Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles are 1st in the Division I guess....

Chase M

So I'm watching the Falcons/Eagles game and Kenny Albert(Commentator) Said "Today we have a matchup between two FRST PLACE NFC TEAMS" :mad: I know Giants and Eagles are tied record wise BUT THEY ARE NOT IN FIRST PLACE! Check the Rules Kenny Albert!

GIVE THE REDSKINS SOME RESPECT!

Don't even pay attention to the commentators. The casual fans lap their misinformation up and have no idea if it's true or not. I'm at the point where I think I might mute the TV and put on Sonny and Sam. I know a lot of other people have already crossed that point. Aikman used to be the only good one, but now they all stink. It's either outright false statements or completely uninsightful comments just to hear themselves speak.

I noticed this too. Maybe I'm picky, but seriously this makes me kinda mad. Once again no mention that the Skins are 2-0 in the division and no respect at all. Oh well, hopefully Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys all lose today and Skins win tonight. Even if they end up the lone 4-2 team I'm sure they'll still say its a fluke somehow...HTTR!

Folks,

1) Yes, the Skins really, truly, are tied for first place. So are the Giants and the Eagles.

The Skins hold the tiebreakers. But notice that word: tiebreakers. As in "this applies when there's a tie."

2) Frankly, I'm not certain, but I think this is the first year where places like NFL.com actually programed the tiebreakers into their "standings" page.

Until very recently, the way everybody listed the NFL standings was:

1) W-L record

2) Alphabetically by city.

(I always wondered if this was part of an intentional conspiracy to give the tiebreaker "edge" to the NFCE city whose name comes first, alphabetically.)

3) I know this may come as a shock to y'all, but the people who cover NFL games, and who talk about them, are in the business of hyping the game.

Tie-breakers irrelevant until/unless the season ends with a tie. Therefore, all 3 teams are in first-place in the NFC East. What they are saying is correct. Also, why would a broadcast of the Eagles/Falcons or Giants/Lions mention that the Redskins are 2-0 in the East?

Some of you have to get over the "if the season were to end today" mentality in mid-October. Tie-breakers are something to worry about down the stretch, not now.

haha even the listings in the newspaper won't put us first because teams with the 'same record' go alphabetically. I guess in like week 14 they start paying attention to whos actually first.

who cares. and DON'T freak out if all the NFCE wins today, it's just one week

He's only looking at the wins and losses. He's discounting the rules by which a team is actually decisively the top team in the division.

And you're ignoring the facts that

1) A tie is a tie.

2) "But the third tiebreaker is in our favor" is not "actually decisively the top team in the division."

And you're ignoring the facts that

1) A tie is a tie.

2) "But the third tiebreaker is in our favor" is not "actually decisively the top team in the division."

Yea I actually didn't know that until this thread, but there's definitely something to be said about a 2 game cushion on the rest of the division. I suppose it could turn around quickly, but if we keep playin this kinda football, there's no reason to think it will.

Archived