Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 ES GM Mock Draft Discussion Thread/MOCK CLOSED DOWN

Dukes and Skins

I propose we autopick based on a system similar to fantasy drafts. We'll take a top prospects big board like Mayock, Kiper, whoever. If someone doesn't pick in time, we'll assign them the highest rated prospect remaining on the used big board.

Also, the Bills would like to acquire a second early second round pick.

Well I was planning on giving Aldon Smith as he would be the BPA left on the board

I understand what you're trying to say, but I feel like the people who miss the draft or do not plan accordingly should not get the steals or blue chippers. It could also be a middle ground to avoid people dissatisfied with their picks. For instance, say we looked at Scout's Incs top prospects, the next prospect off the board would be Jimmy Smith. I guess you could move down some to make sure it fills a need, ie the Patriots do not draft Mallett or something.

I just know people like you, steve, other draft gurus really put the time in and are not making projections off of your rep. I, too, like Aldon Smith a lot, but say some people on here do not think he'd be a fit or do not show up, and he slid to someone in the twenties. That'd be a hell of a steal for that person who did show up. It's not like the people who are busy are missing out either as they are getting good prospects according to "pros."

I understand what you're trying to say, but I feel like the people who miss the draft or do not plan accordingly should not get the steals or blue chippers. It could also be a middle ground to avoid people dissatisfied with their picks. For instance, say we looked at Scout's Incs top prospects, the next prospect off the board would be Jimmy Smith. I guess you could move down some to make sure it fills a need, ie the Patriots do not draft Mallett or something.

I just know people like you, steve, other draft gurus really put the time in and are not making projections off of your rep. I, too, like Aldon Smith a lot, but say some people on here do not think he'd be a fit or do not show up, and he slid to someone in the twenties. That'd be a hell of a steal for that person who did show up. It's not like the people who are busy are missing out either as they are getting good prospects according to "pros."

I see that and honestly you could give HOU any prospect and it would be a great fit. BTW I have a replacement for anyone who misses another pick so this is just a heads up. Honestly guys if you miss a pick or will miss a pick just PM me or someone else and give them your big board and the pick will be made. Conn has done that and others have already. I'm not trying to whine or be a jerk just want this to not force into dropping people from the mock that's not what I want to do, but also please get these picks in on time

Also if we're going off my big board I believe Aldon Smith is the next one to come off but its anyones call

I see that and honestly you could give HOU any prospect and it would be a great fit. BTW I have a replacement for anyone who misses another pick so this is just a heads up. Honestly guys if you miss a pick or will miss a pick just PM me or someone else and give them your big board and the pick will be made. Conn has done that and others have already. I'm not trying to whine or be a jerk just want this to not force into dropping people from the mock that's not what I want to do, but also please get these picks in on time

Also if we're going off my big board I believe Aldon Smith is the next one to come off but its anyones call

I agree people should get their picks in, but I hate taking people off the board since it never really reflects a need. Looking at the draft so far, no way Denver takes a WR at #2, they go D-Line for sure. Do any of the teams before the Redskins take AJ? Maybe Cleveland, but thats about it. Throwing a playing that is tops on the board to a person that misses their pick basically rewards them for not being there. Esp as we get later in the draft and teams pick based off what fits. Am I a little bitter that he was removed about 10 minutes before I was about to take him/trade my pick to someone that wanted him? You bet. But I def. would have been more comfortable with the outcome had either a person picked him or we had established a rule for teams missing a pick before the draft instead of almost a third of the way into the first round.

I agree people should get their picks in, but I hate taking people off the board since it never really reflects a need. Looking at the draft so far, no way Denver takes a WR at #2, they go D-Line for sure. Do any of the teams before the Redskins take AJ? Maybe Cleveland, but thats about it. Throwing a playing that is tops on the board to a person that misses their pick basically rewards them for not being there. Esp as we get later in the draft and teams pick based off what fits. Am I a little bitter that he was removed about 10 minutes before I was about to take him/trade my pick to someone that wanted him? You bet. But I def. would have been more comfortable with the outcome had either a person picked him or we had established a rule for teams missing a pick before the draft instead of almost a third of the way into the first round.

Well I'm sorry about that one thing we can do is just shut this down as well if this isn't going to work out for everyone.

I mean things come up, but you'd think if someone committed to participate in something like this they'd keep tabs on it so they wouldn't miss out.

Personally I've been waiting for this to start for a while and been spending a lot of free time looking over prospects and trying to put myself in a mind set of what the Jets would look for in a prospect (besides good feet) and what needs are really needs.

I agree that it's tough that guys get good players even if they don't show up, but this is are attempt at making a serious mock of teams. I also understand why it's frustrating that AJ Green was the 9 pick to a team that probably has bigger needs. I think the best way might be a 3 player mini poll, voted on by the active posters here. It may make it tougher, but it probably makes it more likely to be realistic. I don't think it's as fun if we luck into guys because other guys miss picks. It's not fantasy football, so it's not like it affects a team event later. Just my 2 cents.

I agree that it's tough that guys get good players even if they don't show up, but this is are attempt at making a serious mock of teams. I also understand why it's frustrating that AJ Green was the 9 pick to a team that probably has bigger needs. I think the best way might be a 3 player mini poll, voted on by the active posters here. It may make it tougher, but it probably makes it more likely to be realistic. I don't think it's as fun if we luck into guys because other guys miss picks. It's not fantasy football, so it's not like it affects a team event later. Just my 2 cents.

My point was more along the lines of, there is no way Green is the 2nd pick in the draft, not that he was picked 9.

