Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Cam Newton

darrelgreenie

addicted-

why even bother quoting my posts? you never actually respond to anything within my quote you could just as easily rant on against Cam without it

I was responding to your whole banning statement. Its obvious that you were speaking about me there since you said those who with differing opinions or as you so called them "false statements". and as far as it goes you never answer a thing about what I say why in the hell should I waste my time with responding to you?

---------- Post added February-28th-2011 at 10:13 AM ----------

I wouldn't say it's "obvious" he meant they are an inferior talent. I took it to mean that he was just saying they weren't as quick, or their breaks took a little longer to complete.

My point being that Florio took the comments the same way I did and he's a Cam supporter. I was trying to point out that people would read that and take it for another meaning. Like most things Newton you either have to disregard things about him or do your due dillegence on them and if so how can you come away with anything but puzzeled?

We're not arguing that he be judged any different, he's the only one who was questioned about it. They didn't ask Locker, Ponder, Gabbert, Mallet, et al about their performances. Everything Cam does gets put under the microscope, and he had a bad day, sure. He was asked why and he gave a reason, and a legitimate one at that...he's not used to the other reciever's timing, and that got to him. Being a tenth of a second off on routes like that make a good throw into a bad throw, and Cam even owned up to that.

I really disagree with this.

It may not be you that's giving Cam a pass but the world is. And at the same time they are holding others down and forgiving Cam for the same things.

For example

Gabbarts the only guy who seems to be unfazed right now by all of the outside crap. But others...

Mallets stocks plummeted because of his past. Cam's got a pass on his

Lockers stocks plummeted because of his crappy play. Cam's got a pass on his

I don't think anyone's holding Cam to the same standards as these guys are and that's wrong to me.

He said he needed to improve his focus and get better on the timing aspect. He owned up to that he didn't perform as well as he could. That being said, his performance is more under the microscope than any other quarterback, and any time he doesn't perform up to the standards that everyone else put in front of him, they're going to dissect it and have a field day with it.

And that's a problem? Cam brings the most criminal history, the biggest family baggage, the least amount of football expirence, talks like he's some rock star, and yet is expected to go much higher in the draft them other QB's. If you think that its wrong to expect more from the guy who's picked first I disagree. The higher the pick the more risk the team that takes him has. He should be held to higher standards if he thinks he is the best QB in the class. The problem is the things like the fact he couldn't throw a 10 yard pass yesterday to save his life aren't hurting him like that would hurt another player. He's getting the Kings treatment but doesn't deserve it.

I'm not really a fan of Cam by any means, but let's be realistic here. Just because everyone put him on a pedestal before the Combine doesn't mean that he deserves to be destroyed when he doesn't live up to the hype.

To me he does so that we don't make the mistake and buy into the hype around him and ruin the next few years because we were so stupid to draft him. If the thread was only for Cam followers then it should be renamed. I am just speaking on my feelings about this guy and none of them are good. And now it seems as if some are seeing what I am and that makes me happy.

I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about Cam. No chance he goes #1 now.

The kid seems like a good kid, but not for the Redskins like some of his ardent fans in here would love to claim.......2nd or 3rd round.....I will take him in a heartbeat, good developmental project, but never 1st round with better, more polished talent on the table

im not a Cam supporter, at all

but i have to have his back on this one, i was sitting right there when this statement was made and he threw no one under the bus and made no excuses for his play, in fact he said he was disappointed in himself. the interviewer lead with his question about all the different WRs out there, and he just followed by saying yes, there are WRs from all diff conferences and named the conferences.

anyone saying differently has an agenda against Cam...

but i have to have his back on this one, i was sitting right there when this statement was made and he threw no one under the bus and made no excuses for his play, in fact he said he was disappointed in himself. the interviewer lead with his question about all the difference WRs out there, and he just followed by saying yes, there are WRs from all diff conferences and named the conferences.

Can we please stop with the "agenda" bull**** please.....just because some one is more critical of Newton doesn't mean they have a bloody "agenda". Come on people, just say you don't agree, cut that agenda BS out.

but i have to have his back on this one, i was sitting right there when this statement was made and he threw no one under the bus and made no excuses for his play, in fact he said he was disappointed in himself. the interviewer lead with his question about all the different WRs out there, and he just followed by saying yes, there are WRs from all diff conferences and named the conferences.

But what he doesn't get is that it didn't matter if he went 0-12. He was being evaluated for how quick he dropped back and released. His drop backs looked slow (but have to remember that he is bigger and his slow drop could be as quick as others with smaller strides) had a noticeable slow hitch and wasn't getting the ball to the spot. That's all he had to do was drop back quickly and toss to a spot, not aim to the receiver.

