Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tony Washington: Sex offender in the NFL? Your opinions.

Son of Gadsden

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Most of you have heard of him, some haven't. Tony Washington is an Offensive Tackle who played with a lot of success in college and was projected to be drafted in the second round of the 2010 draft. It never happened. Turns out Washington is a registered sex offender. His charge? Incest. He had sex with his sister when he was 16 and she was 15. Growing up in nothing short of the ghetto in New Orleans with a runaway father and not much of a mother the kid got beat up a lot, went through some things no child should ever have to go through. Any kid going through that kinda stuff has thoughts running through their head that don't always make sense. He claims he and his sister just had sex one day, consensual. Not that it matters but there was no romantic relationship, the two never have kissed or any of that. They claim they were experimenting. Adding to the case, his sister claims she was put under pressure by the NOPD to admit to a lot of things that weren't true. One of those things including that her brother raped her unwillingly. She claims they held her for several hours at age 15, and said that she could leave when she confessed, so she just said whatever they wanted to hear so she could leave (i should add in that she was taken in for suspicion of prostitution).

Should this guy's life be ruined by this one action when he was 16? Sure, its weird, but while we're at it, should incest even be a freakin crime? Honestly, i didnt know it was. I dont have a sister or anything but i wouldnt screw my cousins or anything...its freakin weird. His case is also currently under review because there is debate as to whether he should have been tried as an adult (he was). Obviously, he shouldnt have been. Seriously, if we are held accountable for the rest of our lives over something we did when we were 16, we would all be in prison trying to talk the guards into putting the Skins on instead of being on ES. What makes what this guy did at 16 any worse than what Roethlisberger did as an adult? The guy has turned his life around and passed all the psyche tests that were thrown at him.

Now that we've been over his crime, the guy is an excellent OT. We are in desperate need of more OT's, G's, and a C. The debate is the guy is a sex offender so the distraction he would cause would be huge. Well shanny obviously doesnt mind distractions, because he benched our future HOF QB against the lions on the last drive....called him out of shape....then brought in JaMarcus Russell. This guy deserves a shot, and we need him as bad as he needs us. But not just concentrated on the skins, i dont want this to be a "should we" thread, this is mostly about whether or not it is fair or not that this guy hasnt been picked. My opinion, its ridiculous.

So would you be happy if the skins signed him, pass on him and let someone else sign him, or do you think he'll never play for the NFL anyway?

If he is truly good enough to sign then I dont see his mistake as that big of a deal. Besides it was consensual and both parties admint it was a mistake. As you pointed out his circumstances growing up were very tough and I for one can see past his one mistake.

I wouldn't mind it in principle, but I wonder how he would adjust to the stress of the NFL... not judging him, but it sounds like things he went through not all that long ago could have lasting psychological effects that might hinder a professional football career. Although, it sounds like he did have some success in college...

I read the espn story on him a while ago, it's pretty depressing. He had a watch party during the draft and got shot down each round. He's begging for a shot, and if we get him, he would play his heart out.

As far as what he did, yeah it seems messed up, but when kids don't have parents to raise them, this is the type of stuff that happens.

I can't believe this guy just put homosexuality on the same level as incest. Even for an internet message board that is incredibly distasteful. Incest is illegal because if you reproduce with a family member it will surely produce a child with tons of physical and mental health problems that will give the child no chance at a normal life. Homosexuality doesn't hurt anybody except bigots, rednecks, and religious fanatics (their feelings at least).

Kids do stupid things even with good parenting, it's part of being a kid and growing up... when you take away the parent aspect there's no end to stupid things kids can find to do, and this was obviously one of them. Everything about this situation screams failure by the courts to punish him.

As a side note, I think the "sex offender" term gets applied way too easily to too many situations, which waters down the term and makes it harder to determine who you really should be concerned about.

Sign him now.

If he can play, I don't care. Hell, Ray Lewis, Leonard Little, Donte Stallworth, Adam Jones should all be serving significant jail sentences, Mike Vick did serve one, and no one has thought twice about them b/c they can play. What Washington did is weird and kinda gross, but is far less a crime than the previously mentioned offenders.

Wait, did you just equate being gay and incest? WTF, man?

Back on topic, I read the article about him. The poor kid had an abusive and awful childhood and he and his sister made a consensual mistake years ago. If he can play football, get him the hell in here. Forgive and forget, live and let live, etc.

He had sex with his sister.............i see no difference in that and someone being gay.......yet being gay is somehow socially acceptable now.

:doh:

Please tell me your joking or please explain the similarities because for the life of me I can't see it.

Please tell me your joking or please explain the similarities because for the life of me I can't see it.

That had me in a "WTF?" moment too.If that's not bigoted right there I don't know what is. Which is a shame as the premise of the OP was a good one worth debating.

I'd have no problem at all with him being here. I don't see why the dude should continue to be punished for something he both did as a kid in effect, and something that was consensual between the pair of them. It's an "unfortunate", if totally innocent mistake they both made, and sadly the stigma will doubtless stick with him such is the moralistic society we live in. But he shouldn't be punished and deprived to earn the best living he can through the folly of youthful lust.

Hail.

well i removed the sentence, because it was more of a rambling on of the topic than a point i care to make.

but since its been brought up ill defend my statement. The idea of birth defects is an obvious reason as to why its considered wrong (besides the ew factor). But, homosexuals engaging in sexual activity cause all kinds of health problems, and 54% of AIDS cases in the US involve homosexuality. Also, its debatable as to the psychological problems with having two same-sex parents have on children if adopted. As i said, i am as grossed out by incest as everyone else, but i dont think it should be a crime. At what point does the government have the right to step in and restrict sexual activity of its citizens? (As long as it doesnt include a minor and an adult of course) To me, two 15 year old siblings have a stupid idea, have sex....and one goes to jail for a while and has to tell all his neighbors he's a sex offender for the rest of his life? Cant get a job, cant live near a school...REALLY? To me its just an invasion of peoples rights, if people want to act stupid and weird, they ought to be allowed to. Being gay certainly doesnt hurt anyone, but neither does incest unless they have a kid...which can be debated with adoption and homosexuality. So i guess my point is, if the government is going to infringe on people's right and sexual activity, where does it stop? Where exactly is the line that we dont cross. If you're going to get involved then you get into exceptions like this. Is his case unconstitutional? i would say so. Suppose the girl is incapable of having kids? Then who are they hurting? This is why things like this should be left alone. I hold an opinion in this matter, as i am entitled to it. My opinion is based on facts ive put together and based a belief off of, not ignorance of bigotry. I dont think homosexuals should be restricted from activity either.

ANYWAY, this wasnt the point of this post and if we get all poltical, its likely a mod will come in an shut it down, so i deleted that part of the post.

Whatever happened to Selvish Capers?

Can this guy play guard? I think there should have been an answer in your poll that says "I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a try-out".

Capers is on our practice squad.

I think this guy is worth a look. If he can play he deserves a chance.

Archived