Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

16 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Tanking in theory works but when there’s no franchise guys coming out of consecutive drafts you are wasting time taking the easy way out.  Tanking is a last resort IMO.  Westbrook/Beal is a MEAN backcourt.  They’re only a couple pieces away if you ask me.  I won’t argue that Brooks needs to go though lol

I agree that EG ****ed everything up.  Just can’t go back and change anything.  Tough task ahead.

I'm guessing right now that Shep is back and Brooks is gone. I'm still bitter they got rid of the broadcast team a couple seasons ago. 

5 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

lots of negativity in a thread about a team that just won 8 in a row and has a decent path to the playoffs

It's the totality of the season and the constant disappointment. The Wiz are still three games out of what would be the playoffs if there wasn't a gimmick play in game. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

lots of negativity in a thread about a team that just won 8 in a row and has a decent path to the playoffs

Don't get me wrong, I've been enjoying the win streak, separately from my opinion on the overall direction of the team.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I won't get into the merits of tanking or anything of that nature. Just enjoy the winning while it lasts.

Fair enough.  I'll move on now.

Say what you will, this is the best team D I have seen from the Wizards in recent memory.  We actually defend the rim.  That was just crazy talk for years here.  People will focus Beal scoring or Westbrook's triple doubles, but doing so misses the biggest difference between the last dozen games and the beginning of the season.  They are playing D.  The next couple games will say a lot about how much is illusion.  Can we play teams like the Spurs and Lakers the same way?  If so, this may be a "real team." 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hersh said:

I'm guessing right now that Shep is back and Brooks is gone. I'm still bitter they got rid of the broadcast team a couple seasons ago. 

It's the totality of the season and the constant disappointment. The Wiz are still three games out of what would be the playoffs if there wasn't a gimmick play in game. 

Screw the broadcast team.  Obviously this team is inferior to Phil/Buckhantz.  What are you gonna do?  

I understand the constant disappointment I’ve been here the entire time.  I’m just saying that this is a weird time to be so disgruntled as a fan in the midst of an 8 game winning streak lol

5 hours ago, -JB- said:

Screw the broadcast team.  Obviously this team is inferior to Phil/Buckhantz.  What are you gonna do?  

I understand the constant disappointment I’ve been here the entire time.  I’m just saying that this is a weird time to be so disgruntled as a fan in the midst of an 8 game winning streak lol

If everyone including the coach return next year cause the Wiz get into the play in game, none of it is worth it. 

• Like 1

OK, I get the hating the job the front office and coach have done.  However, are they doing a good job now?  What I would hate to see is the team develop some chemestry, finally start defending, and us blow it up.  The question for me is whether the team we are seeing now is the real Wizards?  I mean they were decimated by injuries and COVID early in the season when they needed time to start learning to play together.  Now that we have finally had a stretch with a healthy Westbrook and Beal, aquired a good rim defender, and learned to anticipate the teammates, is this the team the front office has been trying to assemble for years?   Is it good enough to contend for anything but a middle of the 1st round pick? 

• Like 1

This team had plenty of games with a healthy Westbrook and Beal and lost. They are on a 8 game winning streak just to get to 6 games below .500. What y’all are hanging on to is how bad teams stay bad. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hersh, early in the year, would you say they were playing team D like we see now?  How long do you think it takes to learn to play together?  My concern is what we have seen lately has been the team we have been trying to build with 2 legit superstars and a supporting cast playing well enough (team D and shooters to space the floor).  For a change, we have a team that has learned how to play in the 4th quarter when our past teams found ways to loose. 

As critical as many of us were of the deal for Westbrook, he does seem to have a knack for making the stars around him better.  Do people still think we downgraded in switching Wall for him?  Realize, I loved Wall here and all he did for D.C.  He made 3pt shooters better and richer when they moved on with his drives and dishes.  I just think we are a better team now.  I think Westbrook is more consistent on both ends of the court, and his rebounding makes a huge difference.  Suddenly, we are in the top part of the league in team rebounding.   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gbear said:

Hersh, early in the year, would you say they were playing team D like we see now?  How long do you think it takes to learn to play together?  My concern is what we have seen lately has been the team we have been trying to build with 2 legit superstars and a supporting cast playing well enough (team D and shooters to space the floor).  For a change, we have a team that has learned how to play in the 4th quarter when our past teams found ways to loose. 