He acts like completing the passes were the biggest issue. No. His slow drop back hitch and inaccuracy was the issues. Then to say this? Say anything at all other than I am improving. His act this weekend killed me. And the fact that he didn't shock and awe was all I needed to see.

But what he doesn't get is that it didn't matter if he went 0-12. He was being evaluated for how quick he dropped back and released. His drop backs looked slow (but have to remember that he is bigger and his slow drop could be as quick as others with smaller strides) had a noticeable slow hitch and wasn't getting the ball to the spot. That's all he had to do was drop back quickly and toss to a spot, not aim to the receiver.

He acts like completing the passes were the biggest issue. No. His slow drop back hitch and inaccuracy was the issues. Then to say this? Say anything at all other than I am improving. His act this weekend killed me. And the fact that he didn't shock and awe was all I needed to see.

i agree with this...completely. i just dont agree that he was making excuses or trying to say other conferences are inferior to his.

---------- Post added February-28th-2011 at 10:41 AM ----------

Can we please stop with the "agenda" bull**** please.....just because some one is more critical of Newton doesn't mean they have a bloody "agenda". Come on people, just say you don't agree, cut that agenda BS out.

OK, i will change it to: "Hates Cam and reads to much into everything he says, and throws a negative spin on it whenever possible"

After watching his combine workout and press conference this weekend, I don't want Cam Newton. He's an intriguing prospect but not someone the Redskins should spend a pick on. We have a lot of holes with not many draft picks. We can't afford to swing-n-miss in this draft.....certainly not with our top 2 picks.

Thanks. I'm sure that since I've been vocal about my wishing strongly that he not become a Redskins that some out there think I have a Newton agenda. That's a problem with this guy. To the supporters of him thinking he should go top10 if you speak against this guy your labeled. But after I read things like this:

http://www.csnwashington.com/02/27/11/Ponder-outshines-Newton-in-QB-workouts/landing.html?blockID=429004&feedID=272

Where no one likes Ponder but I see him outplaying by a very wide margin Newton. Yet instead of discussing him being outplayed by a 4th round QB or discussing his footwork issues some of you would rather discuss how you think there is agenda at play. The agenda at work here in full effect is how with Newton no one wants to discuss anything negative about him.

Rename this thread the Cult of Cam

Thanks. I'm sure that since I've been vocal about my wishing strongly that he not become a Redskins that some out there think I have a Newton agenda. That's a problem with this guy. To the supporters of him thinking he should go top10 if you speak against this guy your labeled. But after I read things like this:

http://www.csnwashington.com/02/27/11/Ponder-outshines-Newton-in-QB-workouts/landing.html?blockID=429004&feedID=272

Where no one likes Ponder but I see him outplaying by a very wide margin Newton. Yet instead of discussing him being outplayed by a 4th round QB or discussing his footwork issues some of you would rather discuss how you think there is agenda at play. The agenda at work here in full effect is how with Newton no one wants to discuss anything negative about him.

Rename this thread the Cult of Cam

i think he got outplayed by most of the QBs...i thought Colin Kaepernick looked really good out there.

OK, i will change it to: "Hates Cam and reads to much into everything he says, and throws a negative spin on it whenever possible"

Perfect example of what I mean. Thanks

---------- Post added February-28th-2011 at 11:09 AM ----------

i think he got outplayed by most of the QBs...i thought Colin Kaepernick looked really good out there.

So why does everyone still think this would be a great pick for us at 10?

Perfect example of what I mean. Thanks

---------- Post added February-28th-2011 at 11:09 AM ----------

So why does everyone still think this would be a great pick for us at 10?

I am not a Cam Newton supporter and DO NOT want him on the Skins.

I just dont agree with everything thats being said about him, and just because I dont want the guy on my team or even think he is the best prospect or even top 5, doesnt mean i wont speak up when i think people are saying things that i dont find to be true.

hmmmm, i have no clue on that one.

maybe they want an ICON and an ENTERTAINER ;)

I just dont agree with everything thats being said about him, and just because I dont want the guy on my team or even think he is the best prospect or even top 5, doesnt mean i wont speak up when i think people are saying things that i dont find to be true.

That bolded part is stronger then anything I've actually said about him. This whole time I've been saying that he is a project and not someone that can come right in and play. I've said that I thought he wasn't worth our #10 pick and that if I were given the chance would never pick him there. At the same time I've said that as athletes go he would be a nice pick with our 2nd rounder. Newtons not garbage but my problem is why anyone would think he is worth a top 10 pick...he's got so many issues about him including on the field and off it. Yet there are lots of people here thinking he would be perfect for us at 10, he's guarenteed to go to Buffalo at 3, I mean seriously why not review this guy from the entire picture?

