Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Didn't see Nene's dunk on Lebron or his block of Lebron's shot on the highlights. loved the "bandwagon cam"

Not on ESPN's highlights. But I've seen it gleefully reported at Yahoo.

Nene also blocked the crap out of a Chris Bosh attempt late in the game. It was when Miami was trying to make a run after they closed it to nine and I thought that was the most momentous block. Symbolically clamping down on their comeback.

The best thing about that win was how you could see LeBron trying everything to light a fire under the team and get all the freaking bandwagon fans in the Arena into it. Letting the ball roll down the court and staring down our players. Hooping it up after dunks when he was down by 20. Talking trash about his numbers going into the game. Blocked a shot and did his stare down. Didn't matter, we ended up beating their pants off. His team had five days of rest and still got completely worn out.

The Heat don't really have an answer for Nene and other players like him. And I think that's a potentially serious problem for them this year. Golden State has David Lee and Andrew Bogut. Houston has Dwight Howard. Indiana has Roy Hibbert and David West. Hell even Detroit has Drummond and Monroe and Smith. What if Miami ends up getting a nightmare matchup early in the playoffs with a big front court that can score?

I think in their heart of hearts, Miami is hoping they don't have to play teams like Indy or GS. That someone upsets Indy and they get a smaller team out of the West..

Wall is going to get in. He'll get in on fan voting but if he wasn't, the coaches would pick him.

No other Wizard is going to get in. But every coach CSN has asked about Wall has said he's an AS.

He should start too IMO, but I don't know if he will. Wade will start if he's healthy, and then Kyrie Irving might start at point. But they should do Wall at PG, Paul George at SG, LeBron at SF, Melo at PF, and Hibbert at C.

Watched that whole game and was telling my dad there were two reasons it was that quite even when we were beating the crap out of them in that first quarter: Miami fans stunned and wizard fans praying they didn't let them complete the comeback. Even Phil and Steve were like "ya, we're up, but will we stay up, cause they're coming". They did, but we wouldn't have it.

Last 3 minutes of that game were truly special once the home crowd realized we were really going to pull this off. I know its tacky to get this excited about a regular season wins, but after all the nonsense I've been forced to watch that is DC sports, I felt a little vindicated for my patience on that one.

Just starting to fit into how I feel about this team: you can destroy us by stopping our fastbreak, but if you don't, you're asking for it (doesn't matter who you are). Redskins are my favorite team, but right now John Wall is my favorite player. I don't think there's a single player in this city that wants to win more then him, and you see it every game, not every once in a while.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Trevor Ariza played with a 102 degree fever, vomitted on the sidelines

WASHINGTON -- LeBron James is bigger, faster and stronger than almost anyone in the NBA. He's the best ball handler of his size since Magic Johnson, is a freak athlete, is making almost 65 percent of his two point attempts and is the beneficiary of almost every call that could go either way. He plays on a team full of knockdown shooters and has the confidence that comes with being unquestionably the best player in his profession.

And Trevor Ariza had to chase him around the court all night. With a 102 degree fever. And an inability to keep food down.

Ariza showed up to the Verizon Center before the game sick, but insisted that he play. He did as good a job as can hoped for against Bron Bron, holding him to 25 points, forcing four turnovers and holding him to 44 percent shooting. He wasn't shut down, per se, but King James simply looked like a great basketball player rather than someone who's not of this earth.

"Trevor, who was under the weather this morning, gave me his all," Randy Wittman said. "He wasn't feeling up and now he's got to come out and guard Lebron. He's probably sicker now."

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2014/1/16/5314274/trevor-ariza-washington-wizards-lebron-james

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Such an important back to back starting tonight. We're going to be competing with the Bulls and Pistons for seeding all season long. We've got to find a way to get these two wins and carry our momentum from that Heat win forward.

Can never look past the Bulls. We can't get complacent after beating the pants off Miami. The Bulls are still on a hot-streak, winning all of their games since they traded Deng except the one against us.

Also worth mentioning we're not a strong home team, and Chicago and Detroit are decent on the road.

An on a semi-related note, we're 10-10 on the road. That's really good considering where we were the past four years. For comparison, Miami is 11-8 on the road. We're respectable on the road now.

Just starting to fit into how I feel about this team: you can destroy us by stopping our fastbreak, but if you don't, you're asking for it (doesn't matter who you are). Redskins are my favorite team, but right now John Wall is my favorite player. I don't think there's a single player in this city that wants to win more then him, and you see it every game, not every once in a while.

And there isn't a single player in this city who has had to overcome the **** that Wall has been given practically his whole career. The guy didn't end up being a bust despite being shoved into ****ty rosters after ****ty rosters.

This is really the first semi competent roster he's had to work with and even this one is flawed.

• Like 3

The Wizaeds need to find consistency and a way of beating teams that aren't terrible. The east is too close and any losing streak could see them tumble down the standings. I think the Nets have figured something out, or are close to it, and they'll be rising fast in the east. Hopefully that win against Miami gives them a boost and they can string some wins together.

Edited by Destino