Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Epic Recent History of Kickers in DC

Dan T.

That's truly sad.

Eh, it's more of a sign of the times. Kickers have become stronger, more athletic and more agile since back in the day. Moseley was one of the best kickers in the league back when he played.

Of all of our kickers who attempted 30 or more field goals, here's how they rank.

1. Shaun Suisham: 80.2%

2. John Hall: 78.3%

3. Brett Conway: 75.4%

4. Scott Blanton: 73.3%

5. Eddie Murray: 72.9%

6. Graham Gano: 72.2%

7. Chip Lohmiller: 71.4%

8. Mark Moseley: 66.2%

Moseley attempted far more than anyone else... But, of this list, he's 8th in our history.

Opponents are 66% this season at FedEx. We're 64.7% at FedEx. Total make rate is 65.7%.

That's interesting. You don't happen to have those statistics for prior seasons do you?

Suisham is the most accurate kicker in Redskin history.

You should have waited until someone either got it right or gave a hilariously bad answer. I didn't really want to spoil that little factoid. :ols:

But with ALL the kickers in college football, it is amazing that there's not 32 kickers that can kick at the NFL level. Or that more teams don't take the best CFL kickers.

The overwhelming majority of college kickers are utterly terrible. Often times it seems that even the good ones just don't have enough range to make it in the NFL.

Because this team, and it's fans, have had NO PATIENCE. It's not in our vocabulary. All we know is "FIX IT NOW, IT''S WRONG"

That's changing as we speak, and people just need to accept it. I think Shanny/Gano made it clear he's not going anywhere this week, when last year, we'd have been trying out kickers already. Although I agree Suisham had to go. Enough was enough. As for Gano..? That was his first 'suisham' moment if you will, on a very wet day. Akers/vinateiri, etc have those days. I'm looking forward to gano simply because he's young, and could be our kicker till 2020. It would be nice to say we had the same guy for 10 years..for a change.

My sense with Suisham is he was a good 1st and 3rd quarter kicker. But if you look at clutch kicks late, his numbers drop. I wonder if stats back up my gut instinct on that.

Totals for 2006-2009 (including his time with Dallas in '09):

1st Quarter: 58.8%

2nd Quarter: 77.7%

3rd Quarter: 80%

4th Quarter: 80.7%

---------- Post added December-13th-2010 at 01:40 PM ----------

That's interesting. You don't happen to have those statistics for prior seasons do you?

Nope. Gathered that data myself. I'll do a post about it when I have time though. It was kind of fun to look that up. Eventually compare it to other stadiums.

Because this team, and it's fans, have had NO PATIENCE. It's not in our vocabulary. All we know is "FIX IT NOW, IT''S WRONG"

You know, I always used to say this exact same thing about this guy...

Although I agree Suisham had to go. Enough was enough.

Suisham wasn't particularly accurate from 40+ when he was here but he had a good leg and still made a good percentage of his kicks. This year he's 6 for 6 from 40+ for the Steelers and made a 41-yard attempt yesterday at Heinz Field, which has a reputation for being one of the more kicker unfriendly stadiums.

That's changing as we speak, and people just need to accept it. I think Shanny/Gano made it clear he's not going anywhere this week, when last year, we'd have been trying out kickers already. Although I agree Suisham had to go. Enough was enough. As for Gano..? That was his first 'suisham' moment if you will, on a very wet day. Akers/vinateiri, etc have those days. I'm looking forward to gano simply because he's young, and could be our kicker till 2020. It would be nice to say we had the same guy for 10 years..for a change.

Suisham had to go, but he's the most accurate kicker in our history and he's doing very well for Pittsburgh now. Seems you were just as guilty for dismissing Suisham as you claim others are for wanting to get rid of Gano. Except Suisham was better ;)

John Hall was so injury prone but for a little he was pretty consistent

Hall might have extended his playing time by not trying to make tackles and get on the next episode of "Jack'd up".

Re: Gano. Dead last in FG pct.in the NFL. The only kicker in the league under 70% accuracy. Only 75% accurate for kicks 39 yards and under. Sign the PK for the Maryland Maniacs, he can't be much worse.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bycategory?cat=Kicking&sort=230

Everyone wants us to get younger. Yet everyone's ready to hound out a 23 year old second year kicker.

News flash people: Young guys make mistakes. Shocking I know, but they do. No excuses for the chip shots missed yesterday. That's inexcusable for any pro kicker. But the kids shown enough to work with (good KO distance, clutch OT winners etc) to finally end the revolving door at a position too often under valued. Kicker's are a VITAL component of any team. Changing them every fricking year or so doesn't fix anything.

Seriously, the swing from anointing him the next Moseley to wanting his head on a stick doesn't bode well for a youth movement everyone claims they want to see. Patience through growing pains and these here boards just don't mix.

Hail.

the instability of the kicker position is a direct reflection of the instability of the organization as a whole for the last 12 years.

Redskins - 10 years, 9 Head Coaches, 13 kickers

Eagles - 10 years, 1 Head Coach, 1 kicker[/QUOTE]

Say what you will about their choking, but the Eagles are stable as hell.

Suisham had to go, but he's the most accurate kicker in our history and he's doing very well for Pittsburgh now. Seems you were just as guilty for dismissing Suisham as you claim others are for wanting to get rid of Gano. Except Suisham was better ;)

I didn't dismiss Suisham till after the NO game. You don't miss extra point distance fgs. Not once. Unless it's raining. Even then it's not awesome, but I'll let Gano have that excuse until he proves otherwise.

I didn't dismiss Suisham till after the NO game. You don't miss extra point distance fgs. Not once. Unless it's raining. Even then it's not awesome, but I'll let Gano have that excuse until he proves otherwise.

Bull****. It is entirely unreasonable to expect a kicker to make every single attempt from any arbitrary distance, even the game's great ones will miss on a chip shot every once in a blue moon. You can reasonably expect a kicker to make 95% of his kicks under 30 yards and that is exactly what Suisham did in Washington.

Eh, it's more of a sign of the times. Kickers have become stronger, more athletic and more agile since back in the day. Moseley was one of the best kickers in the league back when he played.

Of all of our kickers who attempted 30 or more field goals, here's how they rank.

1. Shaun Suisham: 80.2%

2. John Hall: 78.3%

3. Brett Conway: 75.4%

4. Scott Blanton: 73.3%

5. Eddie Murray: 72.9%

6. Graham Gano: 72.2%

7. Chip Lohmiller: 71.4%

8. Mark Moseley: 66.2%

Moseley attempted far more than anyone else... But, of this list, he's 8th in our history.

Interesting, Moseley wouldn't even be in the top 100 most accurate kickers of all time. But in his era, he's probably in the top 5 or close to it. Just goes to show how the game evolves just like you say. A kicker today wouldn't last 2 weeks missing 1 out of every 3 kicks.

Bull****. It is entirely unreasonable to expect a kicker to make every single attempt from any arbitrary distance, even the game's great ones will miss on a chip shot every once in a blue moon. You can reasonably expect a kicker to make 95% of his kicks under 30 yards and that is exactly what Suisham did in Washington.

Ok well that's what I meant really. Sorry for exaggerating, just trying to drive the point home. Suishams miss vs NO's was as 'choky' and untimely as it gets so he had to go.

Edit: Wiki is wrong... Akers' two misses were from 49 and 48 yards (not 50+), against the Seattle Seahawks at the Kingdome on September 20, 1998. The Redskins lost the game 24-14, and lost a kicker for the next decade.

I don't remember that game, but looking at the score, those two kicks wouldn't have won the game anyways, unless the Seabirds scored off the short field.

Archived