Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Hire Offensive Line Coach to be D-Coordinator

Cambl2Moss

Did not see this posted. Wow! Great news for us and the rest of the NFC East! What a surprising move...Andy Reid is losing his mind. :ols:

Philadelphia found their next defensive coordinator in a surprising place: Their offensive coaching staff.

Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports Juan Castillo will be moved from offensive line coach to defensive coordinator. Long-time Colts offensive line coach Howard Mudd will take over the offensive line duties.

Mike Nolan once made a similar move from receivers coach to defensive coordinator in Baltimore. Bill Belichick was an offensive coach early in his career. With that said, there are few examples of coaches in this day of specialization making this kind of jump. Castillo hasn’t coached defense since he was at a Texas high school in 1989.

It’s a bold and possible defining move at a tenuous time in Andy Reid’s tenure in Philadelphia. There will be a ridiculous amount of pressure on Castillo, but the decision is so out-of-the-box that we are want to give it a chance.

UPDATE: The Eagles have confirmed the move.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/02/eagles-surprise-juan-castillo-will-be-their-defensive-coordinator/

Hasn't coached defense since 1989 (22 years ago).... For a High School???

This is awesome. I would of said there is nobody worse than Sean Mcdermott, but this is just priceless. Reid is either going to look like a genius (if this guy fields even a top 16 D) or like the biggest buffoon out there (if the D remains the same or somehow gets worse).

I was so baffled I had to log in to see what people were saying. Obviously this hasn't caught too much traction yet here but... haha.

I laughed so hard when I read the headlines I was almost in tears. Are they serious with this move? What a joke.

I hope they move the team from Philadelphia so I can choose a new one. God I hate this ****ing team.

Reeks of the Eagles trying to save money and hedge their bets for a lockout.

well, I don't know about that, but it's good for a laugh.

Thing is Castillo is a great coach, and I know he used to be involved when JJ ran the defense, because he would bounce blitz ideas off Castillo and make sure they were disguised well. I'm sure he will eventually be OK, but there has got to be a big learning curve. It's just a bit of a laugher because this basically never happens.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 06:50 PM ----------

WH Del I friggin love that sig. Check out Desean after McNabb starts the air guitar. He sneaks a peak over at Vick like, "what?" and Vick is just hanging his head the whole time.

And the Westy we all know and love is back...the one that jumps off the "bandwagon" the second things look bad. :ols:

We had to endure a QB coach as our HEAD COACH....I'm sure you can handle your OL coach as the DC for a year until it fails.

And the Westy we all know and love is back...the one that jumps off the "bandwagon" the second things look bad. :ols:

We had to endure a QB coach as our HEAD COACH....I'm sure you can handle your OL coach as the DC for a year until it fails.

I'm not Westy. I always hate the team. I've hated them since I was 6.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 07:05 PM ----------

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 06:50 PM ----------

[/color]WH Del I friggin love that sig. Check out Desean after McNabb starts the air guitar. He sneaks a peak over at Vick like, "what?" and Vick is just hanging his head the whole time.

McNabb the Clown. They look so embarrassed.

I'm not Westy. I always hate the team. I've hated them since I was 6.

My bad, should have double checked. The tone just screamed Westy to me.

Why do you continue to be a fan, if you've hated them since your memories of football started?

I think that no matter who was the D coordinator there last year, they were going to struggle. Their D line is small and he just didnt have much to work with. So why not give McD extra time and add some new players via draft and FA? It couldnt be much worse than what they are going to go through next year

This could potentially be a good move. Only the Eagles really know about this guy since he is already on the coaching staff so maybe Andy Reid know something about him other people don't. Or he can be someone that holds the fort until a bigger, better name become available. Don't even have to be a big name, probably waiting for someone specifically to come available. Maybe Jeff Fisher said he wouldn't mind coaching the Eagles defense, but asked to sit out for one year at least...

he's an offensive line coach, which means he's had to study opposing defenses every game in order to coach his line to play well against those defenses. Maybe he knows a lot more about defense than we give credit...or maybe not.

Well, the past two years, the Eagles gave up 38 (21st in the NFL) and 49 (29th in NFL) sacks. So all that studying was pretty much moot.

