Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When is the Last Time we had a System QB that was Talented

Chiefinonhaze

It must have been before I started watching football, because the only one I can remember is Todd Collins, and he ended up leading us to the playoffs. I can't remember a time we had a QB in the same system for 3 or more years. This will be Rex Grossman's 3rd year under Kyle Shanahan.

There are several QB's who are/or were in the same scenario in the NFL. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Big Ben, Matt Cassel with Pats, Mcnabb with the Eagles, Joe Flacco, and I'm sure there are more. The main thing is, continuity in offensive scheme breeds success at the QB position.

Rex Grossman might not be Tom Brady, but he is much more physically talented than Todd Collins, and much younger. It is important for a QB to know the scheme in and out, because he will know all of the hot reads and audibles to dissect a defense. It will also allow a QB to minimize mistakes.

Not only does the QB need to know the system, the rest of the offense needs to know it to in order to help the QB succeed. The WR's needs to know the hot routes as well, to bail the QB out when he is under pressure. The O-line needs to know all of the protection calls to minimize sacks. This was everyones first year in the system, except for Rex. Maybe some of those sacks/turnovers weren't his fault?

I don't think we should squander the opportunity to finally have a QB who has mastered a system here in D.C. Rex should go into next season as the starter, and we should bring in a competent young backup, or a rookie.

It must have been before I started watching football, because the only one I can remember is Todd Collins, and he ended up leading us to the playoffs. I can't remember a time we had a QB in the same system for 3 or more years. This will be Rex Grossman's 3rd year under Kyle Shanahan.

There are several QB's who are/or were in the same scenario in the NFL. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Big Ben, Matt Cassel with Pats, Mcnabb with the Eagles, Joe Flacco, and I'm sure there are more. The main thing is, continuity in offensive scheme breeds success at the QB position.

Rex Grossman might not be Tom Brady, but he is much more physically talented than Todd Collins, and much younger. It is important for a QB to know the scheme in and out, because he will know all of the hot reads and audibles to dissect a defense. It will also allow a QB to minimize mistakes.

Not only does the QB need to know the system, the rest of the offense needs to know it to in order to help the QB succeed. The WR's needs to know the hot routes as well, to bail the QB out when he is under pressure. The O-line needs to know all of the protection calls to minimize sacks. This was everyones first year in the system, except for Rex. Maybe some of those sacks/turnovers weren't his fault?

I don't think we should squander the opportunity to finally have a QB who has mastered a system here in D.C. Rex should go into next season as the starter, and we should bring in a competent young backup, or a rookie.

"Rex Grossman might not be Tom Brady, but he is much more physically talented than Todd Collins"

Nyet!

I don't know how old you are but Mark Rypien was in Joe Gibbs' one back, H-Back system for many years. He actually has 2 superbowl rings since he was with the team as a 3rd and 4th string quarterback behind Doug Williams, Jay Schroeder,and Stan Humphries when we won Superbowl XXII. Then as a starter in the 1989 season until the year after we won Superbowl XXVI.

Chiefinonhaze writes "The main thing is, continuity in offensive scheme breeds success at the QB position.

The O-line needs to know all of the protection calls to minimize sacks. This was everyones first year in the system, except for Rex. Maybe some of those sacks/turnovers weren't his fault?"

Rex may be well suited to the Shanahan offense. The issue he has to overcome is fumbles and interceptions. But definitely not all of the fumbles/interceptions are his fault. Trent Williams was beaten on several ocassions resulting in the ball being stripped from behind. The interception against the Giants was the exact same mistake made during his first start (pass to Sellers where Sellers went on a go route and Rex thought he would take the wheel route). In both cases, miscommunication rather than a mental error on Rex's part.

Skins are not going to be able to move up and take QB Luck without selling out all other team needs. I don't think it's necessary to put all the Skins resources into a new rookie QB. Even if the Skins draft a QB in the first round we really won't know whether the guy is going to pan out. Remember Heath Schuler?

Grossman definitely could fill the role of caretaker QB. It's not necessarily a bad thing to go with a "good enough" QB. It's going to take a lot more than the QB to convert the franchise into a perennial winner.

According to Sonny Jurgensen system doesn’t matter. Or rather, it is over rated. I tend to agree. Great QBs are great QBs, good ones are good, bad ones are bad. A good coach will tailor his offense to a QBs strengths but there is only so far knowing a system inside and out will take you.

According to Sonny Jurgensen system doesn’t matter. Or rather, it is over rated. I tend to agree. Great QBs are great QBs, good ones are good, bad ones are bad. A good coach will tailor his offense to a QBs strengths but there is only so far knowing a system inside and out will take you.

Did our "coaches" tailor their system to the players this season? I'd have to say, no.

