Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Hire Offensive Line Coach to be D-Coordinator

Cambl2Moss

Mike McCarthy was a QB coach...

But McCarthy was an OC in New Orleans and San Fran (five years of experience) before he was hired to be the HC in Green Bay. Zorn was the Washington OC for a whopping three weeks before he was promoted to HC. :doh:

Weird move? Totally. The fact that he hasn't even been a coordinator at the NFL level should be worrisome to the Eagles fan base. There's a difference between knowing defense, and being able to effectively call plays in the middle of a game. I'm pretty sure almost any NFL coach, no matter what position they coach, can talk X's and O's on both sides for hours. But what separates good coordinators from position coaches are the ones who can rally one unit, but also ones who can put his players in the right position and make the right calls, all while dealing with tons of incoming and outgoing information in a stressful environment. Castillo hasn't had to do this for a good 20 years at any level.

Plus ... the fact of the matter is that Castillo hasn't even conducted ANY coaching of any defensive position at the NFL level. I'm not a fortune teller, and won't say that this will blow up in Andy Reid's face for sure. But this is a huge gamble IMO. They would have been better off with McDermott.

From dockeryfan's article:

"It's all good," Samuel said a few moments after he righted himself. "It's all good. But I can't talk about this anymore."

He then hung up.

:ols:

I think this move wouldn't have seemed so bad for the Eagles if they weren't such a young team. Since that seems to be their main bragging point at the moment, that is. If Dawkins were still there at Safety and could ease the coach's and players' transition; if a vet linebacker like Spikes or Trotter could be a leader on the field if the inexperienced coach became confused; if Asante Samuel was more of a complete corner like Woodson and less of a gambler like Hall; you get the point. I think you can bring in an inexperienced coach with a veteran corps and have it work better than a young group with the same.

I think you can bring in an inexperienced coach with a veteran corps and have it work better than a young group with the same.

I think it depends. A lot of veterans wouldn't be crazy about playing for a coach that was feeling his way around. Kind of like some of the rumblings regarding Sheldon Brown & McDermott.

None of this will matter if they don't get some talent to give JC.

While it's true this could end up as a good move, we had to endure a million, "he's never even been a coordinator before" statements when Zorn was our HC, so I find it funny that no one is even bringing this up at ALL.

Not only has the guy NEVER coached defense in the NFL, he's never been a coordinator, and his OL hasn't been spectacular the last few years either. The last is not necessarily his fault, but still, it doesn't scream, "THIS GUY SHOULD BE OUR NEW DC!!!!!" at you either.

Until proven otherwise......:rotflmao:

Something tells me that, by October (assuming there is a normal season), the hot NFL story will be how the Eagles continue to find diamonds in the rough. I can't imagine this move was made out of desperation...I have to assume that Castillo brings something to the table for the defense. I'm not saying that he'll be incredible or redefine defenses in the NFL, but the guy will be competent.

But we can always hope.

Hope that a guy that has no experience at all coaching a defense has difficulty on gameday? I don't think that's a hope. It's a lock.

Eagles fans like to claim that their organization is just as good as the top ones in the nfl. Every single talking head is scratching their heads on this one. Every player is shocked. The only ones saying anything positive are former players and teammates. Shocker. I'm sure we can find a ton of quotes that said Zorn would be great HC. Or McDermott a great DC.

Fact is, people are talking about the hiring of a DC on a random team during Super Bowl week. You do the math.

Some rumors out there that Andy Reid is going to be out in Philly. Health related, maybe?

I don't believe it. I did read that gruden was visiting philly (on another message board) but that same site said he was married to Washburn's daughter. (I never heard that before.) He could just be visiting family.

Archived