Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Harden is not going to draw any top notch players to Houston with his name. Harden got his name and cache riding the coat tails of Westbrook and Durant. On a great team he's a glorified role player. On a mediocre team he's a volume scorer who doesn't provide much of an uptick in the W/L column.

Again with the volume scorer claim. Don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

---------- Post added December-11th-2012 at 09:47 PM ----------

Joe Johnson is one of the worst contracts in the NBA and Atlanta was fortunate to get out of that deal after a few years. He's case in point what paying and building around a feaux star like a franchise player gets you. He puts up awesome numbers and has a few skills he does really well and it gets your team nowhere.

His contract is much higher and his production much lower. But otherwise... Yeah same thing. Yup.

Edited by Destino

24ppg on 17 shots is volume scoring on you planet? Look up Dirk Nowitzky and then come back and tell me that again. You are simply wrong.

Btw this is what his pay looks like.

James Harden

Yup clearly far too much to pay a good player. Better to shell that out for trash and role players.

I didn't say it's better to waste a ton of money on trash and role players. Both strategies get you nowhere.

Harden is a role player BTW.

Dirk is a legit franchise player and a first ballot HoFer, Harden isn't fit to hold his jock. There is no comparison between them. A healthy Dirk alone gets your team to 50 wins and a playoff seed.

Harden is 24 and would be someone to help Wall stay. John Wall isn't staying in DC after his rookie deal. This team is the new bobcats

Wall's not leaving any time soon. Nobody turns down the rookie max and I seriously doubt there would be any other team out there actually willing to give him that kind of contract. I'm not even completely sure we should any more. Where he is at today, and where we are, he doesn't deserve it.

Dirk is a legit franchise player and a first ballot HoFer, Harden isn't fit to hold his jock. There is no comparison between them. A healthy Dirk alone gets your team to 50 wins and a playoff seed.

Is Dirk a volume scorer? That has nothing to do with anything but attempts versus points. You claim that Harden is a volume scorer and his points versus attempts look just like Hardens. So let me see you claim that Nowitzky is a volume scorer and then I'll move on to the next star with similar PPS and we can do this again until you realize how absurd your argument is.

Again with the volume scorer claim. Don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

---------- Post added December-11th-2012 at 09:47 PM ----------

His contract is much higher and his production much lower. But otherwise... Yeah same thing. Yup.

Joe Johnson was a 20, 5, and 5 player on 45% shooting with a nasty inside--out and post up game with the ability to guard four positions and defend the wing at a high level when he signed his max deal. He was the best player on a middling playoff team. And it was an absolutely terrible contract that kept Atlanta from contending even though they already had a lot of talent and two All Stars in their front court. He was not a legit star and you can't build a contender around him as your franchise player.

What does Houston have now with Harden? Where are they going? What's their plan?

What would we have with Harden? What would our plan be?

You're bullish on Harden because you're negative about our situation, tired of being a laughingstock and you'd be willing to settle for mediocrity.

First of all, the nets are damn good despite Joe Johnson's contract. Second Joe Johnson 31. Third Johnson didn't crack 21 ppg until year seven and took 20 shots a game to do it. Harden is in year four and takes 17. Sorry but he's not Joe Johnson.

Houston doesn't have a second star. We have Wall entering year three. They give us wins and they are tradable assets if Wall works out. Instead what do we have now? The worst team in the nba and the endless hope of another draft pick. Awesome plan!

Edited by Destino

Is Dirk a volume scorer? That has nothing to do with anything but attempts versus points. You claim that Harden is a volume scorer and his points versus attempts look just like Hardens. So let me see you claim that Nowitzky is a volume scorer and then I'll move on to the next star with similar PPS and we can do this again until you realize how absurd your argument is.

Harden is scoring 24 PPG on poor shooting %s playing a ton of minutes for a late lottery team. What has you all hot and bothered about that? Where is the comparison to Dirk coming from? Dirk was the man on a team that won 50+ games for 11 straight years with a healthy Dirk.

Harden is riding high in goodwill because of what he was able to achieve last season playing third wheel to Russ and KD on a great OKC team. He even got a spot on the Olympic team out of it. In a couple years when people have forgotten how good he was that season and Houston caps out as an 8 seed, he's not going to be any more highly regarded than Joe Johnson is now that the shine wore off on him.

