Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Greatest Redskins Linebacker of all time.

polywog999

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Best I seen play was Wilbur Marshall. I'm sure based on all I've heard about Hanburger that he is better but with stats like these:

played 80 games for the Redskins during a span of 5 years. He played in three Pro Bowls (1986, 1987, 1992). He was named first team all-pro twice (1986, 1992). He achieved 24.5 sacks and 12 interceptions as well as 621 tackles. In 1991 alone he got 5 interceptions.

I can't go off of someone elses memories and have to trust my own. Marshall was a F'ing beast in there and the best in my lifetime

Your opinion is the only one that matters then, huh?

Harvey made me aware of the linebacker position. I remember him playing so vividly... And to this day I can remember some of the big plays and hits he made. I don't remember a single thing from the Hanburger highlight reels that I've watched vividly. Is it because I don't think he was a good player? Absolutely not. I think Hanburger was a monster. But there's something about actually seeing someone play.

Sorry you don't approve of my voting tactic.

Fine, then the guy should add in Orakpo so 13 year olds can vote for him as the best Redskins linebacker ever.

Because Harvey made you aware of the linebacker position makes him the best ever? WOW bro, you must have watched a lot of Cardinals games then because he played there longer than he did here. I'm sure your not basing it on his 4 full seasons here and saying that those 4 years are better than 14 from a 9 time Pro Bowler who was a big reason we were a winning team during the 70's, unlike the 90's with Harvey.

But no you can vote however you like. I'm just pointing out that voting for Harvey or Arrington is like voting for Rypien or Brunell in comparison.

---------- Post added January-15th-2011 at 04:25 AM ----------

10 people in this poll are either relatives of Lavar or completely out of their minds.

Harvey and Marshall have family members here voting for them too. :D It's not like either of them even spent 1/2 of their careers here.

Hanburger, without a doubt, was one of the most dominating LBs of all time in the NFL. He was an 18th, yes 18th, round draft pick.

Not sure of his exact size, but if I had to guess I'd say 5'10" 190lbs. His nickname was "The Hangman" so you know he was a tough SOB. A really, really tough **** who didn't back down tackling anybody in the NFL. Brought it every play, every game.

Agreed about Hanburger running away with this one. Disagreed about his nickname meaning that he was one tough SOB. It could easily mean that he was very, very poor at guessing letters.

Only saw him at the end of his career, but the way he literally wrapped his arms around a ball carrier's neck is how he got his nickname. I loved those days. They not only had cool nicknames, but the game was played rough. No stupid uneccessary roughness penalties, no field turf and no whining. Games were rough, the field was mud/dirt (save for the occassional astroturf) and the players truly wanted to win and not collect a paycheck.

My vote was #55, Chris Hanburger.

With all due respect, you were twelve when he came here. Arrington was replaced by Holdman. Who is, and I agree with you, the greatest Redskins linebacker in history. I'd go so far as to say that Sammy Baugh should've had to donate his bust to get the right amount of bronze for our GOAT.

But I was reading at a high school level!

In all seriousness I can do without the "you're too young" line. I fully admitted I am too young to have seen any of the worthy names on that list. I did however see most (I wasn't a huge fan when I was 12) of his career. I may not have been able to explain the intricacies of the OLB position in the 4-3 but I could see if a guy was consistently doing his job. I was 18 when he retired at which point I had a fairly good understanding of what actually makes a good player vs. what good and sometimes misleading stats look like.

However as long as we can agree on our GOAT that's good enough for me. :giantsuck:

None of these guys other than Chris Hanburger should get a single vote.

Not only did he play 14 years, and ONLY for the Redskins (unlike Huff, Harvey, Marshall, Arrington, Washington) but he went to more Pro Bowls than any other Redskin before or since.

Any other vote is like saying that Rypien, Williams, or Theismann is the teams greatest QB just because you didn't see Baugh play.

I voted for Coleman, because i like him, but I can see this.

Arrington made two big plays while he was here. The interception that turned the season around and the destruction of Troy Aikman. That's it. He never did anything else and was more well known for being out of position on every play.

Didn't he try the "Lavar Leap" once or twice but got flattened both times?

Archived