Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskin fans, there is hope through the draft, the Eagles did it

brdawk20

I know you're down on your team right now, but one or two solid drafts can work wonders. Take a look at the Eagles, for example. When Reid came on board, he pretty much had a team with a few up and coming players (Brian Dawkins, Tra Thomas, Jeremiah Trotter, Duce Staley, Bobby Taylor) and little else. He started to cut aging vets. His first draft he got only one player--McNabb. His second draft, only Corey Simon. But he bulit around the core with a few free agent signings (Jon Runyon, for one, giving his two solid tackles).

In 2002 he hit a home run. Brian Westbrook, Lito Sheppard, Michael Lewis, and Sheldon Brown. All made the pro bowl or multiple pro bowls. That draft--that one draft-- set him up for the Super Bowl run of 2004 more than any other. That draft filled a lot of holes.

Reid continued to find decent value in later rounds. 2005, Todd Herremans (rd 4), Trent Cole (rd 5), along with Mike Patterson. 2006, Jason Avant (rd 4), Omar Gaither (rd 5). Also, he got Broderick Bunkley that year, along with Winston Justice. Justice stunk, but they didn't give up--they coached him up. It paid off big last year, and now he is solid. In 2007, people laughed when he took Kevin Kolb. He also got Stewart Bradley and Brent Celek that year. Solid players. 2008? He went where many did not and took Deshawn Jackson. He also got Trevor Laws and Mike McGlynn, two good back ups. 2009? Jeremy Maclin and LeShawn McCoy, along with a 7th round player, Moise Fokou. Oh yeah, he took a chance on some guy named Michael Vick. too.

I did not mention about 12 players who hung on for 2-4 years, providing service for the team. Not great players, but the kind of competent fillers needed for a team.

Get one great draft and keep filling in pieces. The Eagles did it, and have been a pretty good team most of Reid's career. The Redskins are much in the same position that Reid was in when he took over. There is no reason why the Redskins can't do the same.

Hail, my respected NFC enemy.

As for now, Washington has one of the oldest teams, if not the oldest, in the league. The thing the Redskins have to start doing is drafting young talent coming right out of college. Every team will always need to use free agency to fill some holes, but that is no way to build a team. The Redskins have to draft, draft, draft. Luckily for 2011 the Redskins will have their 1st and 2nd round picks and I'm sure they'll get superb talent where it is needed. In my opinion, it's needed at right tackle, where Jamaal Brown and Stephen Heyer just aren't getting the job done. Since they drafted at LT last year in round one, they need to compliment the RT position at least within the first two rounds of the draft. The Redskins haven't had a solid RT since John Jansen who in my opinion should have never been released. They were able to draft a good talent in Trent Williams and he's picked up where Chris Samuels left off, and now they need to draft a young RT to pick up where Jon Jansen left off.

As much as we hate the Eagles BRDAWK20 is right. I mean its not rocket science to build thru the draft but he's right because the Eagles were built slowly but steadily and honestly they HIT on so many draft choices in rounds 2 and beyond.

The difference between the 6-10 teams and the winning teams is the ability to hit gold with guys that you draft in Rounds 2 and beyond. First, you must have the picks...secondly, you choose wisely.

The Eagles are set up very nicely right now and for them snagging a FA or two to fill a need is the way to go...rather than sign a fat daddy to a monster contract (regardless of position) and hope he pulls your team out of the garbage can on his own.

I think Orakpo and TW are good building blocks but the Skins need MUCH more.

unfortunately the Redskins don't have a full draft until 2012.

a second consideration is WHO is making the picks? :)

I don't see a Scott Pioli or Ted Thompson in the front office pulling the trigger on a Logan Mankins or Aaron Rodgers selection.

This is so depressing but true

unfortunately the Redskins don't have a full draft until 2012.

a second consideration is WHO is making the picks? :)

I don't see a Scott Pioli or Ted Thompson in the front office pulling the trigger on a Logan Mankins or Aaron Rodgers selection.

Shanny needs to have his boys "The Goodmans" on speed dial...Hopefully he can finally get them on board at the end of the season.

Michael Vick, Jason Peters, Asante Samuel, Dimitri Patterson, Ernie Sims, Owen Schmitt and David Akers.

All Eagles starters acquired through Free Agency or trade. And several of them are kinda sorta important starters to boot.

No team is built solely though the draft or free agency. To believe otherwise is wrong.

We currently have our 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7th round choices. We should get either a 5-7 from New Orleans in regards to the Jamaal Brown trade, which looks increasingly like a 5th (from Draft Insiders: http://www.draftinsiders.com/node/35)

(Washington gets either a 5th, 6th or 7th round pick from New Orleans to complete deal for OT Jammal Brown. Philadelphia will receive Washington's 3rd round pick and New Orleans with get the Redskins #4 pick if the Redskins either win 9 games or make to the playoffs this coming season or if QB Donovan McNabb is voted to the Pro Bowl. If those conditions aren't met then New Orleans will get the Redskins 3rd round pick Philadelphia gets their #4 pick. If New Orleans gets Washington's 3rd round pick then the Redskins will get a 5th rounder to complete the deal. If the Saints only get the Redskins #4 pick then Washington gets a 6th or 7th rounder to complete the deal)

We apparently still have a conditional pick coming to us from the Justin Tryon trade to Indy as well. So 1, 2, 5, 5, 6, 7 and another conditional on top. I think I did all that right...

