak, but I don't think he has the physicality and size to shed double team blocks from the OL. I think on the edge he has the physical gifts to excel though. I don't think he's in a position to ask for a lot of money, so at a reasonable price he may be worth a shot, especially if they structure his contract so that he can be released during camp/preseason with little to no cap ramifications should he not pan out.

They tried that before, didn't really work out well. While a physical freak, Gholston is not that good of a football player. I would not want to waste time on him.

Jenkins would't be bad, but he is breaking down (injurys last two years) so he would be more of a temp solution.

I would like to see a younger OL drafted/signed before going after Woody. Same as Jenkins solid, but is older with injurys.

I would like to see a younger OL drafted/signed before going after Woody. Same as Jenkins solid, but is older with injurys.

Have to agree w/ this sentiment, I'd rather see young talent working up to speed, even if it means admitting we are still in rehab from the past, than just more stopgapping that delays genuine improvement.

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Gholston if he comes cheap.

But another thought, the cowboys and bears cut people that could be of some interest as well.

DE Marcus Spears (3-4 DE, 27 years old)

and

DT Tommie Harris (also 27 years old) would Harris fit into the 3-4 scheme as a DE maybe?

These two guys I think have had more production/upside than Gholston, but may be more expensive? What does everyone think about them?

Out of all these guys, I would only really give Jenkins a look and thats only if he comes cheap. Woody is old and coming off of an achilles injury (not a good combo). Gholston couldn't play in the Jets 3-4 so what makes us think he could play in ours? And Taylor...well lets not go there LOL.

Totally agree with this. He is built more for the 3-4 OLB, he's pretty much the same size as L.Woodley.

This dude is a physical freak, and will get one more chance in the NFL. I agree with the Rex Ryan coaching take, how could he not get going under him? A change of scenery is the last straw for Gholston.

I would take a flyer on him, there's got to be some potential and motivation.

Archived