Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Metrodome roof collapses under snow

HapHaszard

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/22840/metrodome-roof-collapses-under-snow

The inflatable Teflon roof of the Metrodome in Minneapolis has collapsed under the weight of snow after a heavy storm passed through Saturday.

Bill Lester, the executive director of the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, said Sunday morning that the stadium is unlikely to be ready in time for kickoff on Monday night.

click on the link

---------- Post added December-12th-2010 at 10:07 AM ----------

Now what happens? Giants and Minnie get a bye? or play somewhere else on Monday?

the game may get moved back to the Meadowlands...

The Giants will get a 9th home game like in 2005.

EDIT: check that, now they are saying U of Minnesota stadium

Honestly, I think this will be one of the first real tests of the NFL's willingness to postpone a game due to cold. Not lightning, not stadium damage, but cold. Because if I heard a guy on the NFL Network correctly, the temperature at UofM's stadium is supposed to be -10 tomorrow night, combined with a wind chill of -25. You can't have players outside in that kind of extreme weather. You're legitimately risking the amputation of fingers and toes due to hypothermia. If those numbers are correct, the idea has to be a no-go.

Honestly, I think this will be one of the first real tests of the NFL's willingness to postpone a game due to cold. Not lightning, not stadium damage, but cold. Because if I heard a guy on the NFL Network correctly, the temperature at UofM's stadium is supposed to be -10 tomorrow night, combined with a wind chill of -25. You can't have players outside in that kind of extreme weather. You're legitimately risking the amputation of fingers and toes due to hypothermia. If those numbers are correct, the idea has to be a no-go.

Players were outside in that kind of weather all the time in Minnesota before the Metrodome was built.

This isn't baseball.

Players have played in worse weather...

How would they deal with tickets if the game is played in a different stadium? If they did play it at the U here, do 15,000 season ticket holders just get the call that they can't go? haha

And if it's at Detroit or some other city, how do they know how many extra tickets they should sell to make up for non season ticket holders?

This could be a key turning point for a new outdoor football stadium for the Vikings. Maybe not now, but several years from now looking back on this game.

There are design proposals floating which call for a total renovation of the dome by tearing off the roof and adding suites around the top of the upper deck, thus making it a permanant outdoor facility.The dome will be fine in a week, I'm just sayin long term. Renovation is looking like a much more cost effective plan to keeping the Vikings in Minn.

How would they deal with tickets if the game is played in a different stadium? If they did play it at the U here, do 15,000 season ticket holders just get the call that they can't go? haha

Well consider the fact that if they do play at TCF Bank, a lot of people won't want to go, especially season ticket holders accustomed to dome football. The seating difference is about 13,300. How many season ticket holders do the Vikings have?

Well consider the fact that if they do play at TCF Bank, a lot of people won't want to go, especially season ticket holders accustomed to dome football. The seating difference is about 13,300. How many season ticket holders do the Vikings have?

I dunno how many season ticket holders they have, but I'd assume it's more than 50k. I was just curious as to what the process would be.

I disagree about a lot of people not wanting to go to an outside game though.

Okay, so :dunce: but what would happen if they were to play with the roof collapsed? Would the whole stadium implode or something?

---------- Post added December-12th-2010 at 12:54 PM ----------

Holy crap, the game at Ford Field's gonna be free. Ticketholders of today's game get preferred 50-yd line seating,

Archived