But my larger point was that there has been little direction in how this was going to go. At one point it was said this would happen the week after the combine. Then it was said that it would happen in two days with rules kind of made on the fly. If you failed to check this thread on Wednesday or Thursday this week you had no idea the draft had even started.

I think the mock draft is a great idea, but if you are planning on getting 32 people together to do something online there def. needs to be a firm start date and times set well in advance of the start so that everyone is on the same page.

---------- Post added March-5th-2011 at 06:44 PM ----------

I mean guys its up to you all if you want me to I can just shut this down and this is over if its not working out for everyone

I don't think anyone has said to shut it down, just offering feedback as to how it can run smoother in the future.

I think the mock draft is a great idea, but if you are planning on getting 32 people together to do something online there def. needs to be a firm start date and times set well in advance of the start so that everyone is on the same page.

They committed to being a part of this and should be paying closer attention. It's not that hard to at the least have sent your board to Dukes if you knew that you wouldn't be able to be available all the time.

That being said the first 2 teams today haven't gone yet...

They committed to being a part of this and should be paying closer attention. It's not that hard to at the least have sent your board to Dukes if you knew that you wouldn't be able to be available all the time.

That being said the first 2 teams today haven't gone yet...

I agree, but as another poster had said before, they had no idea this had started. No PM to the owners and in this very thread it was said we would start the week after the combine and then that was bumped up with no notice other then in this thread. I totally agree with the fact you should be held responsible for being there for your teams selection, but I think there prob. should have been more notice given out and maybe even a confirmation back from people that they were still in for doing this.

I agree, but as another poster had said before, they had no idea this had started. No PM to the owners and in this very thread it was said we would start the week after the combine and then that was bumped up with no notice other then in this thread. I totally agree with the fact you should be held responsible for being there for your teams selection, but I think there prob. should have been more notice given out and maybe even a confirmation back from people that they were still in for doing this.

I don't feel like I need to send out PM's to every single owner about this though that was my reasoning. If I should of then I'm sorry about that but PM'ing 32 guys to make sure its all on is going to take time and I was already feeling the pressure to hurry up and start this honestly though with the way things are going I'm almost feeling like this isn't going to work

Here's my take on the situation, which, admittedly, means nothing.

Dukes has worked very hard to get this thing together, keep track of everything, and try to run it smoothly.

I, for one, don't want to see that all go to waste because one guy couldn't be here when he was supposed to, and a reasonable (although admittedly unlikely) player was allocated to his team to preserve the rest of the draft.

Yes, AJ Green at #2 is a little unrealistic. Actually, a lot unrealistic. But it was the best solution to a problem we HOPED we wouldn't have, obviously. You know what else is almost as unrealistic? Patrick Peterson falling so far. Probably Cam Newton going to the Titans. These are both picks made by the actual owners of the teams in this mock draft, and are almost as unlikely as the AJ Green "fix". But as in the real draft, unpredictable things happen, and the explanations for the reasons for both of those "un-manufactured" situations make it all good.

So lets look at it objectively, people: Its NOT a big deal. Its unfortunate, but not a game breaker by any means. We have 6+ more rounds to go, which, to me, are much more interesting than round 1. An owner's Round 1 pick can easily be made by checking a bunch of mock drafts. Its the later rounds where a lot of trading, etc. goes on. Its going to be fun, and this little bump at the beginning of this thing will be forgotten.

So lets chalk it up to a bad GM (Come on...who has Elway ever struck as very intelligent? :silly:) at #2, both in "real life" and in this mock draft, and move on.

Dukes has worked way too hard on this, and we're all just a little too invested, to become little ****es about it. Let's just keep going and most importantly HAVE FUN. That's what it's all about, and one errant pick at the very beginning of this whole damn thing shouldn't ruin it.

I've been stuck in a snow storm with limited internet in VT, or I would have been much more active in this so far. So I apologize for that, everyone. But this will be a long project, so there's plenty of time. Let's all just work together. Be cool, and try to be active in this thing. The events of the last day or two are not the end of the world, and aren't even a big deal in terms of this draft.

Actually I can see Patrick Peterson fall down to 7.. AJ Green going 2 is not impossible, if Denver really wants a star athlete

I as well have seen Peterson falling to 7.

Also I'm going to start this back up on Monday morning if everyone is ok with that or I can just start back up today its your alls call on that

Is anyone going to pick today, or what? I thought my rah-rah kumbaya post would liven it up in here :(:silly:

I've still gotten nothing from TML so honestly I might just give the team to someone else and start tomorrow for sure and try to get 8 picks done

I'm thinking tomorrow in order to catch up we just do 1 hour time slots its a pain and I'm sorry but we're now behind and I want this to be done by the time the draft rolls around

Too much work. This is a message board. This needs to involve as little work as possible to remain fun. This will just have to use the fantasy football draft format where absentee owners forfeit the right to choose. If it happens to me and I get stuck with someone crappy, I won't complain.

Besides, it's not like anyone ended up with a 5th or 6th round prospect in the top ten. Whoever did the autopicks didn't have to be so nice. :evilg:

FYI FOR TOMORROW.

Tomorrow at 10AM will be the 15th pick and we will go in 1 hour increments I look at it this way if you miss your pick tomorrow I will after 3 people pick after you auto pick for you and give you the #1 player on the board. Also Houston is getting Aldon Smith at #11 and after that it will be the #1 player regardless of need. It can be a complaint but if you miss your pick your getting the #1 guy no matter if you need it or not(I'll only exclude QB's)

Archived