Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers and the Transition TAg

Gator Bait

I am just speculating here, but based on what contact/knowledge I have had with college or pro coaching staff, one thing that can really affect their opinions of a player's overall worth (especially when there's any level of ambivalence) is how often that player gets a chance to make a potentially game changing play and what that player does with such opportunities.

Shanahan being who he is, I would hardly be surprised if he feels that despite Carlos' admittedly good cover skills and tough play (well worth valuing) StoneHands has just muffed way too many opportunities to help his team out in big fashion with many dropped balls in important games.

While it may be debatable to make a major judgement heavily influenced by that one factor (since he is pretty good else-wise), if it is added to Carlos wanting big money and any other behavioral/attitude shortcomings that may exist, then that consistent weakness can play even larger in making a final decision on to keep him or say buh-bye..

I am not a huge fan of Los... I use to be but he always just under performs.... its much better corners on the market like Joseph and Namndi

In my ideal world, we don't re-sign Carlos, or sign either of those guys. We just can't afford to, with Hall on the books and Landry in line for a big $ deal. Add in OJ Atogwe, and its not happening. Can't invest anywhere near that much in the back four, when the front 7 is the important part of this defense.

Losing Carlos Rogers thru free agency may not be the worst thing if he is considered to be a Type A free agent. Then, the Skins would receive a compensatory pick in the NFL draft which may be what they're looking for. If they have someone else to plug in (Barnes?) or if they have their sights set on someone else, then maybe the pick and saving the big bucks to retain him is a more attractive option than re-signing him?

This Carlos topic already has a thread but I will just say that Carlos himself is the biggest obstacle. He is in his own way and thinks he deserves to get paid as a top corner. He flat out doesn't and he will see how he is valued in free agency and come back on his knees.

I agree 100% that Carlos feels he is a top notch CB in this league. I do however feel another team will pay him and he won't come crawling back. That being said I can't stand his drops, but feel his coverage skills are very good.

Losing Carlos Rogers thru free agency may not be the worst thing if he is considered to be a Type A free agent. Then, the Skins would receive a compensatory pick in the NFL draft which may be what they're looking for. If they have someone else to plug in (Barnes?) or if they have their sights set on someone else, then maybe the pick and saving the big bucks to retain him is a more attractive option than re-signing him?

Do you have to have tried to negotiate a contract or actually have a contract offered to get a compensatory pick? I wondered not just for 'Los but also Jammal Brown. Both would seem to me to yield higher than normal picks if they walk.

I agree 100% that Carlos feels he is a top notch CB in this league. I do however feel another team will pay him and he won't come crawling back. That being said I can't stand his drops, but feel his coverage skills are very good.

Reminds me of when Fred Smoot left. Ya he'll be missed but he is not worth the big money he thinks he is

CB is probably the easiest position to grab in the draft. Whats to say we cant find a 5th round pick to replace Los unexpectedly

you want to risk a 5th round draft pick and just HOPE he pans out.....man that is set up for disaster....I mean Hall is a ballhawk but he isn't a shut down corner....a lot of Carlos' play helped Hall look like a lot better corner....I love me some Hall for sure and glad we have him, but we need another great corner opposite of him (not Rogers though)....I would hope we get a free agent (Joseph)

you want to risk a 5th round draft pick and just HOPE he pans out.....man that is set up for disaster....I mean Hall is a ballhawk but he isn't a shut down corner....a lot of Carlos' play helped Hall look like a lot better corner....I love me some Hall for sure and glad we have him, but we need another great corner opposite of him (not Rogers though)....I would hope we get a free agent (Joseph)

Yeah, all of Carlos' missed games this season were what sent DHall to the probowl :doh:

And no, we don't NEED another great CB. In fact, I'd argue that that is very fiscally irresponsible. Its the front 7 we need to invest in. They make any secondary look elite. Look at defenses like the Steelers' and Ravens'. Now look at their CB's. Yeah. Its all the front 7. That's what we need to invest in, not our secondary.

And no, we don't NEED another great CB. In fact, I'd argue that that is very fiscally irresponsible. Its the front 7 we need to invest in. They make any secondary look elite. Look at defenses like the Steelers' and Ravens'. Now look at their CB's. Yeah. Its all the front 7. That's what we need to invest in, not our secondary.

This right here ConnSKINS. Front 7 in the 3-4. I think Barnes is good enough to take over the #2.

Yeah, all of Carlos' missed games this season were what sent DHall to the probowl :doh:

I don't agree with this.....Hall had his 4 int game with carlos opposite of him....he had his return for td fumble return with Rogers on the field. I am not saying that the games Hall was without Rogers he didn't play well..

i dont want any free agent top flight CBs. we dont need more money on the secondary. teams play 3-4 Wrs now. its better to have more than 2 top corners. we got barnes buchanon. lets fix the front 7 first

I would not be surprised to see the Skins use a RFA tender on 'Los again, just to try and get something for him.

http://twitter.com/adamschefter

One agent's response to fact that teams will be using restricted free agent tenders: "The boxing gloves are on."

RFA tenders attempt to restrict some players' ability to move teams even if contract is up. Question is whether next CBA will allow this.

Get ready for all teams to use RFA tenders as weapons. @daringantt reports Panthers will place tenders on DeAngelo Williams, Charles Johnson

I would love to bring this thread back if we let Los walk and Barnes is our #2 this season. I don't think Carlos should get a huge payday but you cant deny his cover skills. Hes the only thing we have that can come close to shutting down a big WR. Ideally he will get his head on straight and take less money or the FO will find someone who can cover in FA for less money and replace him.

Archived