Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm not a huge fan of ernie or flip, but my gut tells me that if the plan is to replace them you have to get a better gm and better hc. The list of quailty candidates to fill those positions is not very large in the nba, and list of avaliable ones that'd want to try and save this franchise is even smaller. Id be willing to part ways with both if we can replace them with someone better, otherwise, live on the fact both were at least semi-succesful elsewhere.

Yeah we need to get rid of both of them after this season

And has anyone bought the student discount tickets?

Wall broke Chris Paul's assist record for the rookie game

he has 18 with around 5min to go

edit: he finished with 13pts, 22assists

---------- Post added February-18th-2011 at 10:58 PM ----------

wall wins MVP

So happy he represented well. The Sports Reporters had a segment this week where Czaben declared that he didn't think Wall was special like a Rose/Paul/Williams and the Wizards shouldn't feature him as their centerpiece and build around him. He went on and on about it. Like that ****er even watches Wizards games. There aren't many times I've been that pissed over something in the media. If I hadn't had to go to work I was going to call in. So suck on it Czabe.

Unfortunately I still think Javale embarrasses himself tomorrow night. Expect a failed attempt at a freethrow line dunk.

---------- Post added February-19th-2011 at 01:56 AM ----------

Lol, just saw highlights from the celebrity game. I'm not gonna lie, Justin Beiber's got handles.

Chris Miller said on CSN that JaVale might get them to raise the court to 12ft and then try to dunk it flat-footed

That sounds cool. Unique, which is needed.

I hope I'm wrong about him. How awesome would it be if Wall won rookie/soph MVP and the skills competition and Javale won the dunk contest?

Chris Miller said on CSN that JaVale might get them to raise the court to 12ft and then try to dunk it flat-footed

Didn't Dwight Howard try and get them to do that years ago and they wouldn't? He ended up sticking a sticker on the backboard like 15" up or something instead.

---------- Post added February-19th-2011 at 04:12 AM ----------

Watching Wall throw alley oops to Griffin was mesmerizing. What if we had actually gotten the number one pick two years in a row like Orlando did instead of getting shafted with the fifth overall pick in 2009?

Here's hoping that the Clippers continue to suck and Blake Griffin can't wait to LeBron them and take his talents to D.C. once his rookie deal is up.

---------- Post added February-19th-2011 at 04:17 AM ----------

Wait a second. Holy crap could you imagine that? Take that scenario seriously for a moment. What if we got Blake Griffin? What if we drafted Perry Jones to be our 3 with our high pick this season? What if we swung another pick to get Josh Selby late in the first to be the 2.

Would that not be the SICKEST NBA Jam team ever? The alley-oop would be the only play we'd need to draw up!

I hope people still don't have doubts about Wall being a super star. The guy has the mentality of a star. He looks comfortable around other great players. You surround him with talent instead of garbage like Blatche. He will be averaging 20/12/5 by his third year.

His court vision is just ridiculous. You don't think other big men who were played last night were wondering how awesome it would be to play with a PG like him every game? Blake Griffin or DeMarcus Cousins, bet you one of them pair up with Wall in the future.

Edited by No Excuses

I hope people still don't have doubts about Wall being a super star. The guy has the mentality of a star. He looks comfortable around other great players. You surround him with talent instead of garbage like Blatche. He will be averaging 20/12/5 by his third year.

His court vision is just ridiculous. You don't think other big men who were played last night were wondering how awesome it would be to play with a PG like him every game? Blake Griffin or DeMarcus Cousins, bet you one of them pair up with Wall in the future.

i agree completely. I cannot stress enough that he is averaging 9 assists on a team that starts two of the lowest basketball IQ's in the league (and neither of which has a post game)

once we get him a big man with actual lost post skills, his assist totals will only go higher. once his jumpshot gets to a respectable level, he'll average 20pts no problem

i agree completely. I cannot stress enough that he is averaging 9 assists on a team that starts two of the lowest basketball IQ's in the league (and neither of which has a post game)

once we get him a big man with actual lost post skills, his assist totals will only go higher. once his jumpshot gets to a respectable level, he'll average 20pts no problem

Seriously, no kidding. Imagine if he could run the pick and roll with someone like Amare Stoudemire or Blake Griffin.

