Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Proposed NFL Rule - Penalty for Punting Out of Bounds

Dan T.

Interesting. Before its 2007 season, the CFL adopted this very rule to beef up a sagging return game.

"Beginning in 2007, a punter will be penalized for kicking the ball out of bounds on the fly anywhere between the 20-yard lines. Ten yards and re-kick. Punts flying out of bounds inside the 20-yard line will not be penalized."

the ironic thing is that the teams that would be most against this would be the ones who have dangerous return men.

the bears gladly take the ball being punted out of bounds at the 40 every time while other teams simply try to avoid a catastrophic play that has very little chance of actually happening.

the effect Devin Hester has on the game would be DECREASED if teams were forced to punt to him.

I haven't seen a coffin corner kick in ten years. I don't think anyone tries to kick it out of bounds anymore. They all try to drop it within the ten and let the gunners run under it. Either that or they try to pin the returner between the hash and the sidelines.

No one needs to 'coffin corner' anymore. Punters are so adept at what they do they don't have to use the sideline to try and pin a team deep. It's flat-out amazing the way they are now able to bounce balls straight up in the air at the one yard line. It really is remarkable the control they exert on the ball.

~Bang

I acknowledge that this would be a huge change in football, both strategically and from a statistical standpoint. Fun fact: The goalposts used to be located at the goal line. Moving them was a huge change in the game, but the league did it.

What huge change in the game resulted from moving the goal post to the back of the endzone besides the strategies of using it as a pick and not busting your head open running into it?

If there was a penalty for punting out of bounds, then they should also make one for throwing a pass out of bounds. On the serious side; I would love to see the rule change for pass interference to the college rule: 15 yards. Pass interference calls in crucial games can be a game changer. I don't like the fact that you can just heave it over a receiver's head, like the Iggles last night, and get an easy shot for a TD, with a short field.

If there was a penalty for punting out of bounds, then they should also make one for throwing a pass out of bounds. On the serious side; I would love to see the rule change for pass interference to the college rule: 15 yards. Pass interference calls in crucial games can be a game changer. I don't like the fact that you can just heave it over a receiver's head, like the Iggles last night, and get an easy shot for a TD, with a short field.

At the same time, there's NO incentive for a defender to not just shove a receiver down in the endzone on a bomb...because its only a 15 yard penalty. WR's would never get a fair shot at any pass longer than 15 yards, because its advantageous to just lay him the **** out, illegally (well, legally in this circumstance, I guess) if you're beaten anyways.

Well, I think when guys decide to punt out of bounds every time, like they did against Brandon that one game, they're giving up valuable field position. It was just unfortunate we couldn't capitalize on it. We were starting at like our 40 every time.

Guys know they're sacrificing yards in exchange for no return. I don't like it, but Brandon (as a rookie for god's sake) is still being effective by making the guy punt it outta bounds. Also taking away any chance of a muffed punt(punts typically harder to catch that kickoffs) so if you're Banks, you're pissed you missed a chance to house one. If you're Shanny, you're stoked you're starting on the 40.

Hmm, I guess us starting at the 40 all day was essentially the same as penalty yardage if this rule DID exist. You're hurting yourself doing it, so why add yellow laundry to the mix.

At the same time, there's NO incentive for a defender to not just shove a receiver down in the endzone on a bomb...because its only a 15 yard penalty. WR's would never get a fair shot at any pass longer than 15 yards, because its advantageous to just lay him the **** out, illegally (well, legally in this circumstance, I guess) if you're beaten anyways.

Before, teams at the 30 yard line line could kick a makable 37 yard field goal. After, teams at the 30 yard line had to kick a much dicier 47 yard field goal. It fundamentally changed the field position game.

What huge change in the game resulted from moving the goal post to the back of the endzone besides the strategies of using it as a pick and not busting your head open running into it?

well, it did stretch the field by about ten yards.

No.. you remove strategy from the coach and the talent of the punter and replace it with a rule.. No thanks

I don't think strategy can depend on punting to that extent. For the most part it's just being directional with the kick and get the average 40-yarder...after that it's a free for all.

Football is a horseshoes-and-hand-grenades game played with an oblong ball...there's just too many variables.

The kickoff rule is not in place to give the return man a chance, it's to keep teams from consistently pinning each other inside the 10.

Also, since kickoffs are from a set spot, the penalty also results in a set ball placement at the 40. And there isn't a rush on kickoffs. So, if a punter gets rushed and shanks one out of bounds, he's already screwed his team's field position, why tack more yards on top of that?

The kickoff rule is not in place to give the return man a chance, it's to keep teams from consistently pinning each other inside the 10.

Also, since kickoffs are from a set spot, the penalty also results in a set ball placement at the 40. And there isn't a rush on kickoffs. So, if a punter gets rushed and shanks one out of bounds, he's already screwed his team's field position, why tack more yards on top of that?

If a punt return team's rush forces a bad kick out of bounds, good for them. Reward them, and punish the punt team for failing to execute.

And I get the situational difference between punts and kickoffs already. The circumstances of one doesn't preclude a rule change in the other.

I hate kicking away from a guy because you suck too much to stop him...it's like walking good batters in baseball. Your stuff isn't good enough? tough crap. With that said, I can't see a reason to change it, I just don't like it. Punting/directional kicking does come at a price, if you aren't really good you give up a lot of yardage.

I actually like this concept, though I have no idea what the proper punishment should be.

Look, the bottom line is this: Money. The NFL wants to monetize it's product. It is a business after all. Strategy or no, big punt return plays are much more exciting to watch than seeing a punter kick out of bounds. Such a kick doesn't take much skill. Therefore, more of the NFL's audience will be excited by and drawn in to the punt returns, indirectly resulting in greater profit.

I also submit to you that a punt should be seen as an offensive privilege, not a right.

Eh? The other team had the forethought to hire a damn good punt returner? Sucks to be you. Maybe you should invest in good special teams players to stop him. In fact, a penalty on out of bounds punts would heighten the importance of a good return man.

I see nothing but upside for this concept.

Really ? Have you watched our special teams over the past few years? Can already imagine......

Skins get pinned back against the goal line and have to punt in a close game. Onto the field comes paleskiuwhatever, shanks the punt and ball goes out at the 30. Already pissed I notice a flag and then hear " on the kicking team..punting out of bounds..15 yards from the spot of the foul, the ball will be placed on the Washington 15 yardline". At this point id probably hang myself. I've had enough of the swinging gate play, missed fgs, missed EXTRA points...

I vote no

Archived