Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Sally Jenkins; The Redskins couldn't make Albert Haynesworth care.

WhoRUSupposed2Be

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/07/AR2010120707586.html

The Redskins couldn't make Albert Haynesworth care

By Sally Jenkins

Tuesday, December 7, 2010; 10:37 PM

Get this straight: there is no "managing" Albert Haynesworth. There is no way to make this guy perform. No amount of coaxing, or cute psychological ploys, can make him play hard for the Redskins. No concession can soothe his swollen ego, and no scheme will make him happy. Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan was absolutely right to suspend Haynesworth without pay for the last four games of the season. It was that, or become his doormat.

This week, Haynesworth turned in one of his worst practices to date. It was so bad that Shanahan called him into his office. "We've got to pick up the pace," Shanahan warned Haynesworth. "To give yourself a chance to play well on the weekend, you have to have a better practice." Now, you might expect one of the highest paid defensive players in the NFL to bear down, what with the playoffs on the line. Instead, Haynesworth was unresponsive. The next day, guess what? He didn't practice at all. He said he felt sick.

The Haynesworth apologists will say there are two sides to this story. But there aren't. There is only one: Haynesworth is the very definition of "conduct detrimental to the team." He's a daily affront to every dedicated player in the locker room, out to do the least amount of work while collecting the most amount of money. He cheats on his contract and he cheats his teammates. Indolence is written all over him, and so is insubordination.

"Let's be honest, this is an easy decision," Shanahan said in a phone interview Tuesday evening. "This isn't even hard. When I get rid of a guy, I do it because it's in the best interest of the team, and I consider everybody."

Haynesworth's agent, Chad Speck, claims the reasons the Redskins have given for the suspension "are vague and without merit." Actually, we've seen the reasons, time and again, all over the big screen. We've all seen Haynesworth riding carts off the field with a towel on his head, or resting on one knee. We all saw him lying face down in the grass and refusing to get up against the Philadelphia Eagles, while the play was still going on. We saw the picture of him in the Tap Room late Thursday night, when he was well enough to have a drink.[/Quote]

*Click Link For Rest*

I'm convinced that we have the right man for the job.

Mike Shanahan, sad to say, put up with what a lot of NFL coaches wouldn't have put up with. If it was Bill Parcells, Haynesworth would have gotten waived before training camp. If it was Joe Gibbs, Haynesworth would have been traded before he was due the $21 million dollar bonus. If it was Mike Ditka, Haynesworth would have gotten a fat lip. Albert Haynesworth strained his relationship with his head coach, and the team. London Fletcher had it right when he accused Fat Albert of being selfish. Ray Lewis, not even a player on the Redskins, had it right when he said back in the Spring time that Haynesworth was disrespecting the game of football by taking the huge check and not working out with the team. I'm glad he's gone.

Coache(s), players, commentators, reporters; all with first hand details....all comment on Haynesworth's malfeasance and lack of caring.

Yet there is a small contingent of people in here who side with AH and blame Shanny in this despite never sniffing the locker room.

I simply do not get it.

I guess people love seeing this team mired in a perpetual state of suck.

SJ saying more positive things about the team, siding with the coach??? This definitely needs to go in the "Have you seen signs of the Apocalypse" thread.....

That, or maybe we are running our team more like the other 31 teams work? Maybe the negative articles were justified and someone who is looking at it more objectively than we do can notice that we're doing more of the right things as a professional football organization. I do notice though, that some of the main detractors in the past are siding with the organization more and more. I don't really care what the media says, but it is encouraging.

---------- Post added December-8th-2010 at 10:06 AM ----------

What's malfeasance? Are you talking about the time he failed the conditioning test because he had to go poop?

It's a wrongful act. You could make the argument that there have been a handful of these acts...and actually failing the conditioning test itself isn't really malfeasance, more a symptom of it.

