Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

• BRAVEONAWARPATH changed the title to The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc
3 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

The Wizards are so ****ty they can’t even get their own thread ! 😆

I mean, it's different situation entirely. 

There's no major league softball or women's hockey in par with the WNBA, and Mystics jus recently won a championship.

The closest minor league affliat for the Nats or Caps is Fredericksburg, the Go-Go play in DC.

Thread title was overdue, we'd talkin about them here on off for a while, so I glad for the title change so I don't have to guess. 

Nats thread talk about their farm system more then I see in the Caps thread, remember living in Norfolk when their affiliate ran up a ridiculous win streak and won the championship. Don't remember it really being touched on in that thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Beal was drafted too and John Wall

Neither could be argued as being an impact player like Booker or Giannis. So how do the Wizards win if they can never luck into that talent?

Really?  How long you been following this thread? 

How many posts and discussions have we had here about players we passed over due to multiple reasons like bad scouting or straight arrogance?

With Booker, two picks later was Oubre who we traded for with Motrez Harrell still in the board.  How much was what the Bucks did luck over seeing a prospect and doing what they could to develop him including investing in the culture around him? The Bucks clearly saw something and had a plan for it, it wasn't jus dumb luck.

Raw talent that could develop here typically doesn't because of how bad the culture and development has been here.  We complained relentlessly about coaches like Whitman constantly crushing the souls of young players that we were trying to develop with respect to playing time and other things.

Not to mention how many drafts over the years have we not had first our second round picks because of trading them. Poker involves luck but also a lot of skill,  not that luck doesn't matter, but skill matters a lot more then some people realize.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 9:58 AM, Renegade7 said:

Really?  How long you been following this thread? 

How many posts and discussions have we had here about players we passed over due to multiple reasons like bad scouting or straight arrogance?

With Booker, two picks later was Oubre who we traded for with Motrez Harrell still in the board.  How much was what the Bucks did luck over seeing a prospect and doing what they could to develop him including investing in the culture around him? The Bucks clearly saw something and had a plan for it, it wasn't jus dumb luck.

Raw talent that could develop here typically doesn't because of how bad the culture and development has been here.  We complained relentlessly about coaches like Whitman constantly crushing the souls of young players that we were trying to develop with respect to playing time and other things.

Not to mention how many drafts over the years have we not had first our second round picks because of trading them. Poker involves luck but also a lot of skill,  not that luck doesn't matter, but skill matters a lot more then some people realize.

but shepherd is a better gm than ernie come on

even guys like abjia and rui are okay but not elite. kispert is fine but is a supporting cast member and not a star

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

but shepherd is a better gm than ernie come on

even guys like abjia and rui are okay but not elite. kispert is fine but is a supporting cast member and not a star

No argument here, I agree on what you stated here.

I don't get your point in context of what got us here, your claim about needing to luck into superstars and us jus not having that luck and never getting that luck.

I'm open to giving Shep a chance to pull it off, him having the balls to trade Wall (a clear fan favorite) for a superstar (which is new for the Wizards) tells me if he can't draft one he isn't afraid to trade for one.

In the immediate sense, I jus want them to bring Wall back in a non-max contract to pair with what we already have and see how it goes.  He doesn't need to go beyond 20/10, has never had a front court like what we have now, and Beal is in his final form. 

Wall being able to stay in his lane instead of being the face of franchise and not being an equal focal point of the offense from the scoring perspecting as Beal is overdue, hope to see it at least once.

Edited by Renegade7

That bridge with Wall is burned.

Seems the Wizards will be 6th or 7th seed at best until they luck into someone like Giannis or Luka and even just having Luka doesn't guarantee a championship

That said the fact that Shephard got rid of not one but 2 huge contracts, they should give him an award for that lol

Edited by ixcuincle

42 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

That bridge with Wall is burned.

Wall has already talked publicly about being open to coming back, even Beal was asked about it and supported it.

Seems the Wizards will be 6th or 7th seed at best until they luck into someone like Giannis or Luka and even just having Luka doesn't guarantee a championship

Unless you have some evidence to back up your claim of being luck only, stop saying that.  What's the point of having a GM or even trying if it's literally nothing but a dice roll?  We were typically 4 or 5 seeds during peak Wall Era, so the bolded isn't true either.

That said the fact that Shephard got rid of not one but 2 huge contracts, they should give him an award for that lol

Clearly a cat with nine lives, now he has to get better at stopping putting himself in situations he has to get himself out of like that in the first place before I call him a good GM (or at least cut down on it)

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

You are quick.  About to post this.  Good move.

Yeah Chris filled in for some games and the chemistry was already better than Justin and Drew

The WAPO article also says Drew is coming back. Ideally Steve and Phil would do commentary but sadly I don't think it'll happen again