Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PhysOrg: Italian scientists claim to have demonstrated cold fusion (w/ Video)

China

Italian scientists claim to have demonstrated cold fusion (w/ Video)

(PhysOrg.com) -- Few areas of science are more controversial than cold fusion, the hypothetical near-room-temperature reaction in which two smaller nuclei join together to form a single larger nucleus while releasing large amounts of energy. In the 1980s, Stanley Pons and Martin Fleishmann claimed to have demonstrated cold fusion - which could potentially provide the world with a cheap, clean energy source - but their experiment could not be reproduced. Since then, all other claims of cold fusion have been illegitimate, and studies have shown that cold fusion is theoretically implausible, causing mainstream science to become highly speculative of the field in general.

Despite the intense skepticism, a small community of scientists is still investigating near-room-temperature fusion reactions. The latest news occurred last week, when Italian scientists Andrea Rossi and Sergio Focardi of the University of Bologna announced that they developed a cold fusion device capable of producing 12,400 W of heat power with an input of just 400 W. Last Friday, the scientists held a private invitation press conference in Bologna, attended by about 50 people, where they demonstrated what they claim is a nickel-hydrogen fusion reactor. Further, the scientists say that the reactor is well beyond the research phase; they plan to start shipping commercial devices within the next three months and start mass production by the end of 2011.

The claim

Rossi and Focardi say that, when the atomic nuclei of nickel and hydrogen are fused in their reactor, the reaction produces copper and a large amount of energy. The reactor uses less than 1 gram of hydrogen and starts with about 1,000 W of electricity, which is reduced to 400 W after a few minutes. Every minute, the reaction can convert 292 grams of 20°C water into dry steam at about 101°C. Since raising the temperature of water by 80°C and converting it to steam requires about 12,400 W of power, the experiment provides a power gain of 12,400/400 = 31. As for costs, the scientists estimate that electricity can be generated at a cost of less than 1 cent/kWh, which is significantly less than coal or natural gas plants.

“The magnitude of this result suggests that there is a viable energy technology that uses commonly available materials, that does not produce carbon dioxide, and that does not produce radioactive waste and will be economical to build,” according to this description of the demonstration.

Rossi and Focardi explain that the reaction produces radiation, providing evidence that the reaction is indeed a nuclear reaction and does not work by some other method. They note that no radiation escapes due to lead shielding, and no radioactivity is left in the cell after it is turned off, so there is no nuclear waste.

Click on the link for the full article

u-Ru1eAymvE

I remember Stanley Pons and Martin Fleishmann. The Washington Post called their discovery the greatest discovery since Fire. Then engeneers at the Univerisity of Michigan, Ohio State, and Oklahoma all confirmed their results. The entire scientific world was a flutter. Then the representative from MIT famously stated; we need to wait until a school without a winning football team confirms these results. The MIT scientists having failed to confirm Poris and Fleishmann's results.

Within two days of that statement the entire discovery was discredited.

If this discovery is true, it will revolutionaize everything and change the balance of power in the world.. ( we will still be on top but OPEC nations aren't looking to hot )...

But it's not true.

I remember Stanley Pons and Martin Fleishmann. The Washington Post called their discovery the greatest discovery since Fire. Then engeneers at the Univerisity of Michigan, Ohio State, and Oklahoma all confirmed their results. The entire scientific world was a flutter. Then the representative from MIT famously stated; we need to wait until a school without a winning football team confirms these results. The MIT scientists having failed to confirm Poris and Fleishmann's results.

Within two days of that statement the entire discovery was discredited.

The quote is sort of accurate, but I did a google search and the rest of your memory is flawed. It was a guy at Cal Tech mocking the idea that scientists at the University of Utah could have come up with this thing out of the blue.

Preliminary positive results for Pons and Fleischmann actually came from Stanford, Los Alamos, Oak Ridge and Georgia Tech. Michigan, Ohio State and Oklahoma had nothing to do with it, as far as I can tell.

http://partners.nytimes.com/library/national/science/050399sci-cold-fusion.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=Vy6JvLG5tcMC&pg=PA128&lpg=PA128&dq=pons+fleischmann+football&source=bl&ots=e2YxBByEVM&sig=FqoWkkVINV5jF4DQ4yL8HrpyprE&hl=en&ei=adw5TeH3Loy8sQOg-pS6Aw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=pons%20fleischmann%20football&f=false

Why did I bother to check? Because I am an alum of Michigan, of course, one of the great graduate research universities in the world and ranked in the top ten in virtually any ranking of such things, and I take such things personally. :)

Why did I bother to check? Because I am an alum of Michigan, of course, one of the great graduate research universities in the world and ranked in the top ten in virtually any ranking of such things, and I take such things personally. :)

I guess University of Michigan stuck in my head because that's where Pons of Pons and fleischmann earned his advanced degree in science and they have a winning football team..

MIT scientist Ronald G. Ballinger was the guy I was thinking off, he was the first to voice objections to the cold fusion wave of hystaria on Friday, April 28, 1989. I believe the football quote came from him but I could be wrong. Pons and Fliecher supported by their University applied for a $25 million dollar grant from congress to futher research their discovery, termed by the Washington Post "mans greatest discovery since fire", and the MIT professor testified before congress saying such a grant was premature, noting early on the worked sited on the paper submitted could not be verified specifically by the team of folks working on duplicating the results at MIT.

MIT was thus one of the first schools which stood up to the frenzy of supporters the cold fusion scientists had gathered.

http://tech.mit.edu/V109/N21/fusion.21n.html

This sounds like a very traditional scam, one that people have been running for years.

I know. I used to run this scam back in high school. I'd claim that I invented a cold fusion device to get out of class. Worked right up until my science class.

By the way, I still have a few of these available on ebay if anyone is interested in a link. You'll have to get your own time crystals.

timemachine.JPG

I'm calling bull**** on this too.

They don't have any idea how it works, i.e. what's the physics (they may just be lucky but it's hard to develop new technology if you don't know what you are trying to optimize)

They haven't submitted the copper they claim is created for analysis to see if its structure is consistent with this origin

They haven't reported on the radiation spectrum - if a fusion reaction is taking place, this would be an obvious way to show what they claim is happening, is actually happening.

They haven't got the paper accepted by a peer-reviewed journal

They haven't got anyone else to reproduce the results.

Rossi has a rap sheet including tax fraud and smuggling.

They are trying to sell it as a product already.

Archived