The attraction of playing with Wall will make our franchise desirable to a lot of FA. The only thing we have to do is make this place desirable enough for Wall to play here. Ted has that vision and the marketing ability to make this franchise look attractive. As much as I liked Abe, his marketing department was a ****ing disaster.

It already sounds like Cousins wants play with him again. He was wistful when talking about their year at Kentucky after the game and they seem like close friends. I don't know how I feel about him coming to DC. He's a genuine head case but he's also incredibly gifted. I don't know if he'll ever surpass Dwight Howard, but I could see him solidifying himself as the second best center in the league one day. That is if he doesn't run himself out of it.

When is his rookie contract up?

When is his rookie contract up?

he signed a four year deal with team options on the final 2

i'm not sure i trust him to stay out of trouble in DC, even though he would be more comfortable playing with Wall. we would need the right combo of Coach & GM to keep him in line, Ernie & Flip ain't up for that job :ols:

Edited by StillUnknown

I think first round picks contracts are structured as four years guaranteed + team option on the 5th.

Cousins is so damn talented but I think he'll be the next Rasheed Wallace. A guy who will have a damn productive career but people will always wonder what he could have been if he had his head on straight.

Edited by No Excuses

Yeah, I don't care for Cousins' act. Plus I'm still holding out hope for McGee to develop into a consistent double double with 2+ blocks a game. McGee isn't a superstar and never will be. But he's got the potential to be a very good center on a winning team. I wonder what would have happened if he'd made the national team. Everyone seemed to make a leap from that team, I wonder if he could have made it too. Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook suddenly became top ten players this year. I never would have though Westbrook could be as good offensively as he is now. Did anyone think that from watching him in college?

I do think our team has some work to do to make this an attractive place for Wall to stay. Something needs to be figured out with Blatche. His numbers are always going to be just good enough that you won't be able to fault him for a lack of production. By the middle of the offseason you'll forget about all of his dumb**** mistakes and you'll start talking yourself into him again thinking things like "well we can't really afford to lose his production at the 4" or "we could do a lot worse than him at that spot." Both of those are absolutely true. But they don't change the fact that Blatche is not really the type of player that you can build a contender with where he's a key starter. He'd struggle to see the floor on a really good team, and his problems and weaknesses compound McGee's. We'll be soft in the paint as long as those two play together and Yi Jianlian or Rashard Lewis are their primary backup.

That said, I think we have even less talent at the 2 and 3 positions. We are incredibly barren there, we have Nick Young and then absolutely nothing. We all saw what happened when Young misses a game. We can't score and get blown out by 25+.

We've got a scoring 2. We've got an athletic center who can run the floor and play above the rim. We've got a superb playmaker at the point. We have a bunch of tough, scrappy bigs that are quality rotational types. We need better starting forwards. I'd love to have a finisher with a superb offensive game that could take advantage of Wall's playmaking abilities. Jared Sullinger, Terrence Jones, and maybe Perry Jones (although I still think he's a wing) are the only bigs in this class who might qualify. If the draft were held today, the top three picks would probably be Irving, P. Jones, and Sullinger. Terrence Jones would probably be the most likely choice for fourth. I'm not a huge fan of Derrick Williams since I think he's a little soft looking for our purposes. That means if we pick fifth or later, we're probably going to miss out on our best options. Our best pick would be Harrison Barnes and then we'd have to hope for a big in FA or in 2012.

I'm really, really hoping we come away with Sullinger. Then we could trade Blatche and use 2012 to build our talent in the front court and on the wing.

BTW, we could also have Kanter as an option in that scenario. But seeing as how this is a pick we must nail, I wouldn't select him. Harrison Barnes isn't going to be a bust and he's a quality starter on a contender with some upside left to his game to possibly become more. He'd be my choice.

Edited by stevemcqueen1