Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ok i'll say it....

GritzRgreat

Larry: I started a long post responding to you, but I realized it was probably pointless because we're going at this two different ways. I completely see your point, but my argument is based on the fact that I see the Giants winning the division and the rest of the race playing out basically identically to 2006 and 2007 (and almost 2008), where you have one clear winner and the next 2 NFCE teams take the WC. In my eyes, it's the most likely scenario based on what I've seen from this team thus far.

What I'm driving at is we have to keep the division title within reach, because securing a wildcard spot will be no easy task. The moment we concede the division to the Giants or Eagles, our playoff chances become exponentially harder. And if you realize that Dallas isn't going to win the division anyway, then they are no more important to our playoff chances than any number of other non-NFC East teams are.

I understand where you're coming from but what makes you so certain Dallas can't still win the division, especially if they win this week? The way this season has gone, no one can predict with any certainty what will happen week to week. The standings at the end of the season might be very different from what they are right now. I cannot rule out a team that is 2-4 in the NFC, but it becomes infinitely easier if they are 1-5.

I understand where you're coming from but what makes you so certain Dallas can't still win the division, especially if they win this week? The way this season has gone, no one can predict with any certainty what will happen week to week. The standings at the end of the season might be very different from what they are right now. I cannot rule out a team that is 2-4 in the NFC, but it becomes infinitely easier if they are 1-5.

I think it's extremely unlikely that Dallas could rebound to win the division. Anything's possible, but I'm playing the percentages here. Detroit could run the table and end up winning the Super Bowl, but it's not likely.

Even if Dallas bounces back and finishes the year strong, I cannot see them overtaking us, the Eagles, AND the Giants. Dallas needs to go 8-3 the rest of the way--JUST TO GET TO 9-7. And even that won't win them the division. What I'm suggesting is, playing the percentages, the Giants are clearly a greater threat to our chances of securing a playoff spot.

Sure, a Dallas loss could all but knock them out, but that would also make the Giants and even greater threat to our playoff chances. So it doesn't really help us.

I've seen the Cowboys rise from the dead too many times. As long as we keep in pace with a win against the Bears, I'd rather the Giants bury the Cowboys.

Thing is, even if Dallas rises from the dead, they'd have to 9-2 the rest of the way to even have a shot at winning the division. Wade Phillips will not allow that to happen.

And if they don't win the division, Dallas is no more significant to our playoff chances than Green Bay, the Saints, or other non-divisional teams are, because we'd be competing with all of them for a wild card spot (if we don't win the division).

Playing the percentages, the Giants are a greater threat to us. Knocking Dallas out might make us feel good, but let's let some AFC team knock them out. We can't afford to have the Giants do it.

Thing is, even if Dallas rises from the dead, they'd have to 9-2 the rest of the way to even have a shot at winning the division. Wade Phillips will not allow that to happen.

And if they don't win the division, Dallas is no more significant to our playoff chances than Green Bay, the Saints, or other non-divisional teams are, because we'd be competing with all of them for a wild card spot (if we don't win the division).

Playing the percentages, the Giants are a greater threat to us. Knocking Dallas out might make us feel good, but let's let some AFC team knock them out. We can't afford to have the Giants do it.

I'm totally in tune with what you are saying. I do think the best thing is for Dallass to beat the Giants, but its only week 7 and we have 10 more weeks in the season. Quite frankly, I'm not even thinking playoffs this year and especially not after week 6. If this was week 13, I'd be more in tune to the playoff scenerios. My thinking is, bury an hope for the Cowboys, have the Giants at 5-2, the Eagles lose to Tennessee and we take care of business in Chicago.

Giants 5-2

Redskins 4-3

Eagles 4-3

Cowboys 1-5

Makes it a 3 team race the rest of the year with 9 games remaining. Plenty of football with 1 team in the division eliminated/demoralized. Then the Cowboys would have to go 8-3 and hope the Giants go 4-5 and the Redskins/Eagles go 3-6. That would make everyone 9-7.

