Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

That was a fun game to watch last night.  Doubling Steph whenever possible and forcing the rest of the team to beat us was well done.  As was the seeming focus on forcing Steph to beat us from inside the 3pt arc.  Forcing in and then getting some help from the bigs when in close made for something I despaired of never seeing again, Wizards playing team defense.  

Their last trade is looking better an better.

What yall don't understand is by continuing to win they're not going to shake things up

you want this team to miss the playoffs if you don't like brooks

THAT BEING SAID with a fully healthy roster and westbrook and beal dialing this team is pretty good. This team was supposed to show up for most of the year. Instead they are just now playing well. Lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

What yall don't understand is by continuing to win they're not going to shake things up

you want this team to miss the playoffs if you don't like brooks

THAT BEING SAID with a fully healthy roster and westbrook and beal dialing this team is pretty good. This team was supposed to show up for most of the year. Instead they are just now playing well. Lol

What you don’t understand is that Westbrook & Bertans clearly weren’t right physically for a good while & also the GM unloaded those bums Brown & Wagner for Gafford which has looked genius for what it’s worth.  Westbrook/Beal is proving to be a formidable duo & I don’t care how terribly they started.  It’s how you finish!  You must not be a Nationals fan ha

On 4/21/2021 at 10:48 PM, Hersh said:

So ****ed up to even bring up that possibility. 

I feel better about Brooks not being extended than I do about Shep. Leonsis, while a horrible owner of the Wiz (and this is true of the Caps too) has never had a problem changing coaches. I'm holding out the slightest sliver of hope that his plan this entire time was to promote Shep knowing he'd keep Brooks but that after two years they'd all be gone. Then he'd hire a new GM, who would definitely want his own coach. 

My guess is that Shep is back and Brooks is gone. If Brooks is back, I'm out as a fan. I just won't pay attention and watch anymore games. If only Shep is back, it will depend on the direction the Wiz take with players in the offseason to see if I want to stick around. I've just gotten to the point with the teams of my youth that I'm not gonna spend time watching them roll out a ****ty product year after year. I have better things to do in life. 

The Wiz are on a 7 game winning streak and you’re on the fire Brooks wagon pretty hard there buddy lol

Edited by -JB-

59 minutes ago, -JB- said:

What you don’t understand is that Westbrook & Bertans clearly weren’t right physically for a good while & also the GM unloaded those bums Brown & Wagner for Gafford which has looked genius for what it’s worth.  Westbrook/Beal is proving to be a formidable duo & I don’t care how terribly they started.  It’s how you finish!  You must not be a Nationals fan ha

The Wiz are on a 7 game winning streak and you’re on the fire Brooks wagon pretty hard there buddy lol

hell yeah. Brooks is a terrible coach. Shep isn’t a good GM. People excited about this team and want everyone back deserve a franchise that has been irrelevant for decades. 

• Like 2

Who cares about the coach and GM.  I care about the players and colors.  The Wizards have been on a treadmill as a franchise anyway. 

The best playoff memory we had was a GW shot that occurred in Game 6 of a series they lost.  Beyond that, some depressing 2nd round losses and 1st round losses.  But I'll always remember Wall and Nene fighting their hearts out.  Prior to that it was the Agent 0 led clubs losing to LeTravel. 

(Jim Mora Sr Mode on)...Championships?  Are you ring chasing as a DC basketball fan?  Championships?  You want to talk about championships?  Go become a fan of the Lakers or Warriors, go become a fan of Lebron.  DC basketball is not about championships.  We can only hope for a magical season going to the ECF.  

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2021 at 11:09 AM, Hersh said:

hell yeah. Brooks is a terrible coach. Shep isn’t a good GM. People excited about this team and want everyone back deserve a franchise that has been irrelevant for decades. 

What has Shep done that deserves to get him canned?  He got rid of damaged goods with Wall & brought in a clearly superior player in Westbrook, signed Bertans, & just dealt two scrubs for Gafford.  Drafted Rui who has actually been solid when healthy.  I don’t know what more you could expect the dude to do after following the gross mismanagement by Grunfed for so many years.

