Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan Presser at 3:00, 9/27 (MET)

SIXX99

Maybe we need to start calling him "Iverson"

Thats an insult to Iverson man. AI is a 1st ballot Hall Of Famer. smh

Just put the dude in the damn game, J Galloway is nothing but a Hail Mary option, R Williams is that "other" guy lined up at WR. This is getting ridiculous.

he had that sweet reverse 2 years ago when he showed off his speed, he had that 100 yard game against NO last year. the guy is big and fast, and right now, youd think that'd be enough to supplant roydell williams for at least the #4 WR job.

Doesn't mattter how big and fast you are if you run the wrong route and don't know the WR positions for Mike/Kyle's scheme.

Doesn't mattter how big and fast you are if you run the wrong route and don't know the WR positions for Mike/Kyle's scheme.

This doesn't hold water.

"Hey Devin, give Joey a breather and go run a fly pattern, got it?"

"Ummm, what's a fly pattern coach?"

"Just run as fast as you down the sideline and beat your opponent to the ball when it comes your way."

"Should I stutter-step or button hook or anything?"

"No. Just do what Joey just did but catch it instead."

"So you want me to run fast and catch the ball right?"

"Screw it. Roydell!!!! Get in there!!"

Maybe, just maybe Shanny's the problem

I get the feeling there's a lot more discontent in the locker room than people are letting on, and I think Shanny's trying to get that 'sh1t locked down' by making a few examples of people. Seems to me that there's one on defense and one on offense - we all know who I'm talking about - they've both got talent and they're not being used

I think we have a big, big problem

I get the feeling there's a lot more discontent in the locker room than people are letting on, and I think Shanny's trying to get that 'sh1t locked down' with a few examples. Seem to me that there's one on defense and one on offense - we all know who I'm talking about - they've both got talent and they're not being used

im not sure its quite so serious as of right now... but im not sure why shanahan continues to treat these games like pre-season games. splitting snaps between kory and Dock in our first two games? splitting carries with Portis and Torain? cutting LJ after two games? these issues should have been ironed out in the off season when you had time to evaluate these players... not week three of the regular season

then he should be cut and out of the NFL. so why is he taking up a roster spot?

He will be next year.(out of the nfl) He's raw WR with incredible physical talent, and this is the main and only reason he's still around. What are you expecting from a guy who had 1 college season of playing time? Routes can be taught, which is another reason why he's still here. According to our board insider, he specifically said that until he learned all 3 WR positions and proved he was better than the guys before him, then he wouldn't be seeing any extended playing time.

To me, Devin has come into the league as a diva, believing that his playing time is a god given right. You can tell by the attitude he gives off. Sadly for him, it's not a given, and you will be out of the league in no time with that type of mentality. Ask JaMarcus Russell about that one.

Damn, reading these boards would make me believe that Devin Thomas is a surefire HOFer. Here's the reality...

Devin Thomas has shown pretty much zero in his NFL career. He has good straight-line speed, which he uses on his kick returns. But have you ever seen him make a cut? He doesn't seem shifty or elusive to me. Just fast. And unfortunately, it's easy to cover a guy who is just fast.

The second thing people are forgetting is that playing wide receiver isn't just about running routes. It's about making the catch. And Devin Thomas, thusfar, has shown hands that I think we can all agree are below average. You can read here (http://stayingmedium.blogspot.com/2010/05/football-outsiders-on-redskins.html) that Thomas' catch rate in 2009 was 53%. You can look at the catch rates for WRs around the league here (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/statistics/wide-receivers/2009) and you'll find that, for the most part, most effective receivers sport at least 60%. Thomas' catch rate in his rookie year was also just 56%.

So what does it all mean?

It all means that we should believe the minimal information the coaches have revealed to us. Mccardell said that Thomas needs to bring it every play. This means he needs to be able to run his route consistently, and catch the ball when it is thrown to him. What exactly has Thomas shown that contradicts this? He's been inconsistent his whole career here. He was inconsistent this preseason. I don't question his effort...I question whether the physical tools he has are actually physical tools of a respectable NFL receiver - he has inconsistent hands and lacks shiftiness.

Damn, reading these boards would make me believe that Devin Thomas is a surefire HOFer. Here's the reality...

Devin Thomas has shown pretty much zero in his NFL career. He has good straight-line speed, which he uses on his kick returns. But have you ever seen him make a cut? He doesn't seem shifty or elusive to me. Just fast. And unfortunately, it's easy to cover a guy who is just fast.

