Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Baghdad wants U.S. to pay $1 billion for damage to city

SnyderShrugged

Give them the money. Maybe we can find some rich celebrities to help out and increase it too.

Although we should be careful who we give the money to, considering Iraq is having some serious unrest right now too.

We don't want to end up making our selves look even worse to the people there, when they're already pissed off.

Let me make sure I understand this.

Refusing to physically invade and occupy Iraq on a flimsy lie-based premise would have been "isolationism."

Having only one land war in Asia, instead of two simultaneous land wars in Asia, would have been "isolationism."

That's some white-hot blazing intellect right there.

wallace-shawn-vizzini.jpg?w=500

I have never understood this rationale....I mean after WWII we had to help rebuild some of Europe and Japan...in my opinion when you are in a war and you **** a country up and win the war....why do you have to repay for the damage you caused when you win the war....I mean are we going to send a bill to the ****ing taliban asking for repayment for their attacks on us?....I mean this is asinine. I know Iraq didn't was unrelated to taliban, but it is just a point.

I have never understood this rationale....I mean after WWII we had to help rebuild some of Europe and Japan...in my opinion when you are in a war and you **** a country up and win the war....why do you have to repay for the damage you caused when you win the war....I mean are we going to send a bill to the ****ing taliban asking for repayment for their attacks on us?....I mean this is asinine. I know Iraq didn't was unrelated to taliban, but it is just a point.

Because we're America and not the freaking Roman Empire?

They helped rebuild after WWII because of the result NOT helping to rebuild had after WWI. Germany was in ruins, their money was more useful as firewood, no help from anyone, Hitler steps up painting Germany as the victim, nationalism rises, you know the rest of the story.

Given that we entered this Iraq war based on a lie, and were warned by other countries about the BS, I believe we do owe it to the Iraq citizens to help them rebuild.

I don't think Iraq is necessarily a corollary to the example I'm about to site, but to those who wonder why a victor would help rebuild a defeated foe, you need look no further than Germany post WWI. The victors imposed reparations on Germany and humiliated the Germans so badly that it caused famine, an economic depression, and bred the likes of Adolf Hitler. We learned from that experience, and after WWII allowed (for example) Japanese Emperor Hirohito to stay in his ceremonial position so that the Japanese people wouldn't feel humiliated. We rebuilt their economy. We gave them baseball. Now look at them - they are a great ally of ours. Granted there are cultural differences that made this possible, but to say "**** the defeated" is short sighted and ignorant of history.

I don't think it necessarily applies here though. :)

Immediately cease all US funds flowing into that city (including training and construction), remove all troops (if any), the option of military support remaining for that city, and then pay them the billion and attach a post-it note to the check reading: "my bad"

We'd probably end up saving money.

Immediately cease all US funds flowing into that city (including training and construction), remove all troops (if any), the option of military support remaining for that city, and then pay them the billion and attach a post-it note to the check reading: "my bad"

We'd probably end up saving money.

agreed.

Archived