Confusing move but I generally give Andy the benefit of the doubt when he makes unusual moves.

This reeks of every other curious move the Eagles have made in the last few years. Eagles make move, thread pops up saying that the Eagles are going to be terrible.

-Eagles trade McNabb

-Eagles sign Vick

-Eagles say Vick is the starter over Kolb

Then, the Eagles are actually good and the move turns out to be correct and the Skins fans never go back and say they were silly for the previous thread. The argument changes to "Well, they never won a Superbowl"....

So, I don't think this move will be a disaster but they probably won't win a SB next year. All bases are covered now.

Well, the past two years, the Eagles gave up 38 (21st in the NFL) and 49 (29th in NFL) sacks. So all that studying was pretty much moot.

You're saying they finished in those positions because of Juan Castillo? You don't think # of pass plays, who is playing QB, etc. might be variables that would affect those numbers? Castillo has a very good reputation as an OL coach.

Still, from the outside, this move makes no sense to me. I could see a move to a position coach on the defensive side of the ball, but it seems like an incredible leap to go from OL coach to DC. Hopefully I'm wrong. This also could be the beginning of the end for Reid if it blows up in his face.

---------- Post added February-3rd-2011 at 07:36 AM ----------

Maybe. But I'm sure they had to pay good money for Washburn and even better money to get Mudd to come out of retirement.

---------- Post added February-3rd-2011 at 07:39 AM ----------

Reid is either going to look like a genius (if this guy fields even a top 16 D) or like the biggest buffoon out there (if the D remains the same or somehow gets worse).

This is definitely true. Reid's contract is up at end of 2013 I believe, so he has to win by then, IMO.

My first thought too especially since they have brought in numerous outside candidates and had other defensive coaches like Dick Jauron on their own staff.
This reeks of every other curious move the Eagles have made in the last few years. Eagles make move, thread pops up saying that the Eagles are going to be terrible.

-Eagles trade McNabb

-Eagles sign Vick

Then, the Eagles are actually good and the move turns out to be correct and the Skins fans never go back and say they were silly for the previous thread. The argument changes to "Well, they never won a Superbowl"....

So odd on a Redskin site.

Eagle fans I know hated the McNabb trade.

Signing Vick was controversial for reasons outside of football.

AR flip flopping his decision making was crazy.

All three were discussed and often ridiculed throughout the media.

Certain overzealous Eagle fans have posted crazy pro Eagle propaganda about later failed free agents, draft picks, etc.....The Beast was my favorite of the many man crushes.

Confusing move but I generally give Andy the benefit of the doubt when he makes unusual moves.

-Eagles trade McNabb

-Eagles sign Vick

So, I don't think this move will be a disaster but they probably won't win a SB next year. All bases are covered now.

Really? Really? Bro, come on, who are you trying to convince? You flip-flop on your stance more than a politician, and the Eagles were never actually good. We have been telling you that all year, how do you come to that conclusion with those convincing games against Minnesota and GB to close out your year? So to clarify, your team was never good, we told you that before you got it handed to you by GB in the first round of the playoffs.

Also, we have been telling you that you haven't won a Super Bowl since before you flip-flopped to 'now we are good' mode, and to make sure you understand every division has a team that hasn't won a Super Bowl, every division. Ours is the Eagles, I won't ever worry about you guys winning jack....oh yeah and all bases are covered now.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/115151399.html?cmpid=15585797

Asante Samuel: "The offensive line coach?" the Eagles cornerback said.

Mike McGlynn: "Really?" McGlynn said. "That's crazy."

Darryl Tapp: "That's a curveball," "Maybe a knuckler is better."

Winston Justice didn't know Castillo had moved from offense to defense until Eagles pastor Theodore Winsley called him. Justice said that he was stunned by the news.

Omar Gaither: "I think everybody is shocked," "I didn't know Juan knew defense. I know that he once played linebacker. That's something he makes known almost every day. But he's a smart guy. Maybe it's not as crazy as it sounds."

Everyone caught by surprise.

And this guy will be Washburn's boss. Makes no sense.

Archived