Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can Someone Explain To Me What The 2010 Redskins Are All About?

bulldog

I ask because after 3 weeks I am wondering :)

This was a team in the offseason that gave up draft picks for veteran players McNabb and Brown. The team signed Hicks, Holliday and a host of other veterans.

The team retained Haynesworth at 29 despite the opportunity to move him back to Tennessee for a #3 or #4 pick and get rid of the distraction.

So, the team was not going 'young' or gutting the roster for a run at 2-14 and the top pick in 2011 to select a franchise QB, etc.

Shanahan and Allen wanted to compete in 2010.

But by that standard they left the job unfinished.

The wide receiver position was completely ignored. Santonio Holmes, Brandon Marshall, Terrell Owens, Vincent Jackson and a number of other veterans that were better than any of the other receivers not named Moss on the Redskins were in play and yet no attempt was made to sign the free agents or trade for the guys whose rights were retained by their original clubs.

To win in 2010 it had to become obvious by training camp that Maake Kemoeatu was not 100% and may not be during the season. With only Anthony Bryant and Howard Green behind him at NT, there was no way the 3-4 defense was going to work without a proper anchor inside.

The 3-4 displaced Haynesworth, Carter, Fletcher, Golston, Alexander, Wilson, etc.

At the same time the scheme really only helped Adam Carriker who was returning to a defensive alignment that better suited his skills coming over from St. Louis.

Laron Landry could have been returned to strong safety in a 4-3 and given blitz responsibilities on passing downs as he has been in the 3-4. So, no real difference there.

So, again, I ask myself for a team that was looking to put its best foot forward in 2010, how could it fall so obviously short of that standard of competitiveness?

Having Haslett come in and with a straight face nod his head to Shanahan that the players were here to run the 3-4 is now in retrospect a bit of a joke.

In the same way perhaps that Jim Zorn came in and maintained that Jason Campbell was a fit for his West Coast Offense and that he didn't need to trade for another quarterback.

When coaches make these kinds of transitional errors in evaluating talent, how do you then have confidence in their other actions?

Just like Gibbs in 1981 on offense, I think Shanahan needs to revamp the defense and admit that what he wanted to run is just not possible with the current roster of players.

More importantly, this defense CAN be better than merely adequate if in a 4-3 scheme with guys like Haynesworth playing their regular positions.

Since they decided to keep AH for 2010 (a decision I questioned at the time), why not use him properly?

Why not allow Andre Carter to rush the passer instead of being asked to tackle Steven Jackson in the open field?

Why not admit that Kemoeatu and Bryant are not good enough to play NT in the 3-4 and make it work at the NFL level?

These are the kinds of decisions that seem obvious but are hard for guys with a big ego to make because they show a very public mistake or two have been made.

Gibbs admitted that mistake in 1981 with the offense after the 0-5 start, but he was also a 40 year old rookie head coach who had been a coordinator before the promotion.

He was not a head coach with a proven record.

And therein lies the rub.

Shanahan may see it, but will he believe it? :)

I have to agree with you. What are Ted Leonsis' maxims?? You're either competing for a title or rebuilding. I cant tell that this Redskins team is doing either at this point. This is NOT a team that is a legitimate title contender at this point, and I don't see how we will be next year, either. There's a serious lack of young talent to be developed in this organization. We need to STOP trading away draft picks and start building young like the Pats and Steelers (ya know, teams that have won Super Bowls in the past decade) have done so successfully.

I think the thought process was to bring in a veteran QB, a healthy Portis, a properly coached offensive line, and a hope of one of the receivers stepping up, would lead to a competitive team.

Everything backfired.

Offensive line already injured. Kemo didn't return to form. No receiver stepped up. Portis hit the wall.

Alexander and Carter at linebacker? Real head scratchers.

Trent Williams, Brian Orakpo, Laron Landry, Chris Cooley, Fred Davis, Rocky McIntosh, Kareem Moore, Jeremy Jarmon (in a 4-3), etc. are all players this team can build with for the future.

But why we are not building for the future but rather filling in with guys like Vonnie Holliday, Larry Johnson, Roydell Williams, Maake Kemoeatu, Anthony Bryant, Joey Galloway, etc. is beyond me.

Promote younger players - bring Terrence Austin in off the practice squad and give him a chance to return punts and play some at WR in the spread formation. Roydell Williams and Joey Galloway don't catch the football. Anthony Armstrong has been inconsistent.

Perhaps Austin is not part of the answer either. But let's find out instead of giving Galloway reps that don't produce any tangible results either.

This includes looking around the NFL at the practice squad rosters for help at RB, WR, backup OL, backup OLB, etc.

In today's Post and on 980 I've seen/heard comments made by Jason Reid and Kevin Sheehan respectively that indicated the Skins were somewhat limited due to the free agency restrictions due to the CBA that removed the salary cap. Still, probably should've been better prepared to address the needs Bulldog highlights.

I think it all depends upon what kind of team you want to have now and in the future.

If this was a younger staff oriented toward the future I think you would have seen them trade Haynesworth back to the Titans for a draft pick. You might also have seen the team trade Carlos Rogers, knowing they didn't have an interest in giving him a long-term deal after 2010.

Those picks (perhaps a #3 and #4?) would have been added to the pick in Round 2 KEPT as the team would have turned down the McNabb deal, knowing that Donovan's contract was expiring and would likewise be looking for a franchise paycheck through 2013-2014.

So, you keep your #1 and #2 and add the #3 and #4 picks and your draft is now:

#5 (no trade for later picks)

With a smart GM who knows the draft and scouts that work the college game hard, those picks should be enough to get your club started in the right direction in Year 1.

Again, I have no problem with the Trent Williams pick, I think he will be the best OL taken out of the draft when we look back 5 years.