Answer this, what is the one thing that Harden does that's elite? What's the one thing he's got that makes him a star?

Every franchise player in the league has something you can point to physically or in his skill set.

Shooting percentage matter a great deal less that shots versus points or Points Per Shot. Why? Because Harden lives at the free throw line 9.4 attempts per game. His elite skill is his ability to attack the basket forcing contact while still being a decent shooter from the outside. He can generate his own shot and pass the ball well.

You claimed he's a volume scorer I countered that 24 points on 17 shots is not a volume scoring.

Edited by Destino

This was one of Beal's best games so far. It's an example of how +/- is not that useful in isolation. Scoring wasn't that outstanding but he was rebounding and defending and distributing the ball well. Picked his spots on offense. I'd like to see him be a lot more aggressive with the ball in his hands and take more shots but he can make an impact without shooting that much.

Shooting percentage matter a great deal less that shots versus points or Points Per Shot. Why? Because Harden lives at the free throw line 9.4 attempts per game. His elite skill is his ability to attack the basket forcing contact while still being a decent shooter from the outside. He can generate his own shot and pass the ball well.

You claimed he's a volume scorer I countered that 24 points on 17 shots is not a volume scoring.

24 PPG on .429 from the field is not that good. You're right he's been good getting to the line and he's a great FT shooter but that's all he's doing well and it's what's propping up his scoring.

He's not been a decent outside shooter this year. He's shooting an awful .330 on jumpers, 92nd in the NBA. You can just tell from watching him that he can't get himself good shots from outside when he doesn't have better players spacing the floor for him. And Houston actually has good shooters around him and can space the floor pretty well. It's really clear in crunch time situations when he has to be the man and defenses tighten up on him. He's just not fast and he's not that big or athletic and he hasn't gotten it done.

Houston is no better now than they were last year. If he was a true star you'd have seen an uptick right away.

Houston messed up grabbing Lin at the contract they did. But i think they will have much better upside with their roster than we will because they already have a marketable player on a team that is one of the most marketable in the world. I think this offseason they will add a PF who can really help contribute. I say they are a 40 win team next year. Meanwhile we will possibly be grabbing another lottery pick based on potential.

yeah, I think im just going to tune this team out until Wall comes back. Even if they win, I really dont care. And when Wall comes back, if he dont play well I will start thinking about the 2014 NBA draft.

Harden and Wall could have been a great back court. That actually looks like a team that could make the playoffs. And Harden is only 23, 24? Yeah, thanks Ern-dawg. And thank you Ted for showing that you are a cheapskate like Abe was.

To purgatory we go, To purgatory we go, hi-hio the derry-o to purgatory we go.

---------- Post added December-12th-2012 at 01:24 AM ----------

If Singleton could handle the ball, he would be such a good player. A legitimately good offensive player to go along with his defense and rebounding.

Why haven't we made it a point to get him, Booker, Seraphin, and Vesely some handles? Seraphin needs to be able to acquit himself against doubles to take the next step and Ves and Booker are fast enough to get to the rim if they could dribble but both have legitimately terrible handles.

you realize these guys are all in their 20s. You can learn to shoot better, but your handles are your handles at this point.

You learn the game, and gain confidence in your dribbling, when you are playing in middle school and HS. U ever play ball before?

---------- Post added December-12th-2012 at 01:26 AM ----------

Harden is 24 and would be someone to help Wall stay. John Wall isn't staying in DC after his rookie deal. This team is the new bobcats

no, Wall is staying. The way the NBA system is rigged, he has no choice but to stay.

But I guarantee you there will be an early out clause.

Edited by AsiaticSkinsFan

you realize these guys are all in their 20s. You can learn to shoot better, but your handles are your handles at this point.

You learn the game, and gain confidence in your dribbling, when you are playing in middle school and HS. U ever play ball before?

Yes.

And you can absolutely learn to improve your ball handling at any point in life. Saying you can't is letting the organization and our players off the hook. Advanced dribbles and off hand speed and comfort can always be learned and improved. Many NBA players do it. It takes hours of work, just like improving shooting. Our players just aren't doing it and I doubt the organization has told them they need to or offered to help them.