As critical as many of us were of the deal for Westbrook, he does seem to have a knack for making the stars around him better.  Do people still think we downgraded in switching Wall for him?  Realize, I loved Wall here and all he did for D.C.  He made 3pt shooters better and richer when they moved on with his drives and dishes.  I just think we are a better team now.  I think Westbrook is more consistent on both ends of the court, and his rebounding makes a huge difference.  Suddenly, we are in the top part of the league in team rebounding.   

If the Wiz want to take a shot next season with Russ and Beal if they have a new head coach and GM, cool. Go for it. I’ve said I would be perfectly happy with Russ running with a bunch of young players the next two seasons. What isn’t a long term winning strategy is the status quo. 

52 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Couldn’t fathom being a fan actively rooting for my team to lose.

I don't actively root for them to lose, but I understand the possible terrible side-effects of late season success.  

Some fans accept mediocrity forever. That's cool. To each their own. After spending decades cheering for teams, I have no interest in spending more time watching bad organizations or teams play sports. So many other things to do and plenty of other entertainment to watch. I stopped watching the WFT about 12 years ago. Been done with the O's for a couple years. Love the Caps and they've probably given me the most heartache in my life.

The Wiz, I still have a sliver of hope for though it took Ted way too long to fire. I think Ted was right to look outside the organization for a new GM and that things will improve if they go that route this off-season. That's my hope for the organization. They bring Brooks back, I'm out. 

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

I don't actively root for them to lose, but I understand the possible terrible side-effects of late season success.  

Some fans accept mediocrity forever. That's cool. To each their own. After spending decades cheering for teams, I have no interest in spending more time watching bad organizations or teams play sports. So many other things to do and plenty of other entertainment to watch. I stopped watching the WFT about 12 years ago. Been done with the O's for a couple years. Love the Caps and they've probably given me the most heartache in my life.

The Wiz, I still have a sliver of hope for though it took Ted way too long to fire. I think Ted was right to look outside the organization for a new GM and that things will improve if they go that route this off-season. That's my hope for the organization. They bring Brooks back, I'm out. 

If you’re insinuating that I accept mediocrity forever, you were the O’s fan.  Sorry you don’t know what it’s like to root for a championship team.  Especially a championship team like the Nats who started the season horribly at 19-31 before taking the championship.  I don’t care how teams start.  The Wiz were dreadful early on.  That’s not the case right now.  12 games left and a chance to move up even more in the standings.  The Wiz have been awful for many years absolutely.  Also, they have shown promise in years past with some of the Wall/Beal teams.  I’m happy they traded Wall for Westbrook.  I don’t get attached to players.  It was the smart basketball move as also trading for Gafford was.  No reason to fire the GM because he has actually made moves that have positively affected this team.  Did you expect him to come in and win a championship his first couple years with the roster he inherited?  Who would you hire as GM?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, -JB- said:

If you’re insinuating that I accept mediocrity forever, you were the O’s fan.  Sorry you don’t know what it’s like to root for a championship team.  Especially a championship team like the Nats who started the season horribly at 19-31 before taking the championship.  I don’t care how teams start.  The Wiz were dreadful early on.  That’s not the case right now.  12 games left and a chance to move up even more in the standings.  The Wiz have been awful for many years absolutely.  Also, they have shown promise in years past with some of the Wall/Beal teams.  I’m happy they traded Wall for Westbrook.  I don’t get attached to players.  It was the smart basketball move as also trading for Gafford was.  No reason to fire the GM because he has actually made moves that have positively affected this team.  Did you expect him to come in and win a championship his first couple years with the roster he inherited?  Who would you hire as GM?

It's like you don't read what people write. I'm a Caps fan and they won a Cup a few years ago. I guess you don't follow hockey?

When Westbrook was bad early in the season, I defended the trade. How much different would the record be if Wall was still here, I don't know, but probably not much worse if we are being honest. Again, I like Westbrook. Hopefully you read this part. 

At the end of the day, Shep was a part of the EG regime and in his two years as GM, the Wiz have had two sub. 500 seasons in a terrible conference. He gets credit for the Gafford trade to this point.  Rui and Deni have some potential but I'm not sure how one develops them with two ball dominant guards. Certainly Brooks has not excelled at it. I did not expect them to win a championship, no one has even remotely hinted at that. I expect a GM to pick a direction. If you want to go for it now, you add an established third option by trading the likes of Deni and Rui. If you want to rebuild, take a year or two to gather assets and reset the salary cap. What they are doing now doesn't work near or long term. 