But after Williams we don't see much.

Riley made the team but is inactive each week and hasn't been able to supplant a heady but limited athlete in HB Blades as a backup ILB.

Dennis Morris was a strange pick. He was awful from Day 1 and was all but invisible in camp before his 'trade' :)

The three #7 picks never really had a chance to make the roster. Terrence Austin and free agent Ryan Torain failed to make the roster but Brandon Banks and Larry Johnson did.

Banks and Johnson lasted all of 3 weeks in Washington.

Then Torain was back on the roster and Austin was on the PS.

Seems somebody made some mistakes during that final cut-down.

I ask because after 3 weeks I am wondering :)

This was a team in the offseason that gave up draft picks for veteran players McNabb and Brown. The team signed Hicks, Holliday and a host of other veterans.

the team was limited to what they could do. All the players you mentioned the Skins should have gone after, would mean giving up a draft pick. Due the CBA, this is how they had to go. And we knew this before FA started. See, you whine about giving up draft picks for McNabb and Brown. You then turnaround and whine about not going after some WR's, which would mean giving up draft picks. You should have done some research before posting this garbage.

And about the 3-4 defense, its not the defense. Players are missing assignments. The fans don't know how too fix the problem. So, they automatically blame the 3-4 defense. Yes, its true that some players don't fit. But Shanahan said this is what direction they are going in. And it will take more than 1 draft too fix all the problems.

I think the thought process was to bring in a veteran QB, a healthy Portis, a properly coached offensive line, and a hope of one of the receivers stepping up, would lead to a competitive team.

Everything backfired.

Offensive line already injured. Kemo didn't return to form. No receiver stepped up. Portis hit the wall.

Alexander and Carter at linebacker? Real head scratchers.

Alexander has done well in the defense, so far. Carter has not.

The skins are still in search of their identity as a franchise. The past decade or so since Gibbs returned they have been a running team that was lead by the defense.

I think by week 8 we'll have a better idea what this team is all about but until then we will just have to point and laugh at the abortion that Haslett has brought to our defense.

The change to the 3-4 is fine, but I simply dont understand a total shift towards it when there is no personnel yet here to do it full-time. Implement slowly and maybe it should have been in full effect next season after another offseason of additions

The problem is execution. Fans say the same "no personnel for the defense." That just means they don't know how too fix it.

The skins are still in search of their identity as a franchise. The past decade or so since Gibbs returned they have been a running team that was lead by the defense.

I think by week 8 we'll have a better idea what this team is all about but until then we will just have to point and laugh at the abortion that Haslett has brought to our defense.

All Haslett has to do is have the corners press the WR's more. It just the execution. Right out of London Fletchers mouth.

I honestly don't see the point being made here...

The goal every year for every team is to win the Super Bowl every year right? Well do you think Shanahan would come in to a 4-12 team, switch the defensive schemes and expect Super Bowl?? No? Then I don't see your point there.

Shanahan looked at all of Campbell's tapes...he looked at Qbs in the draft...he didn't see what he wanted. Shanahan does not settle when it comes to Quarterbacks(or doesn't like to) and McNabb is his kind of QB. He probably figured he could get 4-5 years with McNabb...more than enough time to make things happen. Also...franchise Qbs are not as easy as drafting a young QB. The plan...from where I see it is to build an offense around McNabb and then pass it on to a younger Quarterback who will hopefully work out

So that said...I'm assuming this was supposed to be a "We're no longer pushovers" year. People may still laugh at us here and there...but they take us a bit more seriously now. There aren't as many people crossing the Redskins off the schedule the same way they used to do last year as they'd do with the Chiefs, Bills, Rams, or Lions

Besides that...I'm not part of the front office. We didn't have that many draft picks left anyway...so it'd be difficult to trade for a top receiver. In addition to that, other teams probably made better offers. And the market for Haynesworth isn't wide...thank his contract for that one...

Shanahan does not need to back track and say he can't do w/e with these players. They can switch up some plays to be more effective...but by the end of the year what will probably happen is a lot of our players on defense will be traded for picks...and the players that have shown they can play a 3-4 will stay

I hope I'm right when I say that we may have a better chance of containing Vick this Sunday with the 3-4 defense than with a 4-3. Hopefully our LB's will contain him and make him throw more than run. Again, this is probably wishful thinking because we would need Fat Boy to show up and play. If he does, this defense could have an entirely different look.

I'm guessing we will live or die by the blitz against Vick......that being said, the Eagles offensive line is very weak and we should get pressure on him and make him force some throws...

Lights please.

And there were in the same country lobbyists, abiding in the Congress, keeping watch over their policies by night. And, lo, the Snyder came upon them, and the glory of Shanahan shone round about them! And they were sore afraid ... And the angel said unto them, "Fear not! For, behold, I bring you tidings o great joy, which shall be to all my club seat holders. For unto you is born this day in the city of George Allean a Saviour, which is Shanahan, the Coach."

"And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the coach wrapped in officially-licensed Redskins merchandise, signing autographs at FedEx Field." And suddenly, there was with the Snyder a multitude of the corporate sponors praising Shanahan, and saying, "Glory to Snyder in the Highest, and at FedEx Field, our prices for luxury suites have been greatly reduced."

"That's what the season is all about, bulldog."

Besides that...I'm not part of the front office. We didn't have that many draft picks left anyway...so it'd be difficult to trade for a top receiver. In addition to that, other teams probably made better offers. And the market for Haynesworth isn't wide...thank his contract for that one...

I agree with most of what you said, but Haynesworth wasn't tradable for his attitude, not his contract. His base salary numbers over the remainder of his contract ($3.6m, $5.4m, and $6.7m) are very manageable as his bonus money has already been paid.

Archived