I'm totally in tune with what you are saying. I do think the best thing is for Dallass to beat the Giants, but its only week 7 and we have 10 more weeks in the season. Quite frankly, I'm not even thinking playoffs this year and especially not after week 6. If this was week 13, I'd be more in tune to the playoff scenerios. My thinking is, bury an hope for the Cowboys, have the Giants at 5-2, the Eagles lose to Tennessee and we take care of business in Chicago.

Giants 5-2

Redskins 4-3

Eagles 4-3

Cowboys 1-5

Makes it a 3 team race the rest of the year with 9 games remaining.

If we knew Philly would lose, I could probably go along with this scenario, but I still think knocking the Cowboys out is more of a "feel-good" thing for us as fans than an actual boost to our playoff chances.

I guess I'm always thinking about the playoffs scenarios, as long as we're still in the hunt. If Dallas loses even one of their next three games, they're all but cooked. So there's no urgency for the Giants to beat them. There's certainly urgency for the Giants to lose a game.

I'm already looking ahead to Week 17 when the Giants come to FedEx Field. For that game to have implications, we're going to need the Giants to lose some games between now and then. Because they are formidable. Imagine if the Giants are 10-5 heading into that contest and we're 9-6. We'll either be thanking our lucky stars the Giants DID lose to Dallas back in October, or we'll be wishing like heck that they had.

In the Dallass Demise thread a cowpuke fan said "go skins" since he knew his team wasn't going anywhere. My reply there is equally fitting for this thread.

Never, and I mean never, even if the Skins were 0-15 and Dallass was playing the a team that had OJ Simpson, Rae Carruth, Marice Clarett, Donte Stallworth, and Leonard Little would I say Go *******!

(see I didnt say it)

If we knew Philly would lose, I could probably go along with this scenario, but I still think knocking the Cowboys out is more of a "feel-good" thing for us as fans than an actual boost to our playoff chances.

I guess I'm always thinking about the playoffs scenarios, as long as we're still in the hunt. If Dallas loses even one of their next three games, they're all but cooked. So there's no urgency for the Giants to beat them. There's certainly urgency for the Giants to lose a game.

I'm already looking ahead to Week 17 when the Giants come to FedEx Field. For that game to have implications, we're going to need the Giants to lose some games between now and then. Because they are formidable. Imagine if the Giants are 10-5 heading into that contest and we're 9-6. We'll either be thanking our lucky stars the Giants DID lose to Dallas back in October, or we'll be wishing like heck that they had.

Fair enough, but we usually look back every year on games we should have won. If you look back and say, we wish the Giants had have lost to the Cowboys in week 7, we can go back and look at ourselves and say, we should have beat the Rams and Texans and we'd be 11-4 instead of 9-6. Thats why I like to take things one week at a time and not look ahead to the playoffs. Think of it this way, nobody (even the 0-5 Bills and Panthers) has been eliminated yet and noboy has clinched anything.

If a Cowboy win can help the Redskins in any way, you should root for it. I don't understand Redskin fans who actually hate the Cowboys more than they love the Redskins. Now, it's week 7, so I can see both sides at this point...but it seems like many here would root for New York regardless of the impact a Giant win would have on our playoff/divisional chances.

I always want what's best for the Redskins. In my opinion, this week that means wanting the Giants to lose.

If a Cowboy win can help the Redskins in any way, you should root for it. I don't understand Redskin fans who actually hate the Cowboys more than they love the Redskins. Now, it's week 7, so I can see both sides at this point...but it seems like many here would root for New York regardless of the impact a Giant win would have on our playoff/divisional chances.

I always want what's best for the Redskins. In my opinion, this week that means wanting the Giants to lose.

My sentiments precisely.

