Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worst Skins Season Ever?

1972dodgedart

No, not this one . . . just asking generally . . .lots of candidates, but my vote goes to the Richie Petitbon 3-13 debacle, the funeral for the first Gibbs era. Sheer misery almost every week with zero entertainment value, culminating in one of the worst games ever at RFK (Jets 3, Skins 0 -- feel free to kick me if my memory is wrong).

Was the Petitbon season the one in which we lost to the Jets 0-3? I'd agree that that season was most notably the worst. Zorn's last year comes close.

Definitely the Petitbon year, followed closely by Spurrier's second year, followed closely by last year.

Just remembering that guy on the sidelines with that playt menu hanging down under his gut is enough to make me want to go back to bed.

~BAng

I'd have to go with 93 as well. That was just an awful team. And as a fan for the previous 22 years, it was a huge blow to be out of the playoff race so early in the season.

Which brings me to a thought I had last night. I've been a fan since 1971.

For the first 20 years, I spent most Decembers rooting for teams involved in the NFC playoff race to lose in order to help Skins either make playoffs or improve seed.

For most of the last 20, I've spent Decembers rooting for teams ahead of Skins in draft order to WIN.

Yikes. Been a rough 20 years.

For some reason this year seems to be s had as it has been in awhile. With all the changes the team sucked me back into believing we may be able to compete for the first time in years....shame on me. The ole' ballcoaches year was horrible, but this one will leave a mark. All of the drama, changes and yet the same results.

I agree. This year will certainly be indelibly bad. I can't wait for it to be over.

So many to choose from:

1993 with only 4 wins...

1994 with only 3 wins and a new QB

1998 - going 0-8 to start the season

2003 - high hopes dashed to a 5-11 finish

2004 & 2006 - just bad teams with a HOF Coach

2009 - The Embarassment

2010 - The Embarassment 2 with a better QB, GM and coach (supposedly)

The continual embarassments on MNF, no matter the season are pretty tough to take too...

Depends on what you define "worst" as.

If you've followed my Historical Rankings that I've been posting on this site, it's the 1954 Washington Redskins.

I did the rankings by Offensive to Defensive Differential in different categories. Got their rank through 77 seasons of Redskins football in each category, and tallied up their total in ranking points. The lowest will be #1. The highest was #77 (There were actually 78 teams, but I could find no defensive statistics for the first year of the Boston Redskins). #77 turned out to be the 1954 Skins coached by Joe Kuharich.

Here are the rankings:

Record: 3-9 (25%). Ranked 68th.

Yards: -1673 yards. Ranked 77th. (Dead last)

Pass Yards: -1411. Ranked 77th. (Dead last)

Pass TD: -18. Ranked 76th.

INT: -14. Ranked 77th. (Dead last)

Rush Yards: -262. Ranked 54th.

Rush TD: -11. Ranked 72nd.

Turnovers: -19. Ranked 75th.

Total: 653. Ranked 77th (Dead last)

Glad I wasn't around to see that, or that 73-0 massacre that happened a long time ago.

Archived