Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Baghdad wants U.S. to pay $1 billion for damage to city

SnyderShrugged

So not only are we spending Trillions to "train" and just hang out in the country that we supposedly "have pulled out of", now they want us to pay them for damage done while helping them with security?

Oh, and they demand an apology too?

Non intervention sure seems like the wiser course now, doesnt it?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/17/us-iraq-usa-damages-idUSTRE71G2T820110217

(Reuters) - Iraq's capital wants the United States to apologize and pay $1 billion for the damage done to the city not by bombs but by blast walls and Humvees since the U.S.-led invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein.

The city's government issued its demands in a statement on Wednesday that said Baghdad's infrastructure and aesthetics have been seriously damaged by the American military.

"The U.S. forces changed this beautiful city to a camp in an ugly and destructive way, which reflected deliberate ignorance and carelessness about the simplest forms of public taste," the statement said.

"Due to the huge damage, leading to a loss the Baghdad municipality cannot afford...we demand the American side apologize to Baghdad's people and pay back these expenses."

more at link

Good luck with that... Didn't we already commit tens of billions to rebuilding Iraq on top of the hundreds of billions we spent annually to occupy her? Part of the three trillion dollars the war will cost us taxpayers when all is said and done.

---------- Post added February-17th-2011 at 11:24 AM ----------

Probably not with the Nobel Peace winning President in office we wont

:doh: Bush commited more than $30 billion 2005....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/sep/25/iraq.usa

Sure that makes sense. If you invaded my country, killed a crap load of my citizens, and over threw my government I would expect at the very least a reach around to make the whole thing worth it for me. They get screwed with no Vaseline and led to believe like everyone else that this crap would stop when we threw W out but we are still occupying that nation. Since we have a government that no matter who's in charge we think this sort of barbaric behavior is acceptable it wouldn't surprise me if we find out that we rape the Iraqi people's land and pay them this money in there own oil. If I were doing this that's what I'd do. You already trampled all over these people and given a group known for still being slightly pissed about **** that happened more then 500 years ago more ammunition to hate you. Why not add more fuel to the fire and save our economy in the process? But then again if I had any say in the matter we never would have gone in there in the first place.

---------- Post added February-17th-2011 at 10:29 AM ----------

And people in Dallas want ice water.

Hey when it's 80 degrees in Feb we need it ;)

Good luck with that... Didn't we already commit tens of billions to rebuilding Iraq on top of the hundreds of billions we spent annually to occupy her? Part of the three trillion dollars the war will cost us taxpayers when all is said and done.

---------- Post added February-17th-2011 at 11:24 AM ----------

:doh: Bush commited more than $30 billion 2005....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/sep/25/iraq.usa

I'm not sure why you posted the Bush 30 billion article? How am I supposed to view it as a response to my post that you quoted? what were you saying there?

Yes. But Baghdad asking for $1B in aesthetic improvements is less than 1/1000 of the reason why.

oh sure, its one of many reasons. many, many reasons

---------- Post added February-17th-2011 at 11:40 AM ----------

Yeah, typical response from this crowd. Only look at one side of an issue. Never the consequences of action or inaction.

Isolationism RULES! :rolleyes:

LOL at the irony of a "typical response"...

Yeah, typical response from this crowd. Only look at one side of an issue. Never the consequences of action or inaction.

Isolationism RULES! :rolleyes:

Let me make sure I understand this.

Refusing to physically invade and occupy Iraq on a flimsy lie-based premise would have been "isolationism."

Having only one land war in Asia, instead of two simultaneous land wars in Asia, would have been "isolationism."

That's some white-hot blazing intellect right there.

Let me make sure I understand this.

Refusing to physically invade and occupy Iraq on a flimsy lie-based premise would have been "isolationism."

Having only one land war in Asia, instead of two simultaneous land wars in Asia, would have been "isolationism."

That's some white-hot blazing intellect right there.

sounds like you understand his rationale perfectly!!

Surprise! To Mr. Cheney and Mr. Rumsfeld and Mr. Wolfowitz and Mr. Feith and Mr. Perle and Mr. Abrams and the rest of you PNAC clowns.

When you unilaterally invade a country, bomb the crap out of it and your actions lead to the death of over a hundred thousand civilians, the locals rarely come out of the experience with an overwhelming sense of gratitude toward you, even if you THINK that they should because you removed their dictator. Human nature tells us that people resent foreign occupations and they resent having their relatives die and they resent having their houses flattened and no matter what you say, they aren't going to love you after that happens.

This stinking endless quagmire is your fault, you short sighted buffoons.

Surprise! To Mr. Cheney and Mr. Rumsfeld and Mr. Wolfowitz and Mr. Feith and Mr. Perle and Mr. Abrams and the rest of you PNAC clowns.

When you unilaterally invade a country, bomb the crap out of it and your actions lead to the death of over a hundred thousand civilians, the locals rarely come out of the experience with an overwhelming sense of gratitude toward you, even if you THINK that they should because you removed their dictator. Human nature tells us that people resent foreign occupations and they resent having their relatives die and they resent having their houses flattened and no matter what you say, they aren't going to love you after that happens.

This stinking endless quagmire is your fault, you short sighted buffoons.

I'm extremely embarrassed to say that I was also one of those buffoons. My only saving grace is that now at least I can be considered one of those wackjob "isolationists who only see one side of the issue".;)

Archived