Although it's remotely possible when all is said and done that the Cowboys will end up being more of a threat to our playoff hopes than the Giants will be, the laws of probability indicate that the Giants will be a greater threat to us. Whether the Cowboys are fully dead or just on life support is irrelevant if you go with the probability of the situation.

If the Cowboys were instead some random team called the Orlando Renegades, and everything else about the situation were equal, I don't think we'd even be having this discussion. We'd all be shouting, "Go Renegades!" :)

Mine is not hatred for the Cowboys, as it is eliminating one from the race. 4 to 1 odds or 3 to 1? We still have 2 games against the Giants and this isn't the Zorn Redskins anymore. I believe we'll split against them this year. And this is the first divisional game for the Giants. They still have 5 more after this. I still believe the Cowboys have good players on their roster, the problem is, the coaching and discipline is holding them back. If they ever get it together, they could be more of a threat than the Giants IMO.

Mine is not hatred for the Cowboys, as it is eliminating one from the race. 4 to 1 odds or 3 to 1? We still have 2 games against the Giants and this isn't the Zorn Redskins anymore. I believe we'll split against them this year. And this is the first divisional game for the Giants. They still have 5 more after this. I still believe the Cowboys have good players on their roster, the problem is, the coaching and discipline is holding them back. If they ever get it together, they could be more of a threat than the Giants IMO.

I understand where you're coming from, but I just think Dallas has already dug itself too deep a hole. Keep in mind, they'd have to pass the Giants, Eagles, AND us to win the division. They could go 9-2 the rest of the way, and even then they'd need plenty of help to win the division.

And if they don't win the division, they are merely one of a handful of NFC teams competing for a wildcard spot--which means they're no more significant to us than Green Bay or the Saints or the Rams.

Dallas can really only afford two more losses in their final 11 games, and I'd prefer to see those two losses come against teams we aren't currently chasing.

I can't actively root for the Cowboys OR the Giants, but definitely would prefer the Cowboys win this weekend.

It will be good for the Redskins, and it means Wade Phillips and Jason Garret hang around a little longer.

~Bang

What he said. Best long term if Stay-Puft and Opie stay in Dallass.

I don't buy the whole "win it on your own" bit. Unless the Redskins end up something like 12-4, they are going to need help. Most teams that make the playoffs do it with help from other teams. And from the look of things in the NFC, it's going to be very tight all the way down to the end. We could use all the help we can get.

Homerism really pisses me off sometimes.

I don't buy the whole "win it on your own" bit. Unless the Redskins end up something like 12-4, they are going to need help. Most teams that make the playoffs do it with help from other teams. And from the look of things in the NFC, it's going to be very tight all the way down to the end. We could use all the help we can get.

Homerism really pisses me off sometimes.

What? That's not "homerism". If anything, it's the complete opposite. If we deserve to be in the playoffs, then we should be winning football games. Being a homer is saying we deserve to be in the playoffs even though we are losing (i.e. "backing into the playoffs"). Being a homer is saying controlling our own destiny isn't good enough.

For me, I would love for the Redskins to be at the top of the division and the Cowboys be at the bottom with a horrible record for a change! And even that is a paradox, because I don't want them to pick high up in the draft. Well, unless they pick Jake Locker; they can have him.

What? That's not "homerism". If anything, it's the complete opposite. If we deserve to be in the playoffs, then we should be winning football games. Being a homer is saying we deserve to be in the playoffs even though we are losing (i.e. "backing into the playoffs"). Being a homer is saying controlling our own destiny isn't good enough.

For me, I would love for the Redskins to be at the top of the division and the Cowboys be at the bottom with a horrible record for a change! And even that is a paradox, because I don't want them to pick high up in the draft. Well, unless they pick Jake Locker; they can have him.

It's homerism to me because it's typical for many fans to care how the Cowboys do than how the Redskins do. The Cowboys will fail this year...it's pretty obvious. If Dallas beats the Giants, it doesn't mean the boys will turn their season around.

Archived