He didn't show up for a mandatory team event (albeit, it was just one...the rest of the activities he skipped were voluntary, in his defense). He has refused to play in certain schemes (defying coaches). He's been late to meetings and practices. He's now refused to speak to his head coach.

I have a newfound respect for Sally Jenkins. I used to think that she would just bash for the sake of bashing the Redskins, but after this article it's clear that's not the case.

She is SPOT ON with this article, and anybody who has read her piece and disagrees is just being contrary for the sake of being contrary.

I challenge all of you to watch what happens with Haynesworth from here on out with his career. He will never play on a championship team.

It's a wrongful act. You could make the argument that there have been a handful of these acts...and actually failing the conditioning test itself isn't really malfeasance, more a symptom of it.

So malfeasanace is like... bad faeces? Failing the conditioning test because he had to make a poop.

A handful of Albert's faeces? That's disgusting.

So malfeasanace is like... bad faeces? Failing the conditioning test because he had to make a poop.

Or failing a conditioning test because he didn't take a poop before he went out there.

I don't know about you, but I don't think I've ever excused myself from an important business function of mine because i needed to go twosies.

Say, speaking of ... maybe Sally's been right all along, and we have just been so conditioned to dookie that we didn't want to hear it.

~Bang

This quote says it all IMO:

"I've been doing this a long time and one thing you know is you want players committed to your team," Shanahan says. "Playing for each other, and not for themselves. Playing to do the best they can to help the team win. They're all different. Some won't practice when they're feeling bad, and some will. Some will give you everything on every play. And it's my job to make sure to put best team together, people who are committed to each other. The teams I've been on that won Super Bowls, that won championships, they have one thing in common. They knew how to win, and the team was made up of the right people."

Or failing a conditioning test because he didn't take a poop before he went out there.

I don't know about you, but I don't think I've ever excused myself from an important business function of mine because i needed to go twosies.

~Bang

....so you were "prairie dogging" it the whole time during the meeting? come on man....:ols: :doh:

Does anyone else notice that Sally Jenkins only rears her oversized head when there is something extra-negative to report on?

A. I think she has been pretty spot on recently.

B. She has written several positive articles this season.

C. I took this article as positive about the way the coach/team have handled it.

Does anyone else notice that Sally Jenkins only rears her oversized head when there is something extra-negative to report on?

I used to be you, but I have come to see her in a different light now. I just think she knew have ****ed up things were at Redskins park, and now I give her credit for seeing how things are changing.

To me it's plainly obvious that we can't cut the guy because of his massive contract. So let that be a lesson to the front office for future negotiations: No matter how good a player is, DO NOT tender a contract that leaves the team with no recourse but to put up with this BS!

Sally must have some sort of crush on Shanny, because her articles have been on point lately.
SJ saying more positive things about the team, siding with the coach??? This definitely needs to go in the "Have you seen signs of the Apocalypse" thread.....

Yea, when I read the article, I had to keep looking at the authors name to make sure it was Sally Jenkins.

Of course, but thats what sells, sad state as it is.

Same with the message board.

Look at the threads that have a negative title and you will see alot more responses then those with a positive aspect.

If it was Joe Gibbs, Haynesworth would have been traded before he was due the $21 million dollar bonus.

I have a hard time believing that.

To me it's plainly obvious that we can't cut the guy because of his massive contract. So let that be a lesson to the front office for future negotiations: No matter how good a player is, DO NOT tender a contract that leaves the team with no recourse but to put up with this BS!

Actually, we can cut him at any time with minimal impact to the team's operations. Snyder might be miffed that he spent all that money on a nutcase but the contract ceased to be a burden when Haynesworth got his 21 million dollar check this offseason.

We haven't cut the guy up to this point because we have a coach who knows damn well the type of talent #92 is and was hoping he could either get him to produce on the field or receive fair compensation for him. We're not paying him for the rest of this season so we might as well just sit on him until we have time to figure out what to do about him.

Archived