23 minutes ago, -JB- said:

What has Shep done that deserves to get him canned?  He got rid of damaged goods with Wall & brought in a clearly superior player in Westbrook, signed Bertans, & just dealt two scrubs for Gafford.  Drafted Rui who has actually been solid when healthy.  I don’t know what more you could expect the dude to do after following the gross mismanagement by Grunfed for so many years.

The roster construction has been terrible. You don’t draft Deni then re-sign Bertans when the roster screamed for a good wing or guard that can play defense. Do one, but not both.  (He could’ve traded Bertans last season and probably gotten a first, done a sign and trade with Bertans or drafted Haliburton if he knew he was signing Bertans) He only traded Wall likely after he was told to and he gave up a future first to do so.

As far as Rui and Deni go, how do that actually fit on the roster together? The fact that he considered trading up to get Deni is a huge red flag. He could be a solid player with a better coach, but how does he fit? 

The Wiz have sucked while he’s been GM and he has kept a bad head coach. He shouldn’t be running anything by Beal. The trading of Wall, when he clearly lied to Wall, was a cluster ****. He also spent $7 million on Lopez. 

Having said all that, his biggest failure is picking a clear direction with the team. Trying to barely make the playoffs while sorta rebuilding is the worst strategy in all of sports. The worst. And any GM who picks that strategy should not be a GM anymore. 

This organization sucks and I want them not to suck. That means cleaning house of all things from the EG era and actually having a fresh start. Plus, let’s face it. Shep was like the 4th choice so even Ted didn’t really want him. 

Edited by Hersh

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The roster construction has been terrible. You don’t draft Deni then re-sign Bertans when the roster screamed for a good wing or guard that can play defense. Do one, but not both.  (He could’ve traded Bertans last season and probably gotten a first, done a sign and trade with Bertans or drafted Haliburton if he knew he was signing Bertans) He only traded Wall likely after he was told to and he gave up a future first to do so.

As far as Rui and Deni go, how do that actually fit on the roster together? The fact that he considered trading up to get Deni is a huge red flag. He could be a solid player with a better coach, but how does he fit? 

The Wiz have sucked while he’s been GM and he has kept a bad head coach. He shouldn’t be running anything by Beal. The trading of Wall, when he clearly lied to Wall, was a cluster ****. He also spent $7 million on Lopez. 

Having said all that, his biggest failure is picking a clear direction with the team. Trying to barely make the playoffs while sorta rebuilding is the worst strategy in all of sports. The worst. And any GM who picks that strategy should not be a GM anymore. 

This organization sucks and I want them not to suck. That means cleaning house of all things from the EG era and actually having a fresh start. Plus, let’s face it. Shep was like the 4th choice so even Ted didn’t really want him. 

This sounds personal since he traded Wall.  I was happy with that trade.  Clearly a win.  This team is better going forward with Westbrook.  Trying to win every game is a sound strategy.  Trying to tank is a loser strategy especially when strapped with Westbrook/Beal contracts.  Are you kidding me?  Maybe you shouldn’t be so critical of any GM with your strategy LOL

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

This sounds personal since he traded Wall.  I was happy with that trade.  Clearly a win.  This team is better going forward with Westbrook.  Trying to win every game is a sound strategy.  Trying to tank is a loser strategy especially when strapped with Westbrook/Beal contracts.  Are you kidding me?  Maybe you shouldn’t be so critical of any GM with your strategy LOL

I've wanted Wall gone for a while but the idea that it’s clearly a win is amusing and I like Russ. The Wiz are struggling to make the play-in game. How much different would the Wiz be with Wall instead? And the Wiz gave up a future asset. 

The idea that the Wiz are strapped with Beal’s contract is nonsensical. They could get a haul for him any time they wanted. 

Do you know shep or work for the Wiz or something? Cause you are defending a team strategy which involves just making the playoffs as a success. 

The Wiz in their current state are irrelevant. I’d love for that to change but it won’t under the current strategy.

6 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Unless you're a destination city, tanking for your own GSW streak or Giannis is pretty much the only path to a Championship (or one year rental of disgruntled Kwahi I guess).