Good one :)

I agree with this. As has been very evident in this thread I am not a Cam Newton guy. I just don't think he'll be that good in the NFL. Now that being said I saw the interview where he commented about the receivers and I didn't get the feeling he was trying to throw anybody under the bus. I took it to mean that he just wasn't familiar with them. It seemed like a light-hearted comment to me. In fact, the interview he did made me like him more. I still don't want the Skins to draft him with the #10 pick but he gave me a much more positive impression than I was expecting.

The reason I didn't like his comment about the receivers wasn't because I felt he was throwing them under the bus, but that every other qb threw to the same unfamiliar people and looked much better than him. It'd be one thing if a lot of other people struggled to hit the receivers, but he was the one that stuck out the most in that regard.

Mallets stocks plummeted because of his past. Cam's got a pass on his

Lockers stocks plummeted because of his crappy play. Cam's got a pass on his

I don't think anyone's holding Cam to the same standards as these guys are and that's wrong to me.

And that's a problem? Cam brings the most criminal history, the biggest family baggage, the least amount of football expirence, talks like he's some rock star, and yet is expected to go much higher in the draft them other QB's.

The reason Cam's stock didn't plummet at the combine because of his past is due to the way he answered the questions. There's nothing more a person can say except I made a mistake, I learned from it and I wouldn't do it again. I don't care if that answer didn't satisfy you. It obviously satisfied most of the media.

Mallet refused to comment on the public intoxication arrest and drug rumors getting very indignant about even being asked. As one reporter wrote:

"Arkansas’ Ryan Mallett dodged questions like they were hard-charging defensive linemen, acting smug and ****y in the face of the media firing squad. The situation grew testy late in the news conference. One reporter told Mallett if he didn’t address the concerns, they wouldn’t go away. Mallett stared him down and walked off the podium."

How does Cam have the most criminal history. He was arrested once for possesion of a stolen laptop. The charges were dropped. Mallet was arrested for public intoxication and pled guilty to a lesser charge.

If anyone got a free pass it was Gabbert. He should have been arrested for the parking lot brawl that left his brother with a broken nose. The police said it was obvious that the participants had been drinking and Gabbert was underaged at the time.

The reason I didn't like his comment about the receivers wasn't because I felt he was throwing them under the bus, but that every other qb threw to the same unfamiliar people and looked much better than him. It'd be one thing if a lot of other people struggled to hit the receivers, but he was the one that stuck out the most in that regard.

Exactly what I was saying...everyone threw to the same people yet he was the worst one throwing that day. The point of that drill was to see him put the football at an exact spot on the field. Not to see if he could make the throws...the catch was secondary and not important. However when your to throw the ball 10 yards to the outside and you instead throw it 10 yards over the head of the point you were supposed to hit how can that be on anyone but the QB himself? No he mentioned the people catching the ball and that was wrong to do imo

---------- Post added February-28th-2011 at 03:14 PM ----------

The reason Cam's stock didn't plummet at the combine because of his past is due to the way he answered the questions. There's nothing more a person can say except I made a mistake, I learned from it and I wouldn't do it again. I don't care if that answer didn't satisfy you. It obviously satisfied most of the media.

Nope answers are just words without actions. And Cam's past leaves much to be desired. If I am to give a damn about Mallets past then I'm going to give a damn about Cam's past too. And to take someone as high as Cam's expected to go you have to trust the guy. I bet when he was a Freshman and got caught for cheating he said "Im sorry I'll never do it again" too. See what I mean about words?

---------- Post added February-28th-2011 at 03:19 PM ----------

How does Cam have the most criminal history. He was arrested once for possesion of a stolen laptop. The charges were dropped. Mallet was arrested for public intoxication and pled guilty to a lesser charge.

I don't mean criminal as in charges filed etc. I mean the amount of dumb stupid illegal things that get you in trouble. Cam was caught cheating like 3 times, buying a stolen laptop, father caught trying to extort money for his son to play at MS...none of this **** actually means jack crap anymore. The point is that you have to trust your QB to do the right thing. He didn't do the right things when he was poor, why would he do them with money? I'm speaking about trusting this guys going to show up every day, work the hardest, not take shortcuts, not leave your team after a couple of years looking for a huge payday...I can't trust someone like that.

I am surprised this has not been posted yet:

http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/27698893?source=rss_blogs_NFL%20Draft

Cam Newton "struggled" in some team interviews

Posted on: February 28, 2011 6:44 pm

Cam Newton's struggles in the throwing session at the Combine Sunday has already been well documented. His strategy of reading a prepared statement and refusing to acknowledge the extent of the "mistakes" he made earlier in his career while at Florida has been hotly contested.

Even more of a concern, however, is that the reigning Heisman winner is also struggling answering football questions during team interviews at the Combine.

