Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com - McNabb Says Offense Is Ready to 'Take Off'

HigSkin

I certainly hope so. The 17.5 average points per game is all too familiar from previous years.

I think last weeks game finalized McNabb's departure from Philly and expect things to really start clicking with this team as mentioned in this quote.

“I’m excited about the things we can do in this offense,” he said. “Once we explode, I tell you, it’s going to be eye-popping.”

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/McNabb_Says_Offense_Is_Ready_to__Take_Off__161664.jsp

Donovan McNabb can feel it coming.

As the games pass, as the weeks pass, players in the Redskins’ new offense are gradually building a comfort level.

They are developing a rapport – whether it’s among offensive linemen or between quarterback and receiver.

They are finding a rhythm, so important in sustaining drives.

It was always going to take time for players to adjust to the new offense.

It was a matter of how much time would be needed.

McNabb says the adjustment can happen within one season.

“I expect it to,” he said. “The first four games, everyone is getting a feel of who’s out there with you and game situations. Now I think it’s really going to take off.”

Through four games, the Redskins are ranked right in the middle – 16th overall – on offense. They are averaging 17.5 points per game and 328.2 yards per game.

McNabb said that the offense is still searching for its identity.

That will come as more players learn the nuances of the offense and develop their roles.

“We just don’t want to go in and air it out, throw 40 to 50 times a game, although I wouldn’t mind,” McNabb said. “We’re working to establish that run because we do so much off the run.”

McNabb said he is already going through his progressions quicker than in Week 1.

“I’m excited about the things we can do in this offense,” he said. “Once we explode, I tell you, it’s going to be eye-popping.”

For the most part, the passing game has been more effective than the run game so far this season.

McNabb has completed 70-of-121 passes for 958 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions.

Thirty-eight of McNabb’s completions – nearly half – have gone to Santana Moss (22 catches) and Chris Cooley (16 catches).

McNabb said that when the offense is clicking, passes will be spread around to more receivers.

But he acknowledged that Moss and Cooley are his go-to receivers.

“There’s a comfort, for me, spreading the ball around,” he said. “I take pride in that. Again, this is a different type of offense than I’ve run for 11 years. I have to kind of get into a level where I know I can throw it here and there. These guys are running different routes and different plays.

“Santana has had more opportunities and we all know that he has been one of the best receivers here in the last couple of years. There is a reason why he’s getting more pportunities – and the same with Cooley. We’re going to continue to do what we have to do to get more guys involved, but we’re still going to sort of stay with what we’ve been doing.”

In last Sunday’s game vs. Philadelphia, Moss was held without a catch, but McNabb found Anthony Armstrong for a key 57-yard pass that set up a field goal.

“Anthony did a great job on that one long pass,” McNabb said. “He had another one that I kind of just tailed outside. These guys are doing a great job. More guys will have more catches as we move forward in this offense.”

dude Anthony has great hands....he even caught that long bomb out of bounds later in the game that was over his head and diving out of bounds....sick catch

I think we've seen offensive spurts of things to come. We just need to put it all together for 4 quarters but sounds like it's coming.

People underestimate the value of the "gelling" process when you have a team w/ new HC, OC, QB and sundry other positions in flux. Having any one part- coaching staff or O line, whatever- consistent from seasons past allows you to focus on upgrades, but we are having to watch everything get worked out all at once. Personally, 2-2 with some hope going? Maybe better than I would have expected out of the gate. Get our starting LT back in there and see what a difference that makes too.

People underestimate the value of the "gelling" process when you have a team w/ new HC, OC, QB and sundry other positions in flux. Having any one part- coaching staff or O line, whatever- consistent from seasons past allows you to focus on upgrades, but we are having to watch everything get worked out all at once. Personally, 2-2 with some hope going? Maybe better than I would have expected out of the gate. Get our starting LT back in there and see what a difference that makes too.

I agree wholeheartedly. When you look as the "superstar" pieces, you have a tendency to think immediate results.

I would tend to think McNabb is telling the truth and not blowing smoke here. It does take sometime to gell and get into a rhythm. I just wish and don't understand why Devin Thomas has not clicked with the offense, no knock on the team. It would be nice to have seen this young project blow-up instead of blow out.

I'm really getting a good feeling about this game against the pack on Sunday. It almost wouldn't surprise me if we just blew them out.

My kool-aid must be extra strong this morning.

Well, it's looking more likely that we'll put up a bunch of points with several of their key defensive players out...I'm just hoping that our defense comes to play

I would tend to think McNabb is telling the truth and not blowing smoke here. It does take sometime to gell and get into a rhythm. I just wish and don't understand why Devin Thomas has not clicked with the offense, no knock on the team. It would be nice to have seen this young project blow-up instead of blow out.

Some players just do not fit into certain schemes or are not able to do the things coaches ask of them. He may flourish in another program but he probably will be like our other "stars" and end up out of the league in a year or two.

Some players just do not fit into certain schemes or are not able to do the things coaches ask of them. He may flourish in another program but he probably will be like our other "stars" and end up out of the league in a year or two.

I still want to see him do well. Maybe get a 5th for him or something to a team in need of receivers (Browns, Seahawks, etc.) Hell, the Colts get more from less, they might be able to use him.

If Armstrong doesn't fall down last week we win that game by three touchdowns.

McNabb is a HOFer whose presence alone is lifting this team from 0-4 to 2-2. The more comfortable he gets the better off we'll be but the key to this offense is going to be Torain and the OL.

McNabb can throw it up and down the field but if we don't run it and burn clock this defense will always give it right back.

I still want to see him do well. Maybe get a 5th for him or something to a team in need of receivers (Browns, Seahawks, etc.) Hell, the Colts get more from less, they might be able to use him.

I would hope there is some value in him if we are trying to trade him. Who knows? Raiders or Seahawks may give a 5th rounder for him but it needs to be in the 2011 draft to satisfy me.

Nice to hear, but don't get your hopes up TOO high.. we're still a developing team and there will be inexplicable stumbling blocks along the way.

But it's becoming more and more obvious that the leadership, innovation and ability of our new coaches and QB is putting us on the right track.

~Bang

You want solid hands put Carlos Rogers at receiver. You can't find more solid hands than that. Seriously, the stalls in the red zone have to stop. Perhaps a few less false starts and a play-action or two on first down.

As far as the redzone is concerned, if you have receivers that can't do anything when they have room to work, they're going to have an even harder time when you run out of space in the redzone.

As far as the redzone is concerned, if you have receivers that can't do anything when they have room to work, they're going to have an even harder time when you run out of space in the redzone.

That's why it's extremely important to get the running game going. This opens up that play-action under the 20's. Once you have that, it's hard to stop an offense down there.

Archived