I don't have a particular preference for who would be the new GM. Someone with front office experience from a well run organization. 

Edited by Hersh

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

It's like you don't read what people write. I'm a Caps fan and they won a Cup a few years ago. I guess you don't follow hockey?

When Westbrook was bad early in the season, I defended the trade. How much different would the record be if Wall was still here, I don't know, but probably not much worse if we are being honest. Again, I like Westbrook. Hopefully you read this part. 

At the end of the day, Shep was a part of the EG regime and in his two years as GM, the Wiz have had two sub. 500 seasons in a terrible conference. He gets credit for the Gafford trade to this point.  Rui and Deni have some potential but I'm not sure how one develops them with two ball dominant guards. Certainly Brooks has not excelled at it. I did not expect them to win a championship, no one has even remotely hinted at that. I expect a GM to pick a direction. If you want to go for it now, you add an established third option by trading the likes of Deni and Rui. If you want to rebuild, take a year or two to gather assets and reset the salary cap. What they are doing now doesn't work near or long term. 

I don't have a particular preference for who would be the new GM. Someone with front office experience from a well run organization. 

I think Tommy has generally done a solid job at acquisitions. In terms of FA, Neto has been a fantastic get at the league minimum. Lopez has been solid value and Ish was ok in year 1 and has been crap in year 2. Isaiah Thomas was a bad get but he was signed for a minimum deal. In terms of trades, Bertans for a trade exception was excellent. Getting Wagner, Bonga and the others for nothing was solid value - I know we traded Wagner and Bonga rides the bench but it was a good bet. This year, Gafford has been a fantastic get at the deadline.

To you point, however, the issue is that Tommy hasn't chosen a direction. You can't surround Beal and Westbrook with a bunch of guys on rookie contracts. I think we are in need of at least a scoring combo guard off the bench and a 3&D wing. Ideally, you want to go find that star big man and pay up with a number of picks and players to get it done to truly compete. Part of Tommy's challenge is that Ted is cheap and is trying to avoid the luxury tax. 

Either way, with anyone who is signed this offseason, excluding the center position, they should have good three point shooting ability. That is the team's biggest weakness

Edited by method man
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, method man said:

To you point, however, the issue is that Tommy hasn't chosen a direction. You can't surround Beal and Westbrook with a bunch of guys on rookie contracts. I think we are in need of at least a scoring combo guard off the bench and a 3&D wing. Ideally, you want to go find that star big man and pay up with a number of picks and players to get it done to truly compete. Part of Tommy's challenge is that Ted is cheap and is trying to avoid the luxury tax. 

This articulates my main point far better than I have done. 

On a side now about the Shep discussion, earlier this off-season Quinton Mayo reported that Bertans was made available to select teams for a trade. First year of a new deal and they were willing to trade him. I wouldn't have been unhappy but that shows serious indecision. 

3 hours ago, Hersh said:

This articulates my main point far better than I have done. 

On a side now about the Shep discussion, earlier this off-season Quinton Mayo reported that Bertans was made available to select teams for a trade. First year of a new deal and they were willing to trade him. I wouldn't have been unhappy but that shows serious indecision. 

I like Bertans but when you have a cheap owner who refuses to go over the tax, you can't go pay a backup $15M a year like the Nets did with Joe Harris and what the Clippers did with Kennard

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hersh said:

I’m not reading all that LOL

But seriously John Wall is out for the season again.  Pretty laughable to not say we made out pretty good on that trade.  Westbrook has always been & is superior to John Wall.  Great trade considering it was the only way to dump that terrible contract.  At least Westbrook has brought a positive vibe to this team & once he hit stride they are winning.  8 straight is nothing to sneeze at & it does point to a direction.  They have clearly molded a cohesive unit.  It takes time.  Grunfeld had us down in the dumps.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I’m not reading all that LOL

But seriously John Wall is out for the season again.  Pretty laughable to not say we made out pretty good on that trade. 

6 hours ago, Hersh said:

I'm beginning to see the issue....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Wiz offense is near unstoppable at this point, even with Russ shooting 25%.  Beal is running a layup drill tonight, and almost every night.

Defense?  Well...maybe.

What more could you have asked for down the stretch of this season than the way they have really come together and started playing right now?? Team is gutsy as hell!  Don’t care how they started because they dealt with a lot.  This is the team i expected to see at some point this season.