NFLDraftScout.com has learned that at least two teams gave Newton poor grades for his "football character" following interviewing him at the Combine. Newton, according to league sources, had a difficult time drawing up plays and how to react to different defensive schemes when asked to work on the white board.

There is no denying Newton's potential, but his success in spread option offense much simpler than anything he'll see in the NFL continues to be his greatest challenge. Not all teams are convinced he has the ability to make the adjustment to the complex defensive schemes he'll see at the pro level.

I have said a couple of times that along with the background checks how Newton performs when asked to discuss the X's and O's will be important. Its all rumours and there is a lot of disinformation at this time of year but if it's true he is having trouble at the whiteboard or breaking down film that's a huge red flag to me.

I have said a couple of times that along with the background checks how Newton performs when asked to discuss the X's and O's will be important. Its all rumours and there is a lot of disinformation at this time of year but if it's true he is having trouble at the whiteboard or breaking down film that's a huge red flag to me.

Report: Teams wary of QB Newton's football IQ

CBS Sports' Rob Rang reports that Auburn QB Cam Newton drew poor grades for "football character" from at least two teams during interviews at the Scouting Combine.

He reportedly "struggled answering football questions," and "had a difficult time drawing up plays ... on the white board." Newton doesn't come off as lacking in smarts, and it's not surprising that he might struggle with pro concepts after playing in Auburn's option offense. Details are murky, but it's possible this is a rumor spread by NFL teams to sabotage Newton's stock.

Source: CBS Sports

Feb 28, 8:02 PM

He's not there when the Bengals pick. Might not be there when the Broncos pick.

Was it posted in this thread that an Alabama radio show host claims he has evidence Cam was in the room when his father was doing the Play for Pay with Miss St? Shocker. :doh: Of course he was. I still say the relationship between Cecil and Miss State made that convo happen. No reason to think Tennessee and Auburn were asked the same. I mean, Miss State or Auburn/Tennessee? I'd ask Miss State to pay me too.

Was it posted in this thread tha an Alabama radio show host claims he has evidence Cam was in the room when his father was doing the Play for Pay with Miss St? Shocker. :doh: Of course he was. I still say the relationship between Cecil and Miss State made that convo happen. No reason to think Tennessee and Auburn were asked the same. I mean, Miss State or Auburn/Tennessee? I'd ask Miss State to pay me too.

I agree. I'll believe it when I hear it. I have no doubt that no one will take the time to listen to this but I'm including the link to show I can back up what I'm posting.

http://tupelosports.podbean.com/2010/11/11/kenny-rogers-with-ian-fitzimmons/

Twice during this interview Rogers says the people in the room with him were Cecil Newton and two MSU coaches. Around the 9:00 minute Rogers says "I did not talk to Cam". So Cam's voice is supposedly on the tape yet Rogers didn't see him in the room or talk to him. Rogers is also asked during the interview if Cam knew about the pay for play. Rogers answered that he didn't know if Cam knew about it or not. Well, if Cam was supposedly in the room wouldn't it be obvious to Rogers that he was aware of money being discussed.

The radio show host is a huge University of Alabama fan who is trying to get a new radio show going in Huntsville. He is a proven liar. In 06 he claimed he had listened to tapes implicating Auburn and the tapes never materialized.

He publically claimed in a bio that he was the "Host of Southern Sports Tonight" and had syndicated "his" radio show to "144 outlets." The owner of the network, Scott McKinley, showed him for the liar he is: Feb. 6, 2008. "Scott Moore has never been the "host" of MY show, Southern Sports Tonight. He has served as a co-host from time and time. Also, where he came up with 144 stations is beyond me. I own the network and this information is not correct."

Moore didn't say he has the tapes. Just that he heard tapes that are in the possession of two MSU boosters. If the tapes exist then why didn't Bond and Bell turn them over to the NCAA when they were questioned last November. They are in a heap of trouble if they withheld evidence. Moore said Bond would appear on his last two radio shows but Bond has been a no show. Moore claimed today that the tapes are being examined for authenticity.

I won't even go into Moore criminal record, but without proof I'm not about to believe anyone who beats his wife, breaks her nose and does jail time for failure to pay child support.

If the evidence is out there, people need to come up with it or shut up about it. This has been going on for 4 months. Next, I expect Scott Moore to say he has been advised by his lawyer not to play the tapes. He'll still be a hero to the Bama nation for keeping the rumors going and his ratings will climb.

Adam McCloskey, Sports Talk Radio host at WTKE-FM, just tweeted: :The Scott Moore who allegedly has the Cam Newton Tapes is a huckster and liar. Also, former co-host of mine. So Trust me on this."

Archived