The second thing people are forgetting is that playing wide receiver isn't just about running routes. It's about making the catch. And Devin Thomas, thusfar, has shown hands that I think we can all agree are below average. You can read here (http://stayingmedium.blogspot.com/2010/05/football-outsiders-on-redskins.html) that Thomas' catch rate in 2009 was 53%. You can look at the catch rates for WRs around the league here (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/statistics/wide-receivers/2009) and you'll find that, for the most part, most effective receivers sport at least 60%. Thomas' catch rate in his rookie year was also just 56%.

So what does it all mean?

It all means that we should believe the minimal information the coaches have revealed to us. Mccardell said that Thomas needs to bring it every play. This means he needs to be able to run his route consistently, and catch the ball when it is thrown to him. What exactly has Thomas shown that contradicts this? He's been inconsistent his whole career here. He was inconsistent this preseason. I don't question his effort...I question whether the physical tools he has are actually physical tools of a respectable NFL receiver - he has inconsistent hands and lacks shiftiness.

Maybe you didn't get the memo. The preseason is over and the players in front of him aren't doing anything. Its not rocket science.

I get the feeling there's a lot more discontent in the locker room than people are letting on, and I think Shanny's trying to get that 'sh1t locked down' by making a few examples of people. Seems to me that there's one on defense and one on offense - we all know who I'm talking about - they've both got talent and they're not being used

You guys are funny. I didn't follow Shanny that closely in Denver but it's my understanding that this is how he runs his team. If he doesn't feel you are giving it your all (or at least enough of an effort) then he wont play you. Period. No matter how talented you are. You take the good with the bad and pissing matches with players who don't fall in line is part of who he is. (I actually think Belichick is the same way and would probably hear the same things if he coached here). I don't think Shanny is going anywhere for a few years so we may need to get used to it and hope in the long run Shanny's approach will get the most out of our players. Even if its at the expense of a few games his first season here.

Need to improve on 3rd downs.....

This is the thing that bothers me the most. If we could sustain some drives, maybe our defense would not be on the field so much.

After week 3 the Redskins rank 32nd in 3rd down percentage. We are 6 for 33 or 18 percent. That really sucks.

We need a possession type receiver. I think Kelly would have filled that role nicely.

But till we get better on third downs we are not going to win too many games.

then he should be cut and out of the NFL. so why is he taking up a roster spot?

Right now he it seems he is on the team as the kick returner and special teams player. Think Brian Mitchell.

We don't know what he is doing in practice or the meetings but I find it hard to believe he is not worth a single snap on offense through 3 games.

This is the thing that bothers me the most. If we could sustain some drives, maybe our defense would not be on the field so much.

After week 3 the Redskins rank 32nd in 3rd down percentage. We are 6 for 33 or 18 percent. That really sucks.

We need a possession type receiver. I think Kelly would have filled that role nicely.

But till we get better on third downs we are not going to win too many games.

Dont bring the defense into this - they stay on the field because of their own ineptitude's. How many 3 and out's do we have? I can honestly think of maybe 3 in 3 games and i don't remember one last week

- That is another reason we have a punt return average of 1 yd - by the time the other team is punting they are already on our side of the field deciding if they should try the long FG or pin us with a good directional punt - and most of the time this yr has been the latter

That is why the defense is tired not because our offense sux on 3rd down

Dont bring the defense into this - they stay on the field because of their own ineptitude's. How many 3 and out's do we have? I can honestly think of maybe 3 in 3 games and i don't remember one last week

- That is another reason we have a punt return average of 1 yd - by the time the other team is punting they are already on our side of the field deciding if they should try the long FG or pin us with a good directional punt - and most of the time this yr has been the latter

That is why the defense is tired not because our offense sux on 3rd down

I agree. The defense needs to get some stops. In all three games, the Redskins opponent could have put their punter on the inactive list. I think we've been forcing less than 2 punts a game.

It's to the point with DT i understand that he may not know all the positions. And whether thats his fault or Zorns fault or who ever our WR's coach was when he was a rookie. Ok, fine. Then maybe we should treat him like a rookie. Kyle should come up with like 5-10 plays for him. He is by far the most athletic WR maybe the most athletic player on our team. He needs to be on the field. IDC if he starts or plays the whole game but how about when youre going to run a 1 or 2 WR route and youre going to send someone deep make it be him. I mean really, McNabb keeps over throwing Gall. U think it might be b/c he was throwing to D-Jack last year and now he's throwing to the 40 year old Gall. Maybe yes maybe no but i sure would like to find out. Give him a chance he cant be any worse than what we have now.

Archived