Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Mapping America: Every City, Every Block

China

Mapping America: Every City, Every Block

Browse local data from the Census Bureau's American Community Survey, based on samples from 2005 to 2009. Because these figures are based on samples, they are subject to a margin of error, particularly in places with a low population, and are best regarded as estimates.

http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer?ref=us

its kinda odd in practice though :D

at the neighborhood level it makes it SEEM like the dots actually mean something verspecific, but they are still groupings of 25 individuals... so for my neighborhood in McLean, which is 1% african american --- the african americandot appears in the parkland woods down the street from me-- like there is a camp of afican american gypsies squating in the park :s

the maps work best when you DON'T zoom too far in!!!

(ON my house there is a dot for 25 "others" ---- i am going straight home and making ET and his friends leave)

its kinda odd in practice though :D

at the neighborhood level it makes it SEEM like the dots actually mean something verspecific, but they are still groupings of 25 individuals... so for my neighborhood in McLean, which is 1% african american --- the african americandot appears in the parkland woods down the street from me-- like there is a camp of afican american gypsies squating in the park :s

the maps work best when you DON'T zoom too far in!!!

(ON my house there is a dot for 25 "others" ---- i am going straight home and making ET and his friends leave)

Have you checked the park to see if there are any there?

One thing I noticed, only because it opens onto New York City. Look how starkly Flatbush Avenue divides white populations from black in Brooklyn.
The same thing happens with 16th St. NW in DC. When you zoom out, the Beltway is cut almost perfectly in half, with black people dominating the right half.

One thing I noticed, only because it opens onto New York City. Look how starkly Flatbush Avenue divides white populations from black in Brooklyn.

YOu want to see something really striking. Check out Chicago, Atlanta or (especially) Detroit.

Archived