Or, we could be like the Lions and have multiple 1st round picks year in and year out and still suck.

The Lions are THIS close to being a force in this conference. Another top-3 pick, unfortunately, will help that along even more.

This is probably all dependent on Matt Stafford staying healthy, but that's not a bad team. I envy the Lions roster.

---------- Post added December-8th-2010 at 01:15 PM ----------

We need picks and lots of them. I would not be surpirsed to see some of our current and popular players getting traded away for some picks next year.

I hope that it happens. I'd love it, for fair compensation.

I know you're down on your team right now, but one or two solid drafts can work wonders.......

Hail, my respected NFC enemy.

Honestly, that was one of the nicest posts from an opposing fan I've ever read. Thanks.

I can no longer blindly hate on Eagles fans. At least not you anyway. ;)

We currently have our 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7th round choices. We should get either a 5-7 from New Orleans in regards to the Jamaal Brown trade, which looks increasingly like a 5th (from Draft Insiders: http://www.draftinsiders.com/node/35)

(Washington gets either a 5th, 6th or 7th round pick from New Orleans to complete deal for OT Jammal Brown. Philadelphia will receive Washington's 3rd round pick and New Orleans with get the Redskins #4 pick if the Redskins either win 9 games or make to the playoffs this coming season or if QB Donovan McNabb is voted to the Pro Bowl. If those conditions aren't met then New Orleans will get the Redskins 3rd round pick Philadelphia gets their #4 pick. If New Orleans gets Washington's 3rd round pick then the Redskins will get a 5th rounder to complete the deal. If the Saints only get the Redskins #4 pick then Washington gets a 6th or 7th rounder to complete the deal)

We apparently still have a conditional pick coming to us from the Justin Tryon trade to Indy as well. So 1, 2, 5, 5, 6, 7 and another conditional on top. I think I did all that right...

I think we can get that 4th back by dealing Haynesworth. Talent-wise, he's probably worth a 2nd or 3rd, but attitude-wise, he's not worth ****.

The Lions are THIS close to being a force in this conference. Another top-3 pick, unfortunately, will help that along even more.

This is probably all dependent on Matt Stafford staying healthy, but that's not a bad team. I envy the Lions roster.

---------- Post added December-8th-2010 at 01:15 PM ----------

I hope that it happens. I'd love it, for fair compensation.

Yeah the Lions are going to break out if Stafford stays healthy. They have a talented defensive line and are a good passing team. They've also been competitive in almost every game they've been in.

I understand why Shanahan was hired' date=' but my concern is that there is no way he is going to have the patience to build a team this way. Does he really want to be coaching a young, up and coming team at age 60?[/quote']

Hopefully there is a bit of vision somewhere down the line. If there isn't a current replacement on roster than maybe we'll get someone who will take the current system in stride as opposed to doing a 180? I'm being way too optimistic in that regard, I know. But I'm judging Shanny based off of what he's done so far and while it hasn't all been great it's still a big step in the right direction, IMO. I will begin to judge more harshly come this offseason, and there's really no sense on worrying on anything past that point.

It is to early to say what to draft in the first rd. If in Free agency we end up getting a Logan Mankin type Olinemen, then I think you have to go either WR or BPA on defense. I would give Brown another year, he had a bad injury and alot of times you see it take a year back before players get all the way back. Plus he will have had a year in the system. As for Shanny and rebuilding, remember in his last year in Denver he had the youngest starting offense in the NFL and they were dynamic so i do think he will go that way at times.

This is part of the problem were in now, not wanting to totally rebuild but patching spots through FA's and maybe a good draft pick here and there.

I just want to see how we approach the next upcoming draft. If no QB is taken and I think the Shanny's are banking on Beck to possibly come around sometime soon. Otherwise were really stuck again on the QB position IMO.

Lions may suck now but remember they've beaten us two yers in a row and the games they've loss haven't been buy much. philly didn't post 56 points on them. We need to follw in there footsteps and the bucs and the rams. They have very good young talent and just need the NFL experience to bring it all together. it will take a few years most likely if we do a complete rebuild holding on to a fe wkey players and building around them; however, the Redskins will reemerge atop the NFL once again.

Michael Vick, Jason Peters, Asante Samuel, Dimitri Patterson, Ernie Sims, Owen Schmitt and David Akers.

All Eagles starters acquired through Free Agency or trade. And several of them are kinda sorta important starters to boot.

No team is built solely though the draft or free agency. To believe otherwise is wrong.

True, but the core of their team is built through the draft. D-Jax, Maclin, McCoy, Celek, Bradley, Bunkley, Gaither, etc. The list goes on.

They use free agency/trade the way you're supposed to...as a supplement to your existing core, not to build around like this franchise does every year.

Archived