Wizards are stuck in that low lottery to fringe playoff purgatory.  

15 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Unless you're a destination city, tanking for your own GSW streak or Giannis is pretty much the only path to a Championship (or one year rental of disgruntled Kwahi I guess).

Wizards are stuck in that low lottery to fringe playoff purgatory.  

Ok so when they tank who are they starting that is propelling them to championship status?  Even Zion can’t get his team above .500!!  Did you see last years draft?  What a joke that was. Cmon.  

22 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I've wanted Wall gone for a while but the idea that it’s clearly a win is amusing and I like Russ. The Wiz are struggling to make the play-in game. How much different would the Wiz be with Wall instead? And the Wiz gave up a future asset. 

The idea that the Wiz are strapped with Beal’s contract is nonsensical. They could get a haul for him any time they wanted. 

Do you know shep or work for the Wiz or something? Cause you are defending a team strategy which involves just making the playoffs as a success. 

The Wiz in their current state are irrelevant. I’d love for that to change but it won’t under the current strategy.

Give me a break with that talk about the team being just as well off with Wall.  Westbrook clearly wasn’t right early on & the same could be said about Bertans, not to mention Beal missing time.  This team is coming together at the right time.  Nobody is saying they are a championship team as constructed but I honestly believe they could hang with any team in the East.  You’re kidding yourself if you think tanking solves anything.  There isn’t a LeBron James in this draft class.  Not even close. 

3 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Ok so when they tank who are they starting that is propelling them to championship status?  Even Zion can’t get his team above .500!!  Did you see last years draft?  What a joke that was. Cmon.  

No one expects the Wiz to tank and instantly be contenders. What are the Wiz two seasons from now? Paying a 34 year old Westbrook in the final year of his deal and giving a 30 year old Beal a supermax all to maybe be a 7 or 8 seed? That’s a bad plan. 

What was the best opportunity for the Wizards to be contenders in the last decade? When they drafted Wall 1st and Beal 3rd. EG sucks at finding a long term third option and made some horrendous deal but drafting high gave the Wiz a chance.

13 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Give me a break with that talk about the team being just as well off with Wall.  Westbrook clearly wasn’t right early on & the same could be said about Bertans, not to mention Beal missing time.  This team is coming together at the right time.  Nobody is saying they are a championship team as constructed but I honestly believe they could hang with any team in the East.  You’re kidding yourself if you think tanking solves anything.  There isn’t a LeBron James in this draft class.  Not even close. 

It's the only championship blueprint for a non destination city: sustained years of tanking until you get that generational talent (or talents).  Now you may still fall short even with years of high picks, but unless a superstar decides to pick DC as the place to converge with his friends, this team is not contending.  

9 minutes ago, bearrock said:

It's the only championship blueprint for a non destination city: sustained years of tanking until you get that generational talent (or talents).  Now you may still fall short even with years of high picks, but unless a superstar decides to pick DC as the place to converge with his friends, this team is not contending.  

Tanking in theory works but when there’s no franchise guys coming out of consecutive drafts you are wasting time taking the easy way out.  Tanking is a last resort IMO.  Westbrook/Beal is a MEAN backcourt.  They’re only a couple pieces away if you ask me.  I won’t argue that Brooks needs to go though lol

13 minutes ago, Hersh said:

No one expects the Wiz to tank and instantly be contenders. What are the Wiz two seasons from now? Paying a 34 year old Westbrook in the final year of his deal and giving a 30 year old Beal a supermax all to maybe be a 7 or 8 seed? That’s a bad plan. 

What was the best opportunity for the Wizards to be contenders in the last decade? When they drafted Wall 1st and Beal 3rd. EG sucks at finding a long term third option and made some horrendous deal but drafting high gave the Wiz a chance.

I agree that EG ****ed everything up.  Just can’t go back and change anything.  Tough task ahead.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Westbrook/Beal is a MEAN backcourt.  They’re only a couple pieces away if you ask me.  

Best of luck to Shep in successfully acquiring those pieces in the next few years before  Westbrook's decline without a high first round pick and no cap space.  He's gonna need a metric ton of it.