Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowher to return

texasthunder

Hope he goes to Houston.

As do I, but I have a feeling he's going to New York. I don't see Coughlin sticking around unless the Giants win 2 playoff games.

---------- Post added December-19th-2010 at 11:32 PM ----------

I have a feeling he'll end up in Cleveland.

Really? Cowher doesn't fit the Holmgren type of coach. There have been rumors that Holmgren will try to get Gruden to coach the team, which makes more sense than Cowher IMO.

ESPN is reporting that Bill Cowher is planning on returning to coaching in 2011.

His teams of preference:

NY Giants

Miami Dolphins

Houston Texans

Hope he goes to the AFC !!

I'm glad he's returning, but I think its kind of douchey to list the Giants as a team you would prefer to coach, when they are 9-5, and in the thick of the playoff race. I think he could have left them off, at least until the season was finished.

---------- Post added December-20th-2010 at 01:06 AM ----------

i'm thinking Carolina

He's not going to Carolina. Cowher likes to have control. Carolina doesn't play that. That's why Polian isn't still there.

I'm glad he's returning, but I think its kind of douchey to list the Giants as a team you would prefer to coach, when they are 9-5, and in the thick of the playoff race. I think he could have left them off, at least until the season was finished.

I agree. Very unprofessional, unless ESPN is making crap up, then it's even more unprofessional because their sullying Cowher's reputation.

He's not going to Carolina. Cowher likes to have control. Carolina doesn't play that. That's why Polian isn't still there.

An organization desperate enough could be willing to do just about anything. There also seems to be a Pittsburgh connection there (which is one reason why Grimm is considered a strong candidate there.)

For Miami to be realistic, Parcells would have to be willing to step aside (which rumors seem to be that he's considering it.)

After yesterdays loss to the Eagles, i would not be surprised to see some calling for Coughlins head already.

And if they dont make the playoffs, the owner just might give the fans what they want.

Miami is interesting, I have not heard if Spanos is on the hot seat.

And if Cowher does go there, he is going to have some decisions to make about QB.

I see him going to the Texans.

They have a young team, and an established QB.

As for Carolina, I see Harbaugh leaving Stanford and taking Luck with him to rebuild that franchise.

---------- Post added December-20th-2010 at 01:50 PM ----------

I disagree, I think Gruden would and wants to come back, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back and work underneath Holmgren again.
I bet Gruden will be the HC of the Titans.

I thought Gruden sent out a press release stating he would not return to the sidelines till 2012.

It was out when they had his name linked to University of Miami job.

I see Cowher going to the Giants. Cowher is one of the greatest coaches of all time. While the Giants have won a super bowl under Coughlin, it seems that the past few years they've been pretty good but not good enough. New York expects to be successful, even though Coughlin has done a very respectable job in New York, I think Cowher would be much better. Give him a few years and he'll build them a consistent super bowl contending team. They are a really good team now but Cowher has the ability to put them over the top.

An organization desperate enough could be willing to do just about anything. There also seems to be a Pittsburgh connection there (which is one reason why Grimm is considered a strong candidate there.)

For Miami to be realistic, Parcells would have to be willing to step aside (which rumors seem to be that he's considering it.)

Dude, I live here. I hear all that's going on with that franchise. I've followed them over the years. Their owner doesn't want any part of handing over control of his franchise to a coach; or anyone. Again, Bill Polian would still be there if he was allowed more control. Richardson basically ran him off (stupid, I know). Plus, Jerry would never pay what it would take to land a coach like Cowher. That's probably why you keep hearing a guy like Grimm's name coming up for this job. He wouldn't command much money, nor would he want much control.

There's zero chance Cowher lands there.

Dude, I live here. I hear all that's going on with that franchise. I've followed them over the years. Their owner doesn't want any part of handing over control of his franchise to a coach; or anyone. Again, Bill Polian would still be there if he was allowed more control. Richardson basically ran him off (stupid, I know). Plus, Jerry would never pay what it would take to land a coach like Cowher. That's probably why you keep hearing a guy like Grimm's name coming up for this job. He wouldn't command much money, nor would he want much control.

There's zero chance Cowher lands there.

I wouldn't say zero chance, but it's looking like Grimm will be their front runner. The Panthers have always tried to model their teams like the Steelers. They run the ball well, play good defense and stay away from high priced free agents. With Grimm being a Pittsburgh guy, he'd fit right in with what they want. But Richardson's health has been failing over the years and it might not be a surprise to see him try to lure Cowher. Another darkhorse for this team will be Jeff Fisher if he is let go in Tennessee.

If Cowher goes to NY, the main question I have is will he switch the Giants great front seven of a 4-3 to a 3-4? If he does I think it would be a horrible mistake, the Giants barely have enough LBs as it is now, much less to play in the 3-4.

Cowher had nothing to do with that defense and the Giants are fairly stacked at LB.

Personally, I would love to see him Coach NY. I think he is a vastly overrated HC. If he didn't have one of the best DCs in history, he wouldn't have won squat. 0nce Eli retires, I'd love to watch the gnats go through a 5/6 year Stewie like stretch.

Personally, I would love to see him Coach NY. I think he is a vastly overrated HC. If he didn't have one of the best DCs in history, he wouldn't have won squat. 0nce Eli retires, I'd love to watch the gnats go through a 5/6 year Stewie like stretch.

I agree. Well, sort of. Steelers didn't skip a beat when he left. Pittsburgh is such a great organization it's hard to tell how much credit the head coach deserves.

Archived