It seems like the last "great" or even "talented" quarterback this team has had was Sonny Jurgensen. The rest were, at their best, teetering on the edge of greatness (Joe Theismann would probably fit that description, but I'm not sure) or benefited from having one of the greatest offensive lines in the history of the league and a hall of fame Wide Receiver...or they just flat out stank.

Sammy Baugh?

that would be my vote.

was never a huge Joe T fan, and even less of a Doug Williams fan, and not a fan at all of M Rypien...the team was stellar...he just had to not make mistakes.

the way i look at it, we are still waiting for that really great franchise QB...of my lifetime :D

I don't know how old you are but Mark Rypien was in Joe Gibbs' one back, H-Back system for many years. He actually has 2 superbowl rings since he was with the team as a 3rd and 4th string quarterback behind Doug Williams, Jay Schroeder,and Stan Humphries when we won Superbowl XXII. Then as a starter in the 1989 season until the year after we won Superbowl XXVI.

Rypien is the obvious pick, put up huge numbers with us in Gibbs system and did nothing anywhere else. That said I am ok with Grossman next year as long as he is the bridge to a good young QB either this draft or in 2012.

Almost all systems in football today started so that teams of suck could compete with the good teams. A good player can play well in any system but can become elite if he learns the system he is in. A good system QB is a guy who has limited talent but has a given system down pat and is willing to do what he can do to execute within his abilities.

If there aren't a lot of system QBs out there, then why don't a lot of QBs have success on multiple teams. I can think of two recent exceptions in Drew Brees and Kurt Warner, but they had an awful lot of support in their new systems (BTW, Warner was horrible with the Giants).

Cutler has been more turnover prone in Chicago than Rex - both now have 31 starts in their Chicago careers. And Cutler was consiered a can't miss by most of the talking heads with the NFL and the like. Orton was not very good in Chicago's system but was much better with Denver.

IMO, Brady and Manning are the only two QBs in the league who could switch systems rather easily, but both need lots of OL protection to succeed. The Patriots at last check have had the same OL coach for over 20 years.

Yes, this would be Rex's third year in the system but he's only played about 3 1/2 games in this system with two different teams.

The NFL breeds little else but system QBs IMO. Even Eli Manning had the Giants pick his college QB coach as their QB coach at one point. QBs aren't nearly as flexible as they used to be IMO.

I would be shocked if Rex isn't the starter next year. It just makes sense. We'll draft someone for sure, but they won't be ready. And the other journeyman out there -- guys like Bulger -- aren't familiar with the system.

I think thats our problem. We always say someone isnt ready. Sam bradford was plugged in, and he almost led them to the playoffs. Colt McCoy came in, i believe he had a rough start, but then he picked it up a lot towards the end of the season. Then again, we all saw what Jimmy Clausen(sp) did, and i remember how many people on this board wanted him here lol.

C'mon Joey T lit it up w the smurfs...and Art Monk...the Fun Bunch!....Gibbs 1 we passed to set up the run...tire a D out w the pass in the 1st half and Riggo drill their worn out asses in Q4....the first drive always included a big play to Didier or TE down the middle to back off the linebackers and safeties

Did our "coaches" tailor their system to the players this season? I'd have to say, no.

Do the coaches always have to tailor their systems to the players? I understand the idea but I would prefer a coach that implements his system (if it's a proven one) and then get the players to fit it and run it for years to come.

Do the coaches always have to tailor their systems to the players? I understand the idea but I would prefer a coach that implements his system (if it's a proven one) and then get the players to fit it and run it for years to come.

Successful football teams have been tailoring there systems to fit their players since the early 1900s. The WCO is, at its core, a system that is supposed to be tailorable to the skill sets of its players.

It seems like the last "great" or even "talented" quarterback this team has had was Sonny Jurgensen. The rest were, at their best, teetering on the edge of greatness (Joe Theismann would probably fit that description, but I'm not sure) or benefited from having one of the greatest offensive lines in the history of the league and a hall of fame Wide Receiver...or they just flat out stank.

Sonny did better in Lombardi's system even though it was for one year. He didn't do so well in Allen's system, since Allen was so conservative.

The One back H-Back system was designed for Lawrence Taylor to have a TE (Warren) help with blocking Joey T's blinds side. Gibbs also installed some sprint options for Theismann to elude the rush.

Sonny did better in Lombardi's system even though it was for one year. He didn't do so well in Allen's system, since Allen was so conservative.

The One back H-Back system was designed for Lawrence Taylor to have a TE (Warren) help with blocking Joey T's blinds side. Gibbs also installed some sprint options for Theismann to elude the rush.

I thought Lombardi's system was just as conservative as Allen's, in that he didn't like passing the ball (the Packer sweet was the cornerstone of his championship teams in Green Bay).

From what I've seen on his stat sheet and from old highlight reels, Sonny was THE man, no doubt.

Archived