Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worst Skins Season Ever?

1972dodgedart

No, not this one . . . just asking generally . . .lots of candidates, but my vote goes to the Richie Petitbon 3-13 debacle, the funeral for the first Gibbs era. Sheer misery almost every week with zero entertainment value, culminating in one of the worst games ever at RFK (Jets 3, Skins 0 -- feel free to kick me if my memory is wrong).

Last year, bar none. It was the only season that I can remember where I was honestly surprised if we won. The only bright spot in that season was Orakpo's coming out party.

And then, to highlight it all:

Of1Xgzot3-Q

The only time I've ever hoped an opposing team scored on us, in my life.

Depends on what you define "worst" as.

If you've followed my Historical Rankings that I've been posting on this site, it's the 1954 Washington Redskins.

I did the rankings by Offensive to Defensive Differential in different categories. Got their rank through 77 seasons of Redskins football in each category, and tallied up their total in ranking points. The lowest will be #1. The highest was #77 (There were actually 78 teams, but I could find no defensive statistics for the first year of the Boston Redskins). #77 turned out to be the 1954 Skins coached by Joe Kuharich.

Here are the rankings:

Record: 3-9 (25%). Ranked 68th.

Yards: -1673 yards. Ranked 77th. (Dead last)

Pass Yards: -1411. Ranked 77th. (Dead last)

Pass TD: -18. Ranked 76th.

INT: -14. Ranked 77th. (Dead last)

Rush Yards: -262. Ranked 54th.

Rush TD: -11. Ranked 72nd.

Turnovers: -19. Ranked 75th.

Total: 653. Ranked 77th (Dead last)

Last year, bar none. It was the only season that I can remember where I was honestly surprised if we won. The only bright spot in that season was Orakpo's coming out party.

And then, to highlight it all:

Of1Xgzot3-Q

The only time I've ever hoped an opposing team scored on us, in my life.

Jim Zorn should have been fired at halftime of that game.

I go with last year.

Swinging gate. Every week a new story about Sndyer's douchiness. The bingo caller.

The skins suck this year, but they aren't a laughingstock. Pettibone's year I can't go with either....everyone knew that team was ancient, and that a rebuilding was in order. Plus we were only 2 years removed from the Super Bowl.

Thanks -- I meant "worst" in terms of being the hardest to watch -- doesn't have to be the worst statistically.

I'd guess that '54 team would have been pretty difficult to watch with those numbers :ols:

But, of all the teams I've seen... I remember '93 fairly well for being 9. That was painful. But '09 and so far this year have been painful.

But '09 and so far this year have been painful.

I think a lot of the pain this year is just residual from last year. I mean last year changed my Skins fandom. It took a lot out of me. I never felt disgust and shame in a team like that before (and I'm a HUGE Wizards fan). Last year was the first time in my entire life where I actually skipped games. I lost the passion. I've gotten some of it back--understanding and accepting that we're rebuilding helps--but I'm still not to where I was. Hopefully it returns.

Agree -- I meant "worst" in terms of being the hardest to watch -- doesn't have to be the worst statistically -- the Snyder era has many clunkers but the talk radio has made my commute bearable. No such luck with Richie.

WTEM started in 1992 as the first all-sports talk station in DC. After the home Giants game in 1993 in which we got blown out to fall to 1-4, I remember being surprised by the level of vitriol towards the team.

Since I've been a Skins fan, I'd agree that it was the Petitbon year. Consider this: that season we scored 10 points or LESS in 10 out of the 16 games.

In fairness to Petitbon, most of the blame for that year falls squarely on Casserly, who left him with a TERRIBLE roster. This was the first year of the salary cap, and the Skins under JKC always had the highest payroll in the NFL. We were 40% over what the cap limit was when it came out, so there was a mass exodus of players, as well as an inordinate amount of injuries.

1994, turners 1st year, no wins at rfk. dont blame the bad on fedup (fedex)!!!! the bad started once gibbs retired the 1st time. it really hasnt stopped too long.

---------- Post added December-12th-2010 at 10:10 PM ----------

Definitely last year.

I'd like to hear some older fan's opinion on last year. The embarrassment was the worst part, and this year is creeping up on that level.

what sad about this year is the home record... this current crew can only TIE last years home record now.

93 - setting the table:

Superbowl 91,

'92 9-7 (after a 6-3 start) with a big time playoff win

'93 3-13. Rypien (only played 12 games but still) 4 TD passes ALL YEAR, bottom 5 in the league in offense and defense.

I didn't understand then that it was over and that our dynasty was gone and now, looking back, that was what made it the worst season - as it was the end of the good times

In fairness to Petitbon, most of the blame for that year falls squarely on Casserly, who left him with a TERRIBLE roster. This was the first year of the salary cap, and the Skins under JKC always had the highest payroll in the NFL. We were 40% over what the cap limit was when it came out, so there was a mass exodus of players, as well as an inordinate amount of injuries.

Blame Gibbs first, then Casserly. Gibbs had the power in that relationship. The roster Richie inherited was Gibbs' doing first and foremost.

Also 93 was not the first year of the cap. It was the first year of free agency but there was no cap (hence the reason the Skins pursued Reggie White). The cap came the next year.

For me the worst seasons are 93, 06 and 09 but 10 can still crack that top 3 in the next 3 weeks.

Archived