Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question: How big a lead should a team have, before the play-calling and scheme shifts to "conservative"

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

We talk a lot about "conservative" play-calling, and playing "not to lose." We have all seen games, many with the Redskins, and many from other teams where a given team is winning by 10 or 14 points, sometimes less, and then they are perceived to go into "conservative" mode, or "ball control" mode. This perceived adjustment usually happens right after half time with the team up, or early to midway through the third quarter.

Many times we have seen teams that try to execute this kind of game plan end up losing the game, because the opposing offense starts lighting it up, and the given defense just can't contain them.

How big a lead is safe enough in your opinion, for a team to start tying to execute a "conservative" "ball control" "play not to lose" game plan?

Never , Ever, like they said to us after getting mauled by the Pats a few years back, if you can't stop em, don't complain.

Bingo never let up on the pedal even if you put your 2nd string in don't just stop playing go all out. I know that doesn't sound like the perfect sportsmanlike thing to say but still if you don't want to be embarrassed, then stop them

I've come to the conclusion that most fans seem to think conservative play calling is just calling plays that don't work. I know on this board several times I've heard people ****ing about play conservative play calling when the plays called were anything but and celebrating the aggressive play calling when the calls were very conservative.

I've come to the conclusion that most fans seem to think conservative play calling is just calling plays that don't work. I know on this board several times I've heard people ****ing about play conservative play calling when the plays called were anything but and celebrating the aggressive play calling when the calls were very conservative.

Also I wonder what makes a play call conservative? If you have a 21 point lead you don't have to throw 50 yards downfield but does that mean a 20 yard pass is aggressive? It's very objective.

Never. Any team can make a comeback at any time. You need to keep the pressure on and play the game like you're losing by 7 with 2 minutes left. It is the only way to do it. Now of course there are situational things. I'm not saying you go deep with 1:30 left in the game and you're up by 10. Of course you run the clock out in those situations, I'm talking about when clock doesn't factor in.

Win classy. Gibbs, and other honorable coaches, seem to take their foot off their opponents neck, when up by around 21-28 pts in the fourth qtr.

Of course, if the other team starts to mount a comeback, you bring back the starters and take off the gloves again.

Compare SB XXVI, when Gibbs was classy and called off the dogs when up 31 to 10, at the end of the 3rd......

....to SB XXVII, when the Pukes under Jimmy Johnson, ran up the score 21 unanswered points in the 4th qtr to win 52-17.

(Yet another reason we rule and Dallass isn't fit to hold our collective jockstrap. There's winning the right way, and winning like a little *****.)

I said 21 because I think we were up by 17 in the 4th to Houston and we gave them the game.

In reality, I don't like to see any team play too conservative. You need first downs to keep the other team off of the field and keep them from scoring. If you can run the ball, do so and keep the clock going. If you can't, then throw the ball....but do it safely and conservatively.

Also I wonder what makes a play call conservative? If you have a 21 point lead you don't have to throw 50 yards downfield but does that mean a 20 yard pass is aggressive? It's very objective.

I've seen long runs off of VERY conservative off tackle runs and short passes that break for good gainers used create huge leads. I've seen whole halves were the offense tries unsuccessfully to hit the kill shot. An example of this was the 2007 game against the Giants in DC. Our 17-3 lead was basically created with a very conservative offense and most of the second half was all about us trying to throw the KS.

I'd say it actually depends. If you're offense can't execute the Kill Shot, you generally should go conservative as soon as possible, especially if you got a kick-ass run game or short passing game. Who you are playing and the environment also dictates this strategy.

Your defense should never, I repeat "never" go into a prevent scheme, as this often prevents you from winning and usually ends up causing a nail biting ending. The defense should stick with what got them the lead in the first place.

On offense, you should want to run more and wind the clock down, but at the same time, being predictable is not good either, as it allows the opposing defense to shut your offense down and get their offense back on the field. Running with a mix of high percentage passes is ideal.

If you start the 4th qt with a 4 TD lead you should be pretty safe if your defense doesn't completely lay off. At that point of the game its about clock and if you have a good running game that's that point in which you should start hammering it down their throat. Now I don't believe you should never ever be at the point where you're not trying to score point. I'm just saying that you should try to control the clock with your running game but if it's 3rd and 5 then you should run the appropriate that will give you a first down and extend the drive. Not it's not my fault if the other teams defense can't stop our run game even with 9 in the box lol.

i think it really depends on how well your defense is playing..... if they are kickin ass then late 3rd or early 4th quarter you can go conservative.....but you should be up at least 17 points forcing them to score three td's to win

17 points isn't a safe lead early in the forth or late in the third. I'm mean don't you remember the Houston game. It